First look: Hands-on with the all-new Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEddie View Post

battery life?

Gotta be at least 12 hours, maybe more?

• Reply 22 of 162

Wasn't interested in a watch before, and still not sure if I would be. I'd have to see it in person when they are finally available.

However, it's clear Apple thought about this more than the other companies out there who did just what Apple said not to - take the phone experience and shrink it down to a watch sized device. It shows Apple still pays attention to details (except for that stupid protruding camera ring on the iPhone 6).

• Reply 23 of 162

As a lefty I am concerned.  The web is abuzz with lefties who are concerned.  Apple made no mention about how lefties can use it or the screen inverting.  No details on the Apple website are available about left handed use, and we can't just wear it on the wrong arm because using a touch screen with our right hands would be a bit like trying to write with them.  Huge Apple miss either in presentation and information, or in forgetting 12% of the population entirely.

• Reply 24 of 162
    Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

How is this different or better thsn whats out there..?

Perfect, development-level iOS integration is the big seller.

• Reply 25 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by total View Post

i wonder how many years do i need to be here not to be "newbie".

Well, probably more than 26 posts.  :rolleyes:

• Reply 26 of 162
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

LOL @ people not knowing about UI inversion when it's been around since forever. LMAO!

• Reply 27 of 162

iOS on your wrist is the big draw here. Perfectly implemented. 

And it *is* a BIG draw. 

I'm impressed.

• Reply 28 of 162
    What a pity they referred to the horological sector, rather than to much cooler design minded sectors such as music or sports scene. These watches look very much like Seiko.... Boring....
  • Reply 29 of 162
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    total wrote: »
    that is really ugly, it looks so boring. i dont understand, why they hired that expert from LVHM. so my summary from today is that nothing innovative introduced, so now it will be real test, whether customers will buy this.

Nice try newbie. You are either being paid by Samsung or just aren't capable of being objective.

Seriously; I haven't worn a watch in 55 years but must say I'm impressed with the features and technology in this device. I'm not convinced that I will ever be interested to the point in buying but I will be reading up on the technology as it filters out.
  • Reply 30 of 162
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

<edit>

• Reply 31 of 162

I'm a longtime Apple user and supporter of their products and services, but I lost a little faith in Apple's software capabilities today. Things I thought were appropriate for the watch were Apple Pay, controlling music playback, displaying time, displaying messages, and everything health related.  I feel that some of the software features that were designed to run on Apple's watch (finding movie show times, viewing photos, having a large array of apps) are proof that the task can migrate to the wrist, rather than function best on the wrist.  The physical design is great and I loved the variety of wristband options. I could care less about battery and price, as hardware details always get better with new iterations. I feel that many of the software features announced today for the Apple watch which attempt to give the user information and require sorting, or searching are better performed on a smartphone and thus make the watch seem as a gimmick.  I'll stick with my ten dollar Casio that does each of its five functions perfectly.

• Reply 32 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonne View Post

What a pity they referred to the horological sector, rather than to much cooler design minded sectors such as music or sports scene. These watches look very much like Seiko.... Boring....

(i)Watch 2.

Designs can change. 

• Reply 33 of 162
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    onepotato wrote: »
    I wonder how the lefties are going to be able to reach the crown without obscuring the display (which was the stated reason for not using pinch to zoom).

lantzn wrote: »
    I'm wondering if it's interchangeable for left handed people. Can it be swapped to the right wrist and have the display flip 180? I know the digital crown would now be on the lower left instead of the top but that shouldn't be too big an issue.
    This is my big concern, too. I'm left handed, and I wear my watch on my right wrist. I also know some right handers who also wear their watches on the right wrist. Apple haven't been great about left handers in the past - the iPhone 5 microphone arrangement has caused me problems when holding the phone in my left hand - but it hasn't stopped me being able to use the device. (I either hold it at an odd angle, or use the headset. Actual phonecalls aren't my main use of the phone.)

With the watch, however, this could potentially be a major problem, with the main UI component being mounted on one side of the device. Even if producing a left-handed specific version (which I doubt they'll do) it doesn't accommodate those of us who might want to switch wrists periodically. (Most of the time, I would wear it as a "second" watch, with my actual watch on my right wrist, but then I might want to swap the AppleWatch to my right wrist in certain circumstances where I might not have my main watch.)
    nagromme wrote: »
    The UI can apparently invert. Wear it with the knob on either side you wish.e knob on either side you wish.
    Have you got a source for this? I haven't seen anything demonstrating that ability. Certainly it wasn't mentioned in the keynote (unless it was while it was rebuffering, or while U2 was playing), and all the publicity shots shown are of it on someone's left wrist.

Having it invert isn't the best solution, either. At least not with that design. Moving the crown to the centre of the device would make that neater, but then you still have issues with the button placement. I'd have thought that having the button and the crown centred on opposite sides would be an elegant solution, but I'm not an expert in design or useability.
  • Reply 34 of 162
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

How is this different or better thsn whats out there..?

Not bring a troll... Just curios!

Maybe because it doesn't look like it came out of steampunk nightmare, and actually integrates with bands that can look really good? 

I actually think the 360 looks fine, but it can never scale to the functionality of this device.

• Reply 35 of 162
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    iOS on your wrist is the big draw here. Perfectly implemented. 

And it *is* a BIG draw. 

I'm impressed.

Yes, and the iPhone makes a very nice communication and storage accessory for the watch.
  • Reply 36 of 162
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

What gets me about the watch is the exquisite attention to mechanical detail - something that is apparently under appreciated by many of the critics.  The forms, the machining, the precision and the innovation all spot on.  I particularly liked the easily resized stainless band.  The guy pulled out the segments by just pushing a tab with his fingernail.  Genius.

I never had any concern about software, since this is Apple we knew they would get that right.  

• Reply 37 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Nice try newbie. You are either being paid by Samsung or just aren't capable of being objective.

Seriously; I haven't worn a watch in 55 years but must say I'm impressed with the features and technology in this device. I'm not convinced that I will ever be interested to the point in buying but I will be reading up on the technology as it filters out.

dont be paranoid, i never had samsung, i always had iphone, but im also not wearing pink glasses and i see how is world changing, that is all. there is already lot of models of watches, some models from last IFA show looked attractive to me. But yeah it is too new and im not objective and maybe people want to monitor heartrate 24/7/365 and want vibrating watches while they drive car. For me it is over limit already, i dont want to be monitored such way. 

• Reply 38 of 162
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEddie View Post

battery life?

Yes.

• Reply 39 of 162
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

As a lefty I am concerned.  The web is abuzz with lefties who are concerned.  Apple made no mention about how lefties can use it or the screen inverting.  No details on the Apple website are available about left handed use, and we can't just wear it on the wrong arm because using a touch screen with our right hands would be a bit like trying to write with them.  Huge Apple miss either in presentation and information, or in forgetting 12% of the population entirely.

Even if Apple have given it no thought before today, it is a simple firmware update to allow the display to rotate to left handed mode. It will probably be a feature by launch.

If you are truly concerned, your venue to express it is here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

• Reply 40 of 162

for all the people complaining about lefties - i suspect many of them are righties - and just being ornery - it seems you can already invert the display - putting the crown towards your wrist if you wear it on your right hand.

I have a couple of nice TAG watches, an Omega - hey I'm not bragging, but they are very nice watches - and guess what - wear them on the wrong hand and there is no magic invert button -