Apple finally kills off iPod classic after 13 years of service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2014
Not mentioned during today's announcements, Apple has quietly removed the venerable iPod classic from its mobile music player lineup, paring down the company's offerings to the iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod shuffle.

The iPod classic descended from the original iPod and stayed on as a Click Wheel-toting outlier in Apple's lineup as the company moved to touchscreen interfaces and iOS. With its larger chassis, Apple was able to market the iPod classic as its most capacious player option, reaching 160GB of internal storage on a spinning hard drive.

Before axing the product, Apple carried the iPod classic's design over from the sixth-generation iPod, which was first unveiled in 2007. A few aesthetic tweaks came in 2009, but the overall shape and functional features remained unchanged for over six years.

With the classic no longer showing up on the Online Apple Store or Apple's dedicated iPod webpage, it is clear that an era has come to an end. Apple's portable music and video player offerings are now limited to flash-based 16GB, 32GB and 64GB iPod touch models, the 16GB iPod nano and 2GB iPod shuffle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Oh well. I have a junk drawer full of old iPods in case anyone wants one. (Except that I'm a packrat and never get rid of things, so I'm not actually giving them away.)
  • Reply 2 of 50

I wonder what will happen with iPod touch now that there are 2 screen sizes for the phone.

• Reply 3 of 50

Aww...

• Reply 4 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It was kinda expected to happen sooner or later. What I want to know is what is happening with iPod Touch?
  • Reply 5 of 50

RIP iPod Classic.

• Reply 6 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Clearly this "announcement" is what caused AAPL to drop after the initial iPhone 6 and Apple Watch surge. \s

• Reply 7 of 50
    Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

I wonder what will happen with iPod touch now that there are 2 screen sizes for the phone.

The new iPod Touch DS: A 5.5” iPod touch on top, welded to a 4.7” iPod touch on the bottom. Perfect for games.

• Reply 8 of 50

They still sold it?

• Reply 9 of 50

I wish Apple would refresh the iPod Classic. The other iPod models don't offer enough storage space. Most of my music is uncompressed, so I need as much space as I can get. 

• Reply 10 of 50
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

They still sold it?

• Reply 11 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It was kinda expected to happen sooner or later. What I want to know is what is happening with iPod Touch?

iPods are done, there's no point in making any major revisions. The whole lineup will just wind down and categories will be culled as they reach a threshold. I expect the iPod Touch will be the last to go as it's the best selling model. In October, I expect the same Shuffle and Nano and just a spec bump on the Touch.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    "Yeah it had to come in time"
  • Reply 13 of 50
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    iPad mini is next now that we have iPhone 6 PLUS
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

iPad mini is next now that we have iPhone 6 PLUS

I’m torn between which one I want to see get canned…

• Reply 15 of 50
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I love the iPad mini. For me it's a better size than its bigger brother. I personally don't see the need for the iPhone Plus, but I guess it's one of these devices you need to hold first before you know it 'works'.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    RIP iPod Classic.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    RIP Classic. I still have two working 60 GIG iPods. I better mothball them now, they are going to be collectors items in about three centuries I bet.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

I really hope we see an update to the iPod touch. Maybe they will update it when they announce the new iPads next month (Let the iPad rumors begin!)

• Reply 19 of 50

I loved the physical scroll wheel. Maybe it's legacy is shown in the digital crown of the Apple Watch.

• Reply 20 of 50

And, yet… NO 128GB Touch option???

*sigh*