First look: Hands-on with the all-new Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by total View Post

dont be paranoid, i never had samsung, i always had iphone, but im also not wearing pink glasses and i see how is world changing, that is all. there is already lot of models of watches, some models from last IFA show looked attractive to me. But yeah it is too new and im not objective and maybe people want to monitor heartrate 24/7/365 and want vibrating watches while they drive car. For me it is over limit already, i dont want to be monitored such way. 

This device is hardly a "watch" in that a watch is largely simply a time display device (and maybe a date). If you've no need of anything more, and I expect that's true for many. Then get a $10 (or 10 won) disposable. 

Or and the phrase is not "pink glasses".

• Reply 42 of 162
    Not interested in the watch, it doesn't do anything my phone won't do. Can't see many people dropping $349 for it either.
  • Reply 43 of 162
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

Having it invert isn't the best solution, either. At least not with that design. Moving the crown to the centre of the device would make that neater, but then you still have issues with the button placement. I'd have thought that having the button and the crown centred on opposite sides would be an elegant solution, but I'm not an expert in design or useability.

Why is crown-above-button better than crown-below-button? Seems totally arbitrary to me.

• Reply 44 of 162
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    nagromme wrote: »
    My interest in buying a wearable was 0 out of 10, especially after seeing everything else out there. My only interest in seeing this unveiled was technical curiosity: what would Apple do in a new category I don't care about?
    I just don't wear watches however like you I have a strong interest in the technical side of the watch.
    Now it's 7 out of 10. Give it a SOLID day battery--not 8-12 hours--and it would reach 8. No product will ever have the huge market of smartphone, but this IS a worthy new category after all.
    Battery life will be an issue. It will be very interesting to see how it holds up in real use.
    I'm hoping I can hold out for the second generation before my interest reaches 10 :) But this thing does SO much more than I would have expected, and seems to do it WELL.
    It is generation one! If they ever get blood sugar monitoring done I might be interested.
    Now the competition will scramble to take their half-assed attempts to copy this on rumor alone... and will add some bullet points that sound similar. But will they deliver real functionality and usability? Will developer support come close? History says No.
    It is the ecosystem. Until MS pulls head from ass I don't see a competitive ecosystem happening.
    Looks? This looks the best of any I've seen (and with far more customization) but what I'd probably want: the matte black or matte silver, with a third-party band (expect many). I'd consider the chrome, with the right band, but probably not. And I lean toward the smaller size.

P.S. Never thought about wanting maps on my wrist--until I saw that it will direct you WITHOUT needing the display or speakers, by using different taps for "walk left" and "walk right." And I can only imagine what the new haptic stuff will do for the vision impaired.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OnePotato View Post

I wonder how the lefties are going to be able to reach the crown without obscuring the display (which was the stated reason for not using pinch to zoom).

The UI can apparently invert. Wear it with the knob on either side you wish.e knob on either side you wish.

An interesting product for sure I can't wait for tear downs and reviews.
  • Reply 45 of 162
    Ha ha. Check it out:

1st Video: Film other reporters with their hands *actually* on the watch, (no way to get to one), panic, turn, wade towards display cases completely bypassing the lighted case *full* of Apple Watches, now skim over an iPhone display case then (last resort) pan down to see if there's maybe somehow an iWatch underneath hopefully? (Nope... Dohhhpe!) Give up...

Video 2: (Great! Found one! Wait... Wow. Check out this cool wristband clasp)... now film an AI exclusive "wristband demo" rather than the actual watch the band's attached to ...

"Hands on with Apple's nifty Watchband Clasp"... Ha ha... Classic...
  • Reply 46 of 162
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It blows my mind how many SKU's Apple has for a gen 1 product. Three different models. Light and dark stainless steel and aluminum. Yellow gold and rose gold. Stainless steel, leather and colored rubberized bands. Tons of combinations. All the fanboys on the tech sites are hating on the design but Apple blew everyone else away in terns of combinations/customization out of the gate.

The only thing about the product that I'm not sold on is FOCUS. It seems to me that it does too much, almost like a smartphone on your wrist. Almost like Apple went that route because of the price they wanted to charge. Hard to charge $349 for something that only does one or two things well. Can't wait to get hands on reviews though.
  • Reply 47 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

take a picutre of your iPhone next to $2.78 in change (use a mirror if your only camera is the iPhone)

prove you actually own an iphone

no i have digital camera, here you have it :-) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2438591/ip.jpg

• Reply 48 of 162
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The only thing about the product that I'm not sold on is FOCUS. It seems to me that it does too much, almost like a smartphone on your wrist.

It does a lot because it requires an iPhone to do anything and the iPhone can do a lot.

• Reply 49 of 162
    I was hoping for a better looking design for the watch. Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. Will I buy one? Maybe. :P
  • Reply 50 of 162
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    for all the people complaining about lefties - i suspect many of them are righties - and just being ornery - it seems you can already invert the display - putting the crown towards your wrist if you wear it on your right hand.
    I have a couple of nice TAG watches, an Omega - hey I'm not bragging, but they are very nice watches - and guess what - wear them on the wrong hand and there is no magic invert button - 
    Well, I'm not right handed, I am left handed, and this is an issue for me. Even if I wear it on my left wrist, as a second watch with my actual watch on my right, it will feel uncomfortable because I'm not used to it. And, despite what some people have alleged, I don't see using the crown with my right hand as being as easy as with my left hand - my fine motor control in my right hand isn't as good.

With a normal watch, I don't need the crown facing out, as I use it so rarely, and when I do, it's not a problem to take the watch off to fiddle about with it (although, as I said, my motor skills with my right hand aren't as good). Apple have built a device, however, that depends on using the crown for most functions, and so having it easily accessible is much more important.

As for inverting, people keep saying that it does it. I haven't seen anything suggesting that, other than comments on this board. None of them has as yet posted a link to back it up. If it's out there, please share with the group, rather than just asserting it.
    iaeen wrote: »
    Why is crown-above-button better than crown-below-button? Seems totally arbitrary to me.
    It might be totally arbitrary, but it would be odd for Apple to make a purely arbitrary decision about their UI. More likely they considered a number of options, and decided on the one they feel gives the best experience to the majority of users, even if that means it doesn't work as well for over 10% of potential users.
  • Reply 51 of 162
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

I was hoping for a better looking design for the watch. Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. Will I buy one? Maybe. :P

Some I don't care for: but I'd only buy one anyway, not an entire set.

The easily interchangeable bands is a nice touch.

• Reply 52 of 162
    I love the negative comments. Personally, it's a grand slam, right down to the bands that kick the crap out of the competition. Love it.
  • Reply 53 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by total View Post

i did not say i plan to buy/short AAPL, i made some profit already and im happy with that, im not greedy :) But ok im saving this post and see ya 9/12 and then 9/3/2015, lets meet in first article for those days :)

Sure you made profit.   I bet you make profit every time the stock goes down, right?  LOL. 

• Reply 54 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

As a lefty I am concerned.  The web is abuzz with lefties who are concerned.  Apple made no mention about how lefties can use it or the screen inverting.  No details on the Apple website are available about left handed use, and we can't just wear it on the wrong arm because using a touch screen with our right hands would be a bit like trying to write with them.  Huge Apple miss either in presentation and information, or in forgetting 12% of the population entirely.

Well, that's good if the "web is abuzz with lefties who are concerned".   At least it shows that they're interested in the watch.

• Reply 55 of 162
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

It might be totally arbitrary, but it would be odd for Apple to make a purely arbitrary decision about their UI. More likely they considered a number of options, and decided on the one they feel gives the best experience to the majority of users, even if that means it doesn't work as well for over 10% of potential users.

Paraphrase: "I can't think of anything, but I'm going to assume Apple thought of something I didn't and then decided to screw me."

• Reply 56 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

what next?

Expect car makers to put the steering wheel on the right side for lefties?

It ain't that hard to turn the dial with your off hand.  I mean really.

I can use my iPhone with my left or right hand easily.  IN fact I can use it with my left better than my right because I usually eat with my right hand and use the phone with my left even though I'm right handed.

I can use my phone easily with either hand as well.  It has everything to do with the fact that reaching across the face to turn the crown completely obstructs the watch.  Even if Apple had UI inversion (and there is - as of this second - no confirmation that they do) for the watch, that moves the crown to the bottom of the watch case.  This might seem somewhat insignificant, but I doubt that a company as design-centric as Apple intended their shiny watches to be used "upside down".  As other lefties have pointed out, this isn't a big deal with a traditional watch since you hardly ever need to access the crown, but for the ?watch … you're talking about one of the main interface elements.

• Reply 57 of 162
    Love it, can't wait to own it
  • Reply 58 of 162
    anome wrote: »
    haven't seen anything suggesting that, other than comments on this board. None of them has as yet posted a link to back it up. If it's out there, please share with the group, rather than just asserting it.
    Maybe because the watch isn't available until 2015 and poossibly the software hasn't been finalized yet to include and show inverse usage?

And was that a hint of a threat? Or else what?

Funny: I earlier agreed with John Gruber's post that this would be a very polarizing product. How in the heck could anyone imagine that this watch will have a class action suit on it's hand before it even launches or specs are completed... from the Left Handed Users Association. If any would've suggested that this would be the largest concern even... you would've been declared ready for a padded room. Just gotta LOL sometimes...:rolleyes:
  • Reply 59 of 162

I have always been critical about smart watches, but I must say, I'm quite impressed with Apple's offering. Samsung beat Apple to the punch by releasing 6 watches so far. Apple has just delivered the knockout blow to Samsung. 

• Reply 60 of 162
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    It looks even uglier with the interface on.
    Pass.
    A fashion don't.

I'll wait for the Apple pocket watch- oh wait I already have one. :D