Apple announces official iCloud price tiers ranging from free to $20 per month

Posted:
in iCloud edited September 2014
Following a massive announcement regarding new iPhone and Apple Watch hardware, Apple on Tuesday updated its dedicated iCloud webpage to reflect finalized pricing on storage plans, which now go up to 1TB for a $20 monthly fee.

Apple first announced the new iCloud storage options which come in 5GB, 20GB, 200GB, 500GB and 1TB flavors, at this year's WWDC in June, but did not solidify pricing until today.

As posted to Apple's website, the new tiers come in at free for 5GB and monthly fees of 99 cents for 20GB of storage, $3.99 for 200B, $9.99 for 500GB and $19.99 for 1TB.

Apple's new plans compare to competitors like Dropbox, which recently dropped Pro-level pricing down to $99 a year for 1TB of cloud storage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    So we will see price reductions / adjustments for existing account I assume, I just paid last week the old rate.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    That's why I haven't paid for more iCloud storage. Was waiting for these options. Now, when do they go into affect?
  • Reply 3 of 66
    So other providers start at 20GB/free and the pricing is 20 dollars more a year for the same capacity as Dropbox, but that's their move towards staying competitive? Ok. Granted it's 7 dollars less than I was paying for 20gb which is nice but these new plans aren't exactly earth shattering.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    duplicate
  • Reply 5 of 66
    cash907 wrote: »
    So other providers start at 20GB/free and the pricing is 20 dollars more a year for the same capacity as Dropbox, but that's their move towards staying competitive? Ok. Granted it's 7 dollars less than I was paying for 20gb which is nice but these new plans aren't exactly earth shattering.

And the seamless integration with this new iCloud Drive and iCloud, to all Apple App services and more that DropBox won't have will somehow make DropBox a winner?

Sorry, but Apple is extending services to their Cloud competitor while DropBox and the others are working on tiering their services from Free/Pro/Enterprise based upon storage capacity.

Sorry, but the seamless end-to-end archiving and group interaction with OS X and iOS makes this a clear win/win for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If I am not mistaken with iCloud photos and movies in your camera roll don't count toward your allowable data. With others it does.

• Reply 7 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

No deal. 1TB is too small.

• Reply 8 of 66
    I tried using the OS X System Preferences details to switch plans ("Buy More Storage"), but it still only shows the old plans. $20/10GB/year; $40/20GB/year; $100/50GB/year. The top three tiers of the new data storage plans are precisely proportional to each other: so I consider these three plans to be identical.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I am already running out of space with my three iPads and one iPhone. Will most likely upgrade to the 20GB plan.

• Reply 10 of 66
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm sorry we couldn't meet your needs.  Is there anything else we can help you with?

• Reply 11 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Much better prices and 99¢ a month is definitely doable for most people but I still think 5GiB for free is far too low in 2014, especially with basic backups of an iPhone and iPad in play.
  • Reply 12 of 66

get two, genius.

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 66
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Honest question, what the hell do you do on your device that 1TB of iCloud storage is too "small"? I'm genuinely curious. 

• Reply 14 of 66
    Is it really worth the bother of collecting $0.99. Apple should offer that to anyone who's bought an Apple product recently and be done with the penny pinching.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:

1TB works for me.

• Reply 16 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Honest question, what the hell do you do on your device that 1TB of iCloud storage is too "small"? I'm genuinely curious. 

He wants to back up his 4K videos. :D
  • Reply 17 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And the seamless integration with this new iCloud Drive and iCloud, to all Apple App services and more that DropBox won't have will somehow make DropBox a winner?

Sorry, but Apple is extending services to their Cloud competitor while DropBox and the others are working on tiering their services from Free/Pro/Enterprise based upon storage capacity.

Sorry, but the seamless end-to-end archiving and group interaction with OS X and iOS makes this a clear win/win for Apple.

The Apple integration is where the value is.

Although if one were just going for storage capacity, Office 365 is actually a pretty good deal. The 9.99/mo deal has 1Tb for each of 5 users. Comes with other stuff too, but I know, I know, it's Office. (I use Office and think it is OK, but I don't use 365 at the moment).

• Reply 18 of 66
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Is it really worth the bother of collecting $0.99. Apple should offer that to anyone who's bought an Apple product recently and be done with the penny pinching.

You’re right; all songs in iTunes should be free. It’s too much bother. :rolleyes:

• Reply 19 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So we will see price reductions / adjustments for existing account I assume, I just paid last week the old rate.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/09/09/5gb.plan.still.free/

says when iOS 8 launches

• Reply 20 of 66

Make all the tunes in iTunes free? Now why didn't I think of that!

Sigh, it wouldn't work. Apple owns those iCloud servers and can charge or not charge as it so chooses. All those musicians won't be happy not getting their 70% royalties. Neither would I about my books in the iBookstore. I'd end up living in a dumpster. Not good. Dumpsters smell. I would smell. I'd have no friends. My life would be miserable.

But Apple makes enough money selling gadgets to cover the cost of that next tier of server space. That's why, you might note, I made the freeness dependent on buying an Apple device recently. My seven-year-old MacBook would get me nothing. My latest model Mac mini would get me free service. It'd encourage upgrades and make Apple money. 

You can think of that free server space like those free OS X and iOS upgrades. That's one of my favorite aspects of owning Apple stuff.

--Michael W. Perry, Inkling Books