First look: Hands-on with the new iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus, featuring Apple Pay and Reachability

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The slide over the button wouldn't mirror the screen movement exactly, it would be a ratio of the movement and doesn't need to be precise but I don't like the idea of moving the finger to the home button every time anyway. I'd rather it was a gesture up where you wanted to reach. They use slide in from the left to go back. If they aren't using slide in from the right (maybe in a downward arc), perhaps that can be used to pull the top down and the amount would be how much you drag down. The best solution of course is to not build stupidly sized phones in the first place. At least the 4.7" is close to workable without using this hack.

I think that the old model of having the address bar and controls, app controls, etc. at the top of the screen is out dated on a phone.

Just shift everything that is now on the top to the bottom and it should be reachable with one hand.  Unless you already said that.

• Reply 42 of 94
    I'm curious. I won't be getting one as I still hVe 12 months on my contract. I've checked the website for the specs and as fat as I can see, the only difference between the two phones is the 6plus has optical image stabilisation and the 6 doesn't. What is opticL image stabilisation, would I miss it and why doesn't the 6 have it ?
  • Reply 43 of 94

Most of the posts discuss the looks & dimensions of  the iPhone 6/6+.  I'm a bit more interested in seeing how Apple-Pay works in real life, say next month when I'll hopefully be using my new phone.  Here's a couple questions that maybe some can answer:

1. Kinda disappointed that Discover wasn't included as qualified Apple-Pay credit card, that's the one I primarily use.  In fact my Discover Card Rewards will be used to purchase the iPhone 6+.  Hopefully they'll be on-board soon.

2. Can I use Apple-Pay to check-out from my local Wal-Mart or Publix Grocery Store next month?  Most retail establishments that I frequent require a slide-thru credit card to check-out.  Can their hand-held scanners be used to check-out?  How does it work when checking-out at gas stations?

• Reply 44 of 94
    Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

What is opticL image stabilisation, would I miss it and why doesn't the 6 have it ?

Seems to physically move the lens and sensor in accordance with the jostling of the phone. It lowers blur on images, basically.

Since that’s the ONLY thing the real phone doesn’t have that the other one does, I’m guessing it was simply a matter of size constraints.

• Reply 45 of 94
    tonypie wrote: »
    Most of the posts discuss the looks & dimensions of  the iPhone 6/6+.  I'm a bit more interested in seeing how Apple-Pay works in real life, say next month when I'll hopefully be using my new phone.  Here's a couple questions that maybe some can answer:

1. Kinda disappointed that Discover wasn't included as qualified Apple-Pay credit card, that's the one I primarily use.  In fact my Discover Card Rewards will be used to purchase the iPhone 6+.  Hopefully they'll be on-board soon.

2. Can I use Apple-Pay to check-out from my local Wal-Mart or Publix Grocery Store next month?  Most retail establishments that I frequent require a slide-thru credit card to check-out.  Can their hand-held scanners be used to check-out?  How does it work when checking-out at gas stations?

It's all done with NFC. If the store has a NFC POS and it's activated, you'll be able to use it. If not, you won't.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ridikulas View Post

So bummed about the protruding camera. Basically forces you to get a case. Which eliminates the value of a thin phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

I would have liked to see them keeping the back flat even if it was a bit thicker - this would have allowed a bigger battery. Truth us though most people will put it in a case which will eliminate the protruding lens.

What kind of bugs me is that in the Apple store, the pictures showing the lens make it look pretty large,

but then their side-on flat pictures show nothing…kind of deceptive illustrations, there -

reminiscent of when they sort of carefully "arranged" how they portrayed the current iMacs skinniness,

to avoid showing the rather massive "bubble".

• Reply 47 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    It's all done with NFC. If the store has a NFC POS and it's activated, you'll be able to use it. If not, you won't.

And many slide-thru CC scanners also have NFC sensors. You can usually tell from the wireless symbol on them.
  • Reply 48 of 94
    tonypie wrote: »

1. I have little doubt that Apple was the problem here. Moreover, as Cook mentioned, the big three account for over 80% of credit card transactions in the US. It's the old 80-20 rule to get something done efficiently, I suppose.

2. If Walmart and Publix were in the list of the 20 or so retailers whose names Cook put up in his presentation, the answer would be yes. Otherwise, I guess it depends on what these two companies do in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 49 of 94
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraniumbra View Post

What is opticL image stabilisation, would I miss it and why doesn't the 6 have it ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization#Optical_image_stabilization

Nokia have had it for years.

You'll also hear the hype about 'Focus Pixels' (Apple's name for Phase Detection Autofocus).

Useful in a DSLR for tracking fast moving subjects, of dubious worth in a cellphone.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-s5_Mobile-Phone_review_samsung-galaxy-s5-camera-hardware_Page-6

• Reply 50 of 94
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And many slide-thru CC scanners also have NFC sensors. You can usually tell from the wireless symbol on them.

Correct. I said it simply to make it easy. Now we wait for retailers to emplement them.
  • Reply 51 of 94
    What I can't understand about the iPhone 6 (as opposed to the 6+) is this bizarre, oddball screen resolution. 1334 x 750? WTF? 1280 x 720 would have been much better. Nobody would be able to tell the difference with the UI and apps and web-browsing, but a lot of people watch videos on their phones.

What you want are small denominators. A 720-line screen would show a 480p video blown up 3/2, 720p 1/1 of course, and 1080p at 2/3. Ideal.

750/480 = 25/16. 750/720 = 25/24. 750/1080 = 25/36. This is truly horrendous—worse even than those 768-line TVs they used to sell. And because of the incomprehensible horizontal resolution, absolutely none of the pixels of the original video will be displayed as is. Every single one will be calculated.

I don't see how videos can look anything but awful on this screen. I just don't know what they have in mind with this.

Yeah, I read Gruber's analysis—thoroughly unconvincing.
  • Reply 52 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

How so? Both use NFC. I have all my loyalty cards in it, my roommate pays me through it, I've been buying things with it, can put all my gift cards in it, I also get tracking info from things I buy online.

I'm extremely excited about Apple Pay but it works just like Google Wallet. Token and all.

Well, I don't believe Apple Play will track your every purchase like Google Pay does at this time.  Goggle then sells this info and you get those wonderful emails from vendors you didn't know you had.

• Reply 53 of 94
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Oh man, reachability is an awesome implementation!
  • Reply 54 of 94
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I dont remember if Apple sell the phone unlock at launch or do we have to wait?

• Reply 55 of 94
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

1280 x 720 would have been much better. 

Not retina at that size.

Every single one will be calculated.

So only watch 1080p content. Problem solved. :p 

I for one am going to be exceptionally pleased to have an iOS device that can handle my movie library. As I’ve slowly slipped upward to fully 1080p, the number of things I can put on my iPad has become ever fewer.

Though there IS a workaround...

• Reply 56 of 94
    Thinness means nothing after a certian point other then an obvious trade of for functionality. In the space that you shaved off to make something thinner could be used for battery. In the case of this phone getting rid if the camera protrusion. Hell if the iPhone 6 has a decent battery life I may leave my HTC m8 for it.
  • Reply 57 of 94

Holy cow, the tech geeks are out in force on the internet today, dumping as many steaming shits of pig ignorance on every Apple article as they can. Attack Apple. Attack Apple devices. Attack Apple users. Rage pathologically against any use case not matching theirs, or any other human daring to have interests that fall outside computing.

The level of invective on some sites is well into the mental illness category. FFS, it's a phone and a watch. For this they need to hurl insults that would make bigots blush?

What happened to the geek/nerd crowd? It's just wall to wall braying manbabies who think changing a font or an icon on their phone makes them l33t hackers. Or they go on and on about their giant phone as if they personally designed and forged the thing from raw metal ores.

It's really just sick and sad.

Meanwhile I'd like to just find discussion on what sorts of apps could be written for the watch. But, no, everything has to be a fucking warzone.

• Reply 58 of 94
    1280 x 720 would have been much better. 

Not retina at that size.
    Every single one will be calculated.

So only watch 1080p content. Problem solved. :p  

I for one am going to be exceptionally pleased to have an iOS device that can handle my movie library. As I’ve slowly slipped upward to fully 1080p, the number of things I can put on my iPad has become ever fewer.

Though there IS a workaround...

As I said, 750/1080 is 25/36. Worse yet, 1334/1920 is .694791666... IOW, not a single pixel that you bought and paid for will be displayed as is. Now I'd love to be proven wrong, and discover that Apple has some miraculous, and mathematics-violating, GPU or algorithm that will make this OK, but I've seen too many pretty expensive TVs that did a lousy job even of scaling 480 to 1080, and that's only 9/4. And I still remember the 12 or 24 prominent stripes across the screen of some $1200 768-line TVs I saw back when those were a thing, trying to display 1080 content. I guess you could just watch in a 1280 x 720 window, but then you've only got a 4.5" phone!
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Holy cow, the tech geeks are out in force on the internet today, dumping as many steaming shits of pig ignorance on every Apple article as they can. Attack Apple. Attack Apple devices. Attack Apple users. Rage pathologically against any use case not matching theirs, or any other human daring to have interests that fall outside computing.

The level of invective on some sites is well into the mental illness category. FFS, it's a phone and a watch. For this they need to hurl insults that would make bigots blush?

What happened to the geek/nerd crowd? It's just wall to wall braying manbabies who think changing a font or an icon on their phone makes them l33t hackers. Or they go on and on about their giant phone as if they personally designed and forged the thing from raw metal ores.

Meanwhile I'd like to just find discussion on what sorts of apps could be written for the watch. But, no, everything has to be a fucking warzone.

Seriously—it's frightening to think these animals are out in public, wandering around without a keeper. I honestly think most of them are mentally disturbed.

The thing is, 20 years or so ago, all the misfits and proud-to-be-outsiders like this were rabid Apple fans! (Maybe some of the same people? Though it's hard to believe that adults could act this way.) It's like Apple has committed the most horrendous sin in the calendar by becoming successful and no longer being the scrappy underdog. I don't know; I hate Microsoft as much as anybody—probably because I live in the Seattle area—but I don't literally foam at the mouth about it.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiet_Desperation View Post

If my memory is correct-

iPod introduced.... panned by 'everyone' and yet was a huge success.

iPhone introduced.... panned by 'everyone' and yet was a huge success.

iPad introduced.... panned by 'everyone' and yet was a huge success.

Sooner or later you stop listening to 'everyone' and watch what everyone really does. Let the critics complain, if the stock goes down low enough I'll grab some more shares for a quick turn around.

Goobers.

Rich