Apple Watch will come in two sizes & three collections, with six different strap styles

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102

Quote:If its waterproof ill buy it if not forget it 

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new fashion-focused Apple Watch will come in a wide variety of styles and two different sizes, aiming to offer the right device for each wearer's particular style and needs.

The Apple Watch is something of a departure for Apple, which historically has not offered a wide range of styles in its products. But the company's new wearable device will come in three distinct collections: A basic made of stainless steel, a sport version with an aluminum casing, and a high-end edition made of hardened 18-karat gold.

All three editions of the Apple Watch are also offered in two sizes, depending on which better fits a user's wrist.

The Apple Watch can be customized even further with six different styles of watch straps. Apple's unique design has a quick-release mechanism that allows the straps to be quickly interchangeable.

Apple's watch bands are made of elastomer-based sport band, leather loop with embedded magnets, leather band, classic leather buckle type, stainless steel and stainless steel mesh with magnetic closure. Some of the bands include hidden magnetic clasps to allow the accessory to be quickly worn or removed.

Customizable watch faces are also a key factor for Apple's device, with the head of the product's software development, Kevin Lynch, showcasing how users can mix and match different functions and displays. Apple showcased a number of watch faces it's created, including one that shows phases of the moon, another that shows the positions of the planets, or where a user is currently located.

• Reply 42 of 102
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Missing the Christmas sales is going to kill this dead.

This was never an option, unless you wanted to only announce next year when it's ready to ship and the leaks are out. Look at the previous product category announcements. Several months lead time is standard.
  • Reply 43 of 102
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Missing the Christmas sales is going to kill this dead.

This was never an option, unless you wanted to only announce next year when it's ready to ship and the leaks are out. Look at the previous product category announcements. Several months lead time is standard.

If protecting against leaks was the reason, it's understandable but these kind of products are good as gifts. Now people have seen Apple's offering, seen that it's not great and competing watches are cheaper so by the time this gets round to launching, people looking for a smartwatch will already have one.
  • Reply 44 of 102
    ...seen that it's not great and competing watches are cheaper so by the time this gets round to launching, people looking for a smartwatch will already have one.

If you use an iPhone there is no other "smartwatch" that will work better. I don't think Apple has anything to fear. In fact, I bet this helps keep people from buying another brand of "smartwatch" this Holiday season as they hold out for the iWatch*.

* I'm just going to call it that because it's easier.
  • Reply 45 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

BTW, the stock peaked at apple pay and has been dropping since the iWatch was revealed. I think a lot of people are nervous how this will fly. 

Actually, it outperformed the market at -0.38% vs Nasdaq at -0.87%.

• Reply 46 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Cartier watches all have square/rectangular face...There're always some trolls even with the first iPhone. You can't make everyone happy. There're 6-7 billions people in the world, Apple just need to make 1% of them happy to sell their products.

I fully expected the watch to get hate. The tech media has already decided that Moto Almost 360 and round is the pinnacle of smart watch design. Looking at the watch on Tim's wrist it doesn't look that chunky. I'll need to see more photos of it on people's wrists to get a better feel.

I disagree. I think it looked huge and garish on Cook's wrist.

• Reply 47 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I am not feeling the physical design of the iWatch, save for the knob/home button*, the home screen layout, or most of the usage examples they showed us with maps, emails, tweets, etc.

2) Does this run iOS, Pico OS, or something else? It seems very iOS-ish but that seems like a power hog, What about the display? LCD or OLED? Lots of blacks so hopefully OLED. And the battery life?

* Is there a version for left-hand dominate people?

All observations I share, sadly.

I don't like the black screen. I guess it helps save on battery life. Really, my £40 Seiko is so much nicer with its simple, elegant white face.

They say the screen automatically comes on when you move it up. Two problems with that: what if you just want to glance at your wrist for the time? Blank screen. And if you're sitting with friends, most of the time you'll have this big, black blob on your wrist staring at everyone. It just doesn't look good. 

On the Apple Watch pages, they don't say how thick it is, but you can see that it is very thick; much thicker than a normal watch. The straps are okay; I might live with the black leather one.

It's all a bit fiddly and non-killer.

• Reply 48 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If protecting against leaks was the reason, it's understandable but these kind of products are good as gifts. Now people have seen Apple's offering, seen that it's not great and competing watches are cheaper so by the time this gets round to launching, people looking for a smartwatch will already have one.

How many of the current crop of smartwatches work with the iPhone? The Pebble, and a few others. None of the most other recently released watches are any good to someone with an iPhone.
  • Reply 49 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAustin View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxtosh View Post

BTW, the stock peaked at apple pay and has been dropping since the iWatch was revealed. I think a lot of people are nervous how this will fly. 

Actually, it outperformed the market at -0.38% vs Nasdaq at -0.87%.

Yes, but at one point in the keynote, it was up about 3.6%. That was roughly after they announced Apple Pay, I think.

• Reply 50 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I disagree. I think it looks huge and garish on Cook's wrist.

I think I wouldn't buy it for style.  Maybe there is some other reason to have one, or maybe there is some use case where you don't wear it in dressy situations.  hmmmm, can I think of anything I would like it for?

Having walked among my first computer around 1970, I'm sort of impressed.

Maybe Apple will slim it down in future versions.  Let's see, have they ever done something like that?

I can't believe the level of grousing about Apple, and the total pass that Amazon gets about everything.  I don't do Facebook either, so I guess the problem is me.

• Reply 51 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAustin View Post

Quote:

I disagree. I think it looks huge and garish on Cook's wrist.

I think I wouldn't buy it for style.  Maybe there is some other reason to have one, or maybe there is some use case where you don't wear it in dressy situations.  hmmmm, can I think of anything I would like it for?

Having walked among my first computer around 1970, I'm sort of impressed.

Maybe Apple will slim it down in future versions.  Let's see, have they ever done something like that?

I can't believe the level of grousing about Apple, and the total pass that Amazon gets about everything.  I don't do Facebook either, so I guess the problem is me.

People hold Apple to a far higher standard than Amazon, hence the grousing.

I think the whole concept of a smart watch is flawed. In the end, you've got a tiny screen, and you'll always have a tiny screen with current technology. When you can have a holographic screen that expands to five inches or something; then you're talking. Until that time, it's always going to be a compromise, which I fear will doom it to niche.

I don't take any pride in sounding like one of the trolls, as I would call myself an ardent Apple advocate, as a rule. 

• Reply 52 of 102

I don't like the black screen. I guess it helps save on battery life. Really, my £40 Seiko is so much nicer with its simple, elegant white face.

They say the screen automatically comes on when you move it up. Two problems with that: what if you just want to glance at your wrist for the time? Blank screen. And if you're sitting with friends, most of the time you'll have this big, black blob on your wrist staring at everyone. It just doesn't look good. 

On the Apple Watch pages, they don't say how thick it is, but you can see that it is very thick; much thicker than a normal watch. The straps are okay; I might live with the black leather one.

1) It is thick and I can't find any mention of battery life which isn't a good sign.

2) I hope they allow you to reverse the display so one can wear it on their right wrist. The knob and button would be reversed top to bottom but it would be on the correct side. And with those removable bands you should be able to make that fit on properly. Yet, as I write this I have to think Apple hasn't done that since there is no mention of it. I'm glad I'm a righty who wears watches on their left hand (in case I do decide I want one).

3) Any mention of the water resistance level?
  • Reply 53 of 102
    Quote:

Quote:

1) It is thick and I can't find any mention of battery life which isn't a good sign.

2) I hope they allow you to reverse the display so one can wear it on their right wrist. The knob and button would be reversed top to bottom but it would be on the correct side. And with those removable bands you should be able to make that fit on properly. Yet, as I write this I have to think Apple hasn't done that since there is no mention of it. I'm glad I'm a righty who wears watches on their left hand (in case I do decide I want one).

3) Any mention of the water resistance level?

1 I suspect that they will be trying to improve battery life as much as possible from now, which suggests it's not great, as you surmise. At the very least, it would need to definitely get through a 20 hour day and preferably a few hours more, I would say.

2 I'm left handed and don't like the prospect of reaching over constantly for the knob.

3 Haven't seen mention of water resistance, but I have yet to scour all the Apple pages yet. It would surely have to be at least resistant. I don't think waterproof is necessary.

• Reply 54 of 102

I think the whole concept of a smart watch is flawed. In the end, you've got a tiny screen, and you'll always have a tiny screen with current technology. When you can have a holographic screen that expands to five inches or something; then you're talking. Until that time, it's always going to be a compromise, which I fear will doom it to niche.

I don't take any pride in sounding like one of the trolls, as I would call myself an ardent Apple advocate, as a rule. 

What's wrong with a niche product? It was the Apple MO for a long time.
  • Reply 55 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

What's wrong with a niche product? It was the Apple MO for a long time.

Sure! Just that we have perhaps come to expect an iPhone or iPad type blockbuster with a new product from Apple these days.

• Reply 56 of 102
    Sure! Just that we have perhaps come to expect an iPhone or iPad type blockbuster with a new product from Apple these days.

Expectations can lead to disappointment. That's why I avoid them as much as possible. I like the Apple Watch very much, but people it seems were expecting something magical. The hardest smacker in the world is reality.
  • Reply 57 of 102
    So we have…

2 sizes (38mm and 42mm)
    3 watch styles (Watch = steel and sapphire; Watch Sport = aluminium and "Gorilla Glass"; and Watch Edition = gold platting and sapphire)

9 band styles for Watch in 2 sizes
    18 total Watch styles

5 band styles for Sport Watch in 2 sizes
    10 total Watch Sport styles

3 band styles for Watch in 2 sizes
    6 total Watch Edition styles

34 total skus for the Apple Watches.

I'm left handed and don't like the prospect of reaching over constantly for the knob.

I think that's a weird thing not to address.
    Haven't seen mention of water resistance, but I have yet to scour all the Apple pages yet. It would surely have to be at least resistant. I don't think waterproof is necessary.

When talking about he S1 system he stated it was sealed in a resin to be water resistant. Hopefully they'll get a rating of at least IP67 before it goes on sale.
  • Reply 58 of 102
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    How many of the current crop of smartwatches work with the iPhone? The Pebble, and a few others. None of the most other recently released watches are any good to someone with an iPhone.

That's true and that's going to affect sales of this watch too. Say that 10% of compatible iPhone owners buy one, that's ~30m sales for the entire year = 6% extra revenue. Not worth bothering about. I also doubt that 10% will get one.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2335363/moto-360-smartwatch-will-pair-with-all-devices-running-android-43-and-above

"Wicks went on to talk about the Moto 360's circular design, and said that the design team decided to give people what they want, with 80 percent of watches sold featuring circlar faces.
    "We made a decision to not swim against the cultural current, and instead thought 'lets go with it'. 80 percent of the watches sold are circular, and we felt it was important not to try and defy gravity," Wicks said."

Here's a poll from an Android forum that surprisingly puts the Apple Watch ahead of the LG:

http://phandroid.com/2014/09/09/apple-watch-vs-moto-360-android-wear/

but the 360 is still way out in front. When I first saw the 360 marketing video, I thought it was the kind of slam dunk design that immediately made the likes of the Galaxy Gear look terrible and it's exactly the kind of design I'd have expected Apple to deliver except without the cutout and with good battery life and a little smaller diameter.
  • Reply 59 of 102
    Quote:

So we have…

2 sizes (38mm and 42mm)

3 watch styles (Watch = steel and sapphire; Watch Sport = aluminium and "Gorilla Glass"; and Watch Edition = gold platting and sapphire)

9 band styles for Watch in 2 sizes

18 total Watch styles

5 band styles for Sport Watch in 2 sizes

10 total Watch Sport styles

3 band styles for Watch in 2 sizes

6 total Watch Edition styles

34 total skus for the Apple Watches.

Quote:

I'm left handed and don't like the prospect of reaching over constantly for the knob.

I think that's a weird thing not to address.
    Quote:

Haven't seen mention of water resistance, but I have yet to scour all the Apple pages yet. It would surely have to be at least resistant. I don't think waterproof is necessary.

When talking about he S1 system he stated it was sealed in a resin to be water resistant. Hopefully they'll get a rating of at least IP67 before it goes on sale.

All these SKUs...seems so un-Apple. 

I get that people want variety for such a personal thing. And yet, I feel they could still have made it simpler. Most of the differentiation seems to be very minor, like straps or a gold face. The big things - size, weight and black face essentially come in two sizes, but are otherwise unchangeable. Most of the customisation will come with the software, which is the same on all the Watches. Why do they need a 'Sports' version just with different straps? They could have just got rid of that version and put all the different straps together. Just as much choice, but a simpler presentation. It feels very car-like, and we all know that there are far too many car models.

• Reply 60 of 102
    Quote:

All these SKUs...seems so un-Apple. 

I get that people want variety for such a personal thing. And yet, I feel they could still have made it simpler. Most of the differentiation seems to be very minor, like straps or a gold face. The big things - size, weight and black face essentially come in two sizes, but are otherwise unchangeable. Most of the customisation will come with the software, which is the same on all the Watches. Why do they need a 'Sports' version just with different straps? They could have just got rid of that version and put all the different straps together. Just as much choice, but a simpler presentation. It feels very car-like, and we all know that there are far too many car models.

Watches are different from phones, but as we know people love to customize. Look at the hundreds and hundreds of variations of cases available for Apple products.

Apple is taking the exactly right approach here. The starter watch, the sport version and the luxury version. They will take away the customization from the 3rd parties with the options they have. That's just smart.