Apple's redesigned desktop and mobile websites are heavy on images, animations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
Coming on the heels of Apple's big iPhone 6 and Apple Watch reveal, the company on Tuesday launched redesigned versions of its official desktop and mobile websites, with a streamlined interface and enhanced animations.

Debuted directly after the conclusion of today's special event livestream, the new Apple.com features an extremely clean interface that puts graphics front and center.

Like the iPad version of the Apple Store app, an unsegmented gray menu bar appears at the top of every page and leads to subpages dedicated to specific products like the iPhone, iPad and new Apple Watch. Each landing page is graced with a large product photo that runs the width of the screen.

A product carousel appears below the gray navigation bar where applicable. For example, the iPhone page pulls out a list of links to subpages for iPhone 6, accessories, comparisons, iOS 8 and iCloud.

Seemingly designed for touch devices, the desktop version relies on scrolling to navigate content, whereas previous Apple.com iterations used links or text boxes. Scrolling down activates animations pointing out key product features or specifications.

The Online Apple Store is included in the revamp, though not all products pages have been updated at this time. Currently, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are the only devices that get Apple's new design treatment, with animated "floating" iPhones hovering next to purchasing options like storage capacity and cellular carrier.

The mobile version is similar in design, but with a truncated gray navigation bar featuring a drop-down hamburger menu button instead of distinct product page links.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Is anyone else having trouble with Apple.com? The website crashes Safari on my iPhone 5S
  • Reply 2 of 23
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    It was crashing for me as well, but now is fine
  • Reply 3 of 23
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Loving the new, simplified look.

2) Am I the only one that finds that funny coming from this site, which that has recently been uploading huge PNG files?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Am I the only one that finds that funny coming from this site, which that has recently been uploading huge PNG files?

Beat me to it.

• Reply 5 of 23
    Is that what's wrong with the site? I went over there to see if they had pictures of the new iPhones and the top third of the screen is something invisible that the text disappears behind as you scroll down. Have to use your scroll wheel exclusively, using Page Down you lose the first half of your next bite of text. Really annoying.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    All the better to eat up your mobile data cap!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    I like words.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    6p Eastern still crashing safari. Closed all apps rebooted. Aruggg
  • Reply 9 of 23
    brianline wrote: »
    6p Eastern still crashing safari. Closed all apps rebooted. Aruggg
    Attention to detail, my ass.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    This also CRASH my iPhone 5s!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    brianline wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble with Apple.com? The website crashes Safari on my iPhone 5S
    Seems my 5, crashes on it, safari mobile just can't handle it.
  • Reply 12 of 23

Here's my initial take on Apple's foray into a smartphone-friendly Apple.com (no crashing on our iPhones at the office):

http://blog.sayyeah.com/post/97093825205/apple-slowly-mobilizing-their-website

• Reply 13 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Attention to detail, my ass.

Technology tends to just shit on some people. Sucks to be you I guess.

• Reply 14 of 23
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Loving the new, simplified look.

AppleInsider would like to know what is to be huge PNG file?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AppleInsider would like to know what is to be huge PNG file?

I have a 10 megabyte 30000x16000 I could post.

• Reply 16 of 23
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Technology tends to just shit on some people. Sucks to be you I guess.
    It's Apple's flagship phone running Apple's own OS and browser and Apple's own website.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

On the desktop website seeing all that Beats crap toted as an iPhone accessory really makes me cringe.:mad:

• Reply 18 of 23
    Would it have killed them to at least test it a little in IE11?

I know it's "Apple" dot com, but maybe some of us would like to actually browse the new Apple products from a PC.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That’s against the Geneva Convention, I think.

I know it's "Apple" dot com, but maybe some of us would like to actually browse the new Apple products from a PC. 

So use Safari. Yes, Safari 5. It’s better than anything else.

• Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Buy a Mac. Problem solved.