Apple Watch features include fitness tracking, Apple Pay, Siri & inductive charging

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    solipsismx wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why announce it now?

Two reasons: Control of the announcement and needing to get partners onboard.

Add #3: Freeze out the competition. Who'd be interested in the other crap now?
  • Reply 42 of 58
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    After seeing the Samsung Gear S last week and hearing everything great about Apple's version (Ive's Swiss comment, ABC's historic moment, etc) this watch is telling me that Apple dropped the ball big time with this one.

- Music via bluetooth headphones?
    - no SIM card for cell connectivity?
    - battery life?
    - make/receive calls?

I mean this bulky thing is even WORSE than the mockups!!! If I sound disappointed it's because I am. I wanted the perfect watch, not this. I would have laughed if someone had told me that this was even just an early prototype from Apple. What does Ive even do anymore?

Then go buy a bloody Samsung and spare us the angst.
  • Reply 43 of 58

How long before Samsung introduces a watch with there own Digital Crown™?

I'm sure they already had that idea WAY before Apple. I'll bet the next one they announce will.

• Reply 44 of 58
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Then why announce it now?

Control the message because the supply chain leaks like a sieve?

Or for the cynical, Microsoft the competitors and cause people to wait for the iWatch to arrive....
  • Reply 45 of 58
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    You mean I gotta take my ginormous iPhone 6 with me in order for the watch to track my run?

Really ?

$350 is a lot of money. But maybe the price will come down later

For 350$ the watch better do stuff independently of my phone.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    - Music via bluetooth headphones?

Through your phone?
    - no SIM card for cell connectivity?

Through your phone?
    - make/receive calls?

You can control your phone that makes/receives the calls through your phone.

And it's tied to the phone because of:
    - battery life?

Ever hear of the triangle of fast/good/cheap - pick any two? You can't do all the crap you list and then get any kind of reasonable battery life.

And if you think another vendor can deliver, go for it - knock yourself out. Then let us know how that works out for you.
    I wanted the perfect watch, not this.

What you wan't simply can't exist right now - mainly because of battery technology. This is a perfect first step to get the ball rolling, and I am really looking forward to it.

I was hoping they would embed flexible batteries into the watchband - heaven forbid we encroach on the possibility for making a fashion statement :\ Just like I wouldn't have minded if the new iPhones were the same thickness as the 5 but had more battery life.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    512ke wrote: »
    You mean I gotta take my ginormous iPhone 6 with me in order for the watch to track my run?

Yeah, they specifically mentioned it relies on the iPhone GPS.

Ugh - we really need some breakthroughs on battery technology :p
  • Reply 48 of 58
    docno42 wrote: »
    Yeah, they specifically mentioned it relies on the iPhone GPS.

Ugh - we really need some breakthroughs on battery technology :p

No kidding. Apparently graphene is the ticket, but it's still awhile out from being manufactured effectively.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

You mean I gotta take my ginormous iPhone 6 with me in order for the watch to track my run? Really ?

No, read the website.

• Reply 50 of 58
    Through your phone?
    Through your phone?
    You can control your phone that makes/receives the calls through your phone.

And it's tied to the phone because of:
    Ever hear of the triangle of fast/good/cheap - pick any two? You can't do all the crap you list and then get any kind of reasonable battery life.

And if you think another vendor can deliver, go for it - knock yourself out. Then let us know how that works out for you.
    What you wan't simply can't exist right now - mainly because of battery technology. This is a perfect first step to get the ball rolling, and I am really looking forward to it.

I was hoping they would embed flexible batteries into the watchband - heaven forbid we encroach on the possibility for making a fashion statement :\ Just like I wouldn't have minded if the new iPhones were the same thickness as the 5 but had more battery life.

So all they did was make a colorized Pebble with a couple sensors. The tech does in fact exist, it's in the Samsung watch already. I wanted to see Apple's improvement but instead was shown a step back from the competition. What's the point of having a $350 watch if you still need a phone attached to it? Makes absolutely no sense to me unless I'm in denial that this was a very weak launch. Speaking of denial, I'll chalk it up to being a 1.0 and wait til next year's update.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Did they mention if it has any built in RAM for songs? Really don't want to brings along a 4.7" iphone along on runs and to the gym. That's kind of the main feature I was hoping for. Just Bluetooth headphones and the apple watch.

In the demo I'm sure a song was played that was said to be stored on the watch.

edit:

From the Apple.com/watch site: "when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch".

• Reply 52 of 58
    So all they did was make a colorized Pebble with a couple sensors.

No, this has a lot more functionality than the Pebble. And even as they are, the Pebble is pretty useful. I almost bought one, but decided to wait and see what Apple may do. I'm glad I did.
    The tech does in fact exist, it's in the Samsung watch already.

lol - what isn't in a Samsung device? Throwing crap together is easy. Making it worthwhile and useful is another thing. If you think Samsung has a viable solution, go buy it! Then let us know how that works out for you :p
    I wanted to see Apple's improvement but instead was shown a step back from the competition.

A step back only if you are comparing checklists and not looking at trivial things like usability.
    What's the point of having a $350 watch if you still need a phone attached to it?

Because it make my phone, that I have with me anyway, that much more useful. That's the great thing about optional accessories - if you don't like it you don't have to get it. I'm looking forward to it.

And until we get a real advancement in battery technology, I don't see an all-in-one watch sized device being relevant for a long time, sadly.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    No, read the website.

I must have missed something - the only reference to GPS and the watch that I heard stated it got the GPS from the phone.

Without GPS tracking running might not be that useful. Unless you are only interested in effort and not where you ran. I guess you don't need GPS to track the amount of effort expended during a run - seems like a step backwards given what I get from apps today but maybe it's not that big a deal after all.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    No, this has a lot more functionality than the Pebble. And even as they are, the Pebble is pretty useful. I almost bought one, but decided to wait and see what Apple may do. I'm glad I did.
    lol - what isn't in a Samsung device? Throwing crap together is easy. Making it worthwhile and useful is another thing. If you think Samsung has a viable solution, go buy it! Then let us know how that works out for you :p
    A step back only if you are comparing checklists and not looking at trivial things like usability.

Because it make my phone, that I have with me anyway, that much more useful. That's the great thing about optional accessories - if you don't like it you don't have to get it. I'm looking forward to it.

And until we get a real advancement in battery technology, I don't see an all-in-one watch sized device being relevant for a long time, sadly.

There's lots of times I don't want my phone with me- runs, gym, beach, parks, etc. I'm sure you'd agree with me on that. But you're making excuses for Apple with comments like this. Yes, Samsung does throw features into something that ends up like crap- I like Apple because they figure out how to make ideas into not-crap. This idea of "we just can't do it" is NOT Apple philosophy. This was a "let's put something out there" and if you asked me, it's still half-baked and sounds like they haven't even gotten their draft into working order yet from what I've seen in various hands-on articles. If we as Apple fans accept this kind of product, we're helping Apple to lower their standards.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    There's lots of times I don't want my phone with me- runs, gym, beach, parks, etc. I'm sure you'd agree with me on that.

Sure! I'd also like to be able to teleport to friends and family on the west coast instead of fly - those bastards at Apple are just being mean in not giving me what I want!

/sarcasm

Seriously, you don't think they don't want the same thing too? And that if there wasn't a way for them to deliver it they wouldn't? Who wouldn't love to have all the functionality of an iPhone in something like a watch for those times when you don't need a large screen?

As soon as they can get the right combination of battery, screen and other tech to make it viable I'm sure we will see it.
    But you're making excuses for Apple with comments like this.

No, I'm explaining why, when confined by the laws of physics that instead of delivering a crap experience that only pleases checkbook toting nerds Apple instead focus on only providing the elements that will provide a great experience with what technology is capable of delivering today.

You aren't one of those people who still thinks Apple was wrong in not offering netbooks, are you?

If it's not your cup of tea, relax - this is version 1. We are at the start, not the end. Deep breaths now....
    Yes, Samsung does throw features into something that ends up like crap- I like Apple because they figure out how to make ideas into not-crap. This idea of "we just can't do it" is NOT Apple philosophy.

lol - I still don't see how you think Samsung is going to magically get over issues like battery life by cramming an entire phone into something the size of a watch. And those much vaunted slots you keep talking about - ever hear about sweat? Sand? Dust? Dirt? Rain? And no matter what Apple's philosophies are, the laws of physics are a cruel mistress.

Get the bloody Samsung watch if you really think they got it right and Apple missed the boat. Come back in a year (if you can stomach it) and tell us how great it is, or find out why Apple didn't bother to go down that path....
    This was a "let's put something out there" and if you asked me, it's still half-baked and sounds like they haven't even gotten their draft into working order yet from what I've seen in various hands-on articles.

HAHAHAHAA - thanks, I haven't had a good belly laugh like that in a long time. Project much? Apple just putting something out there? Your getting Apple and Samsung reversed here.
    If we as Apple fans accept this kind of product, we're helping Apple to lower their standards.

Your obviously not paying attention to the plethora of videos of the press being shown the details of these things. The level of detail in everything from the watch bands to the UI is readily apparent. I see nothing that indicates there is any change in Apple's standards with the watch.

If anything the very things you are complaining about re-enforce the adherence to Apple's greatest standard: the willingness to say "No" more than "Yes" when warranted.

And much like the original iPhone launch where there was an early reveal that was amazing and then once the actual thing shipped we got to find out how much more wasn't shown, I expect the watch to go down the exactly same path. We've only seen a glimpse of what is in store. And don't forget the developers, who now have at least four months, if not more, to go nuts and invent stuff that even Apple couldn't imagine.

I can understand skepticism, but complaining that Apple has lowered their standards or is just throwing stuff out there and hasn't thought about this are ludicrous. You might want to go back and watch some of the videos that are being posted and have a bit more of an open mind and use a little more imagination, rather than judging it as an immediate failure because it didn't deliver every single one of your pre-conceieved ideas.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    There's lots of times I don't want my phone with me- runs, gym, beach, parks, etc. I'm sure you'd agree with me on that. But you're making excuses for Apple with comments like this. Yes, Samsung does throw features into something that ends up like crap- I like Apple because they figure out how to make ideas into not-crap. This idea of "we just can't do it" is NOT Apple philosophy. This was a "let's put something out there" and if you asked me, it's still half-baked and sounds like they haven't even gotten their draft into working order yet from what I've seen in various hands-on articles. If we as Apple fans accept this kind of product, we're helping Apple to lower their standards.

I sort of agree at first glance, but if you look at it from the standpoint of the original iPhone it does seem like a monumental foundation for the future. The original iPhone is heavier than the iPhone 6 and has more volume than both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, if I did my maths correctly. And the original iPhone had no '3G' yet everyone said it should have had it. And if you look at the SoC it was pretty weak, which is made even worse by not being better the next year.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Does the Apple Watch have NFC? I think I saw a picture with someone wearing the watch near a NFC reader, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I found the image: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_0922.jpg

Yes, that's how Apple Pay will get extended to the 5 series iPhones that don't have NFC chips in them.

• Reply 58 of 58
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Yes, that's how Apple Pay will get extended to the 5 series iPhones that don't have NFC chips in them.

They stated the card info is either typed in or photographed, and then stored into the Secure Element. I guess they do the initial data input with an older iPhone which then sends the data via BT to the ?Watch which then stores it in its own Secure Element.