U2 to give their new LP to every iTunes customer for free in largest album release ever

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2014
Adding to the tsunami of major announcements coming out of Cupertino on Friday, Apple and Irish rockers U2 teamed up to give away a free copy the band's new album to each one of the more than 500 million iTunes customers in 119 countries around the world.

Apple CEO Tim Cook made the announcement standing alongside U2 frontman Bono at the end of the company's event earlier Tuesday. Following a performance of their new single, Bono asked Cook if he could help release the album.

"Well, we have iTunes," Cook replied.

The two then joined together on a five-second countdown, with Cook declaring at the end that that "actually happened." The album will become available in users' libraries throughout the day, and will remain exclusive to iTunes --?for free -- until Oct. 13.

In addition, the album will stream over iTunes Radio and through Beats Music. Cook said that the event represents the largest album release in the history of the music industry.

Word of U2's involvement leaked last week, but the band flatly denied those reports, likely at Apple's behest. "They are not releasing their album on the iPhone, and they are not performing at the iPhone launch," the band's representative said at the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Took over 20 minutes before you could even see the album in the iTunes Store - where it says I've already purchased it.
    Not in my library though, nor is it listed as an "available download".
    Another 'not impressive' performance. :no:
    I have a feeling Apple flatly failed to account for
    sheer volume in any of today's endeavors.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Took over 20 minutes before you could even see the album in the iTunes Store

And two minutes before it showed up in my library.

Turn on “iTunes in the Cloud” purchases.

Another 'not impressive' performance. image

Nah.

• Reply 3 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "U2 spokesman" has just stolen the crown from DigiTimes for Most Unreliable Source of Information.

(P.S. Even though I have all the iTunes cloud options turned on, the album does NOT appear in my library, yet shows as Purchased in the store. I'm sure it will eventually appear--just pointing out that Boredumb is not wrong. It's not working the same for everyone instantly.)
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:

Took over 20 minutes before you could even see the album in the iTunes Store - where it says I've already purchased it.

To be fair, Cook did say it would take a little longer than five seconds to "get across the whole Internet." I still haven't been able to see or download it, but I'll try later. It's a nice bonus for me since I'm a U2 fan and would have bought the new album.

• Reply 5 of 31
    Go to the iTunes Store, click on Purchased under Quick Links on the top right of the page.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

Come on people. It is a free album from a great band. This could become the biggest music download there has ever been. I remember when Apple released OS 7. For the first day or so it was difficult and time consumming to download. If you waited a few more days it was much quicker.  I am sure this will be sorted soon. 

• Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jax44 View Post

Go to the iTunes Store, click on Purchased under Quick Links on the top right of the page.

...then click the cloud icon in the corner of the album cover image. That worked, thanks!

• Reply 8 of 31

... The album will become available in users' libraries throughout the day, ...

Patience.... it's a virtue.

• Reply 9 of 31

Yep. Thanks for adding that last detail, I should have.

• Reply 10 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Another 'not impressive' performance. :no:
    How many other albums have you had for free <20 minutes after you became aware of its existence?

My entitlement complex says I can't stand U2, can't we have some free Dre?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It's official: Apple products give their customers a bono.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I was able to see it in the store and download less than 2 hours after the announcement. No problems at all. For once, being in a quiet corner of the world (Denmark) seems to have its advantages.
  • Reply 13 of 31

"Largest Album Release Ever"  What is the significance of that title/headline?

• Reply 14 of 31
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The widest release in history.

• Reply 15 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I wonder how much Apple paid U2 for this album? I wonder how much U2 usually makes on a new album release. It’s gotta be in the multi-millions?

• Reply 16 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

You have no idea how big iTunes really is, do you. It literally dwarfs any other music store on the planet, Amazon and Google included. They don’t even come close.

Anyway, it takes 1,000,000 sales of an album to be classified Platinum. It takes 10,000,000 sales of an album to be classified Diamond. U2 just released an album to over 500,000,000 iTunes subscribers. It’s already in those 500,000,000 libraries. And Apple PAID U2 for that album. THAT’s why it is the “Largest Album Release Ever.” Any more questions?

• Reply 17 of 31
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Nice.  It's a pretty good album so far, about half-way through.  And really, can't complain when it's free. :)

• Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Another 'not impressive' performance. image

sounds like you would have blamed Apple even if U2 arrived at your door and handed it to you.

• Reply 19 of 31
    Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

sounds like you would have blamed Apple even if U2 arrived at your door and handed it to you.

If they gave me a private concert for free, I’d complain it’s too loud. If I moved to a distance where the sound was appropriate, I’d complain I couldn’t see the band.

This is based on the assumption that they wouldn’t turn it down, of course. Something something integrity of the composition something something Irish swearwords.

• Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"U2 spokesman" has just stolen the crown from DigiTimes for Most Unreliable Source of Information.

(P.S. Even though I have all the iTunes cloud options turned on, the album does NOT appear in my library, yet shows as Purchased in the store. I'm sure it will eventually appear--just pointing out that Boredumb is not wrong. It's not working the same for everyone instantly.)

He lived to 'spokes' another day...   and his cut of 500,000,000 in album sales in one day.  That buys a lot of Jameson's to staunch the pain of lying to tech reporters.

Tymmy 'Durden' Cook advised him of the first rule of Apple Events

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182095/u2-says-reports-of-apple-tie-up-for-iphone-6-are-untrue#post_2589598