First look: Hands-on with the all-new Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thetorrey View Post

I was hoping for a better looking design for the watch. Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. Will I buy one? Maybe. :P

I think it's the best design out of all the smart watches out there including moto 360.   Some people may prefer the round design, but not me.  It is definitely the best looking rectangular watch without a doubt.

• Reply 62 of 162

How does Samsung manage to put out a new smartwatch or two every month and yet it takes Apple over a year to do two variants of the same AppleWatch.  I'm not complaining.  I simply don't understand why there's such a huge difference in manufacturing time.  Maybe it's not the hardware but all the software and partnerships that's behind it.

• Reply 63 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Sure you made profit.   I bet you make profit every time the stock goes down, right?  LOL. 

you bet wrong i owned AAPL only once, so one buy, one sell. new products definitely did not convince me to invest again in AAPL in short term (months).

• Reply 64 of 162
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It blows my mind how many SKU's Apple has for a gen 1 product. Three different models. Light and dark stainless steel and aluminum. Yellow gold and rose gold. Stainless steel, leather and colored rubberized bands. Tons of combinations. All the fanboys on the tech sites are hating on the design but Apple blew everyone else away in terns of combinations/customization out of the gate.

The only thing about the product that I'm not sold on is FOCUS. It seems to me that it does too much, almost like a smartphone on your wrist. Almost like Apple went that route because of the price they wanted to charge. Hard to charge $349 for something that only does one or two things well. Can't wait to get hands on reviews though.

Very true. The options are fucking mind-blowing, and I'm sure everyone was surprised by 2 sizes on day one. Along with the different colors, materials, and bands, this thing is insanely customizable. Apple made the right move here- for such a device that is worn on the body, a one-size-fits-all approach would not have worked. Nobody wants to wear the same looking watch as millions of others. I don't see how anyone can not respect Apple for spending the time and putting so much care into this product, and to make it right, while thinking outside the box on so many levels. This WILL be a major new product category, they're not pulling any punches here. It's not a "hobby", or simply an accessory, this will be as important to Apple as the first iPhone.  

• Reply 65 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEddie View Post

battery life?

Probably.

• Reply 66 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

As a lefty I am concerned.  The web is abuzz with lefties who are concerned.  Apple made no mention about how lefties can use it or the screen inverting.  No details on the Apple website are available about left handed use, and we can't just wear it on the wrong arm because using a touch screen with our right hands would be a bit like trying to write with them.  Huge Apple miss either in presentation and information, or in forgetting 12% of the population entirely.

Im a lefty, come on now... be serious. Putting the watch on the 'right' arm is just a social custom. I wear mine on my left all the time. Cant push a button with your right hand... geesh.

• Reply 67 of 162
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It looks even uglier with the interface on.

Pass.

A fashion don't.

I'll wait for the Apple pocket watch- oh wait I already have one. image

You know what the pathetic thing is? Everyone could have predicted your response no matter what they unveiled. The level and extent of your analysis is pretty nauseating. Is that truly your opinion? Nothing impresses you about the product at all? Not a single aspect, either in the technology, or the design, or the UI, or the features, or the customizability- every category in which there is some major innovation going on? With your only comment being that, how can anyone not define you as a dirty troll? 

• Reply 68 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

How does Samsung manage to put out a new smartwatch or two every month and yet it takes Apple over a year to do two variants of the same AppleWatch.  I'm not complaining.  I simply don't understand why there's such a huge difference in manufacturing time.  Maybe it's not the hardware but all the software and partnerships that's behind it.

I would rather see Apple take their time and not rush products to consumers like Samsung did with their watches. 

• Reply 69 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It looks even uglier with the interface on.

Pass.

A fashion don't.

I'll wait for the Apple pocket watch- oh wait I already have one. image

It's ok if you have no taste, but you don't have to let everyone know.

• Reply 70 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Very true. The options are fucking mind-blowing, and I'm sure everyone was surprised by 2 sizes on day one. Along with the different colors, materials, and bands, this thing is insanely customizable. Apple made the right move here- for such a device that is worn on the body, a one-size-fits-all approach would not have worked. Nobody wants to wear the same looking watch as millions of others. I don't see how anyone can not respect Apple for spending the time and putting so much care into this product, and to make it right, while thinking outside the box on so many levels. This WILL be a major new product category, they're not pulling any punches here. It's not a "hobby", or simply an accessory, this will be as important to Apple as the first iPhone.  

While the tech that went into this watch is outstanding... does it have a use for the average Joe iphone user.

Hmmm IMO... at this time... no, not now, not at this price.  

But I'm willing to be won over!  Would love  to have a basic sport watch with blue tooth info from bike and heart sensors etc for ~$100 bucks.

This thing is trying to be all things to all people... a very tall order indeed.

• Reply 71 of 162
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I don't know if this has been addressed but I'd like to know if Apple Pay on Apple Watch will work with an iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 72 of 162
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Suddenly everyone moved from techies to fashion experts. If you don't like the look that's your opinion. But mark my words.. ?Watch will do to smartwatches what the original iPhone did to smartphones.

I bet no one noticed that it is the only Apple product without always visible Apple logo.

• Reply 73 of 162
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    This thing is trying to be all things to all people... a very tall order indeed.

A bit like the original iPhone ? -:)

I'm impressed with what they've offered but I don't think I'll be buying one.
    (I'm not all that interested in accessories, but thats just me).
  • Reply 74 of 162
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    iaeen wrote: »
    Paraphrase: "I can't think of anything, but I'm going to assume Apple thought of something I didn't and then decided to screw me."
    Not what I actually said. I simply said that Apple put a lot of effort into developing this kind of thing. I'm not going to try and second guess why they made the design decisions they did, because they're people are better at that kind of thing than I am.

They haven't screwed me in any sense. I currently don't have an AppleWatch, and no-one is forcing me to buy one against my will. So, I'm not screwed.

Maybe because the watch isn't available until 2015 and poossibly the software hasn't been finalized yet to include and show inverse usage?
    And despite this, people have been asserting that it will include this feature that Apple itself has not mentioned.
    And was that a hint of a threat? Or else what?
    Yes, you're quite right. I'm threatening Apple that if they don't fix the problem for left handers I won't buy their watch. Clearly this will work, because they couldn't possibly survive without my personal purchase of this product.
    Funny: I earlier agreed with John Gruber's post that this would be a very polarizing product. How in the heck could anyone imagine that this watch will have a class action suit on it's hand before it even launches or specs are completed... from the Left Handed Users Association. If any would've suggested that this would be the largest concern even... you would've been declared ready for a padded room. Just gotta LOL sometimes...:rolleyes:
    I don't see any grounds for a class action lawsuit, nor do I see anyone threatening any kind of legal action against Apple. What I do see is a few people (myself included) who are disappointed that the Watch, as currently presented, doesn't seem to support left-handed use. Other people are saying it's too big or ugly, or isn't worth the extra money for the functionality it provides? Do you think they'll launch a class action lawsuit against Apple for not making what they want?

Other than that quibble, I think the AppleWatch is interesting. It looks like, for the most part, they've done some good work on the compromises that necessarily go into making a UI for such a small device. (I'm less impressed with all the fashion stuff, though, although I see why they did it.) If it does handle left handed use, by inverting, or whatever other means they might come up with, I might be tempted to buy one. Or I might not. But if it doesn't handle left handed use, then I definitely won't.
  • Reply 75 of 162
    Appallingly ugly. And I'm a huge Apple fan in general.
  • Reply 76 of 162
    Good call, newbie! The A-Watch is BUTT UGLY!

We're talking 1982 Seiko ugly! And how about that bubble interface? BARF CITY! Apple is still lost in Jonny Ives Candyland and the A-Watch is a design FAIL!
  • Reply 77 of 162
    I didn't know what to expect—most of the commentary beforehand seemed to be leaning towards some medical device for invalids and senior citizens, which I thought would destroy Apple's cachet with their core demographic. I still think that.

But now I'm blown away by the thought that's gone into this device. Just the tiny fraction of the functions that were demonstrated make it a totally new category compared with the lame-ass "smart" watches that have come out so far. And we've probably seen <1% of it, even before developers start writing apps.

Plus, I think it's absolutely gorgeous. Especially the plain stainless watch with the stainless expandable band. (Probably the cheapest, too.) The method of changing bands is a revelation. When people would talk about interchangeable bands, I'd wince, because changing watchbands with springbars is one of the most miserable tasks known to man. Now I can see having several bands and swapping them out for different occasions.

I just don't understand why Apple always has to rush through these things with such a light once-over. Where does this self-imposed 2-hour time limit come from? Take the time you need to say what you need to say!
  • Reply 78 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

What gets me about the watch is the exquisite attention to mechanical detail - something that is apparently under appreciated by many of the critics.  The forms, the machining, the precision and the innovation all spot on.  I particularly liked the easily resized stainless band.  The guy pulled out the segments by just pushing a tab with his fingernail.  Genius.

I never had any concern about software, since this is Apple we knew they would get that right.  

Yeah, I think they nailed the mechanical design. It's just plain nice. Even the cheap band that's magnetic is well executed. The metal bracelet looks to be jewelry quality, and its stoutness reminds me of my Tag. I think the prices are going to be pretty steep for the nicer bands/bracelets though, as my Tag bracelet is $550 to replace, and I've not seen any competing makers that make anything of similar quality for less.

It would be nice if the bands can move to future Apple Watch versions, so you could save the cost of a 10-year bracelet with a 2-year upgrade pattern.

I still think that it looks a little too big on the wrist, just like the other smart watches out there. So at least there's parity there. 

• Reply 79 of 162
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It has nothing to do with manufacturing time. It is about the culture and philosophy that goes into the process of design.

Remember what Jony Ives said, for every 1,000 no's there is one yes.

What Samsung produces would be something that Apple would not.

Tim Cook said that the Apple Watch can do way more than has been presented; and what has been presented so far just blows away Android Wear, Pebble, and Tizen.

I mean, seriously, the Samsung is a miniaturized smart phone for your wrist.

It's a cool gadget, but I would build a form fitting Casio G-Shock style case for the Samsung wrist phone to give it a rugged look and not look like a bracelet.

But all of this just shows the differences between Samsung and Apple, and what Samsung would truly do when they didn't have a way of copying Apple.

What the Apple Watch actually is, is a 3-dimensional version of the squared app icon with rounded corners.

• Reply 80 of 162

S. Korean newspapers are reporting that Samsung is getting ready for yet another bloody war with Apple.

Samsung R&D team are actively investing billions of dollars purchasing screw drivers in different shape and size to dig deep inside Apple Watch ... 

On the same page, Judge Koh has assured Samsung talented legal team .... No Worries, I'll watch your back!