Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

Comments

• Reply 141 of 267
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWilliams87 View Post

But the watch work connected to an iPhone, so you'd need the phone anyway, unless I'm some how mistaken.

But if you want to go run five miles, and measure how far you went, do you really have to take your phablet phone?  I mean, isn't that kind of crazy?

There must be some way you can use the watch for fitness without having to carry around a large cell phone.

I guess if you can't use the watch independently, personally i'll just get a Nike or other solution.

Dang, been waiting for an Apple watch as a workout tool.

Final thought --  if the Apple watch isn't for people who want to work out (biking, running etc WITHOUT taking along big cell phones) then who is it for?

Like Tyler said above -- if you gotta bring along Mr. Smart Phone then you really don't need a $350 watch to access the phone's functions.

• Reply 142 of 267
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Sorry, but this thing is just stupid.
    I don't get it either.
  • Reply 143 of 267
    At 5 grand I want someone to come and put it on my wrist every morning.
    And give me a blowjob.
  • Reply 144 of 267
    U2 uggh!
    Now you've gone too far!

[VIDEO]

Direct link:
  • Reply 145 of 267
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Should have sold my AAPL at 103.  I lacked the stones.

• Reply 146 of 267
    Surely, runners will be able to use this watch without carrying the iPhone, too. If not, then Apple really messed up.

I was envisaging a watch which would have wifi and cellphone capability. That way, with a pair of wireless headphones, you could make and receive phone calls, listen to music, make payments, get directions, stay in touch with Siri and work out all without needing anything but the Apple Watch! In fact, I could see people using this plus the iPad and ditching the iPhone.

Maybe some of this is possible, but the keynote was so bloody fractured by freezing that it was hard to tell.
  • Reply 147 of 267
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

For some perspective, check out this thread about the original iPod release

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

"iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more."

"Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player."

"I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!"

"A bad fit. This product is outside Apple's core competancy - computing devices."

"All I can say is that I'm really disappointed. So much hype and anticipation that it was hardly "groundbreaking", moreso "heartbreaking"."

• Reply 148 of 267
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Surely, runners will be able to use this watch without carrying the iPhone, too. If not, then Apple really messed up.

I was envisaging a watch which would have wifi and cellphone capability. That way, with a pair of wireless headphones, you could make and receive phone calls, listen to music, make payments, get directions, stay in touch with Siri and work out all without needing anything but the Apple Watch! In fact, I could see people using this plus the iPad and ditching the iPhone.

Maybe some of this is possible, but the keynote was so bloody fractured by freezing that it was hard to tell.

Pay another bill for the SIM it would require?

• Reply 149 of 267
    And with this, Apple FINALLY finds a way to alienate left-handed people! :)

Are you left-handed?
  • Reply 150 of 267
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The watch far exceeds my expectations in every way. Just about every single idea I had is there, almost to the letter. And far more. Wow.
  • Reply 151 of 267
    If it had been Jobs, he would have immediately dwelt lovingly on some physical aspect of the watch. It's like Jurassic Park: in every film, they were careful to have someone touch a dinosaur bone, in order to bring them to life. I never felt that the Apple watch came to life, and considering that it's the most personal product that Apple have potentially made, I feel that this was a significant mistake.

I haven't watched the keynote, and I didn't see it live, but rather followed a live blog (on a different site, since DED lagged and really couldn't type very fast). So I didn't witness how each presenter did. But I do understand what you mean about Steve Jobs. He was in many ways, the biggest Apple product fan in the world. His enthusiasm for the products was effusive, genuine. That personal excitement, charisma, and energy is what sold me. Now he couldn't rescue something like the PowerMac G4 Cube from poor sales, but even then, you felt like it was a special, unique product that Apple tried to infuse with style, smarts, and technology. I don't think anyone at Apple has stepped into Steve's shoes as far as presentation skills go and charisma, but that isn't necessary. To me, as long as they keep cranking out the products, and as long as they can surprise and delight us, that's all that matters: at the end of the day, what are they selling? Not how they sold it.
  • Reply 152 of 267

I’ll bet you can put it on upside down and switch the UI around.

Possibly, and if it doesn't, I'll bet they issue an update.
  • Reply 153 of 267
    auxio wrote: »
    Yup.  I remember all the hate for the original iPad too -- it was almost proportional to how well it did.
    Yes, I agree, however nobody back then was in the tablet market, it was sort of revolutionarely item
  • Reply 154 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

And with this, Apple FINALLY finds a way to alienate left-handed people! image

Are you left-handed?

I would describe myself as completely ambidextrous, except for the fact that I can do things with my left hand that I can't with my right. Like write words. And control a mouse. And put a fork in my mouth instead of my eye. And just about anything else that requires even the slightest degree of motor control. So I'm ambidextrous in that I have two hands, but only one of them is any good for anything. That one happens to be the left one.

• Reply 155 of 267

According to Apple's website and an actual mention in the keynote, you can store music on it like an iPod. I don't know how so many people missed this.

• Reply 156 of 267
    Originally Posted by FjordPrefect View Post

According to Apple's website and an actual mention in the keynote, you can store music on it like an iPod. I don't know how so many people missed this.

Because it’s barely mentioned. One sentence.

And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch.

• Reply 157 of 267
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

And with this, Apple FINALLY finds a way to alienate left-handed people! image

Are you left-handed?

I would describe myself as completely ambidextrous, except for the fact that I can do things with my left hand that I can't with my right. Like write words. And control a mouse. And put a fork in my mouth instead of my eye. And just about anything else that requires even the slightest degree of motor control. So I'm ambidextrous in that I have two hands, but only one of them is any good for anything. That one happens to be the left one.

So left handed then! Join the club. 

• Reply 158 of 267
    Quote:

Possibly due to the keynote freezing half the fucking time.

• Reply 159 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it’s barely mentioned. One sentence.

And when you leave iPhone at home to go for a jog, listen to music directly on Apple Watch.

I will watch the keynote fully tonight, I hope, as I missed about a third due to freezing, but I felt that they rushed through a lot of the features. Did you think so?

• Reply 160 of 267
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I will watch the keynote fully tonight, I hope, as I missed about a third due to freezing, but I felt that they rushed through a lot of the features. Did you think so?

I think so, but then again freezing.