'Apple Pay' is a Touch ID-based mobile wallet included with iPhone 6, rolls out in October

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    On that note, does anyone actually sign their cards? I sign my cards “Ask to see ID.” That way it’s worthless for non-digital purchases if stolen, and by the time someone makes a digital one I’d’ve noticed. With ?Pay, now the digital part is obsolete thanks to TouchID.

Yes, most people do this, but it doesn't help. I don't remember the last time anyone checked the signature on my card, nevermind asked me for an ID.

The current CC paradigm can't die fast enough.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    I'm really looking forward to the fact we no longer need to carry all our cards with us. Now all we need is an ID/and cash! I have found the ultimate minimalist pocket that fits all iPhones including the NEW iPhone 6 and 6 ! Nothing else like it on the market!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/196206177/kapotas-the-ultimate-minimalist-wallet?
  • Reply 43 of 72

FINALLY! ApplePay is here I’m really looking forward to the fact we no longer need to carry all our cards with us. Now all we need is an ID/and cash! I have found the ultimate minimalist pocket that fits all iPhones including the NEW iPhone 6 and 6+ Nothing else like it on the market.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/196206177/kapotas-the-ultimate-minimalist-wallet?

• Reply 44 of 72
    This technology can make credit card theft a thing of the past. Banks will be happy to pay Apple a fee if it turns out that fraud using ApplePay is 0, while standard credit cards it is about 14%!

ApplePay does seem super secure: no credit card number, no name, one-time tokens, finger-print.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    rudebwoy wrote: »
    I live in Japan. The iPhone is huge here, damn near every smart phone user is an iPhone user. NFC is also huge here, much more than in America. I use it every day to get on the train by simply tapping my card against an NFC reader. You can pay for things in the store with it as well. However from what I'm reading Apple Pay will not work in Japan due to the fact that an older version of the NFC tech is used here. Can anyone confirm this?

Can't confirm on the versioning. But that doesn't matter as there has to be a partnership with Apple for ?Pay to work. Hence the list of participating banks and merchants in the keynote.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/apple-pay/
  • Reply 46 of 72

Apple is rolling this out in the US because they need a radical way to improve credit card security; fraud is a whooping 14%!. On the other hand, adoption may be slow as people are creatures of habit and may still ask for ID (a practice which I find totally strange). Other countries already use Contactless for small purchases and Chip and PIN for larger purchases. So we don't "need" Apple Pay, but adoption would be much faster.

• Reply 47 of 72
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    rudebwoy wrote: »
    I live in Japan. The iPhone is huge here, damn near every smart phone user is an iPhone user. NFC is also huge here, much more than in America. I use it every day to get on the train by simply tapping my card against an NFC reader. You can pay for things in the store with it as well. However from what I'm reading Apple Pay will not work in Japan due to the fact that an older version of the NFC tech is used here. Can anyone confirm this?

There is no such thing as "older version of NFC"

Some of the older technology in use are RFID tags (which are just id numbers), not NFC (which is more complicated.)
    http://www.nfcworld.com/country/japan/
    Japanese carriers ship 14m NFC phones
    May 1st, 2014

There were 13.92m NFC mobile phones in service in Japan at the end of January 2014, the Mobile NFC Association (MoNA) reports, and a total of 70 models of mobile phone that support NFC services are now available from the country’s three mobile network operators.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Originally Posted by Swooshguy View Post

On spec page of iPhone 6, it doesn't show NFC being an option for Verizon. Am I reading this right? No Apple pay=move to AT&T

You’re reading it completely wrong. I don’t see how you could read that.

• Reply 49 of 72
    The website changed after I read that.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    sflagel wrote: »
    Apple is rolling this out in the US because they need a radical way to improve credit card security; fraud is a whooping 14%!. On the other hand, adoption may be slow as people are creatures of habit and may still ask for ID (a practice which I find totally strange). Other countries already use Contactless for small purchases and Chip and PIN for larger purchases. So we don't "need" Apple Pay, but adoption would be much faster.

This. The US's credit card system is the worst in the world. Other countries, don't begrudge us getting this first. We desperately need it.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    tenly wrote: »
    So much for my "no NFC" prediction! Oh well! If the professional analysts are wrong more than half the time, it should be no surprise that a non-analyst is also wrong! /s

The implementation looks good, but I've got 2 questions:

1. At the very end of the presentation, they mentioned that Apple Watch would be fully compatible with Apple Pay. How do they manage that without Touch ID on the Apple Watch? Or are they going to implement Touch ID inside the crown?

2. The initial implementation is US-only. Does anyone have any predictions on how long it will take them to expand into Canada and the rest of the world?

Remember when I said you would be wrong? I'm glad you're good enough to admit it. NFC is something I know a lot about and I knew Apple would only have this choice at first.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

That 14% figure sounds spurious to me. I guess it's possible that 14% of all people with credit cards have had fraud at some time, but I highly doubt that 14% of the value of all transactions are fraudulent. I would have thought that that figure is less than 1%.

• Reply 53 of 72

You are right, it can't be right. Banks charge 3% commission, so maybe 1% is right. 

Still, Apple's system is a quantum leap forward in security. And in personal privacy.

• Reply 54 of 72
    zoetmb wrote: »

I'd also like to see Apple work with all the State DMVs so that you don't have to carry around a physical driver's license.   Once that happens and Apple Pay is ubiquitous, I could slim down to a billfold. 

Careful what you wish for... Keep your driver license out of your phone. If you hand it to an officer, it could be confiscated or searched. You might be OK with that now, but just wait until the convenience of not having that piece of state issued plastic in your wallet or purse becomes legally disadvantageous.

I say "keep 'em separated" and always remember this phrase, "I do not consent to searches".
  • Reply 55 of 72
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Careful what you wish for... Keep your driver license out of your phone. If you hand it to an officer, it could be confiscated or searched. You might be OK with that now, but just wait until the convenience of not having that piece of state issued plastic in your wallet or purse becomes legally disadvantageous.

I say "keep 'em separated" and always remember this phrase, "I do not consent to searches".

Good point.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

This should make returns pretty simple because you can never lose a receipt if you use Apple Pay. 

How so?  Apple said they don't know anything about what you are buying or anything.  So they won't be able to provide a receipt either.

• Reply 57 of 72
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

How so?  Apple said they don't know anything about what you are buying or anything.  So they won't be able to provide a receipt either.

The system handles that locally. Your data isn’t sent to Apple.

• Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The system handles that locally. Your data isn’t sent to Apple.

At least the transaction details of what you are buying...  The fact that a transaction exists for that device is sent to Apple.

• Reply 59 of 72
    sflagel wrote: »

Did you know that both Visa and MasterCard prohibit merchants from requiring customer ID as a condition for accepting their credit or debit cards? All you need is a signed card, and of course the signatures must match.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Did you know that both Visa and MasterCard prohibit merchants from requiring customer ID as a condition for accepting their credit or debit cards? All you need is a signed card, and of course the signatures must match.

But they cannot enforce it since a  merchant has the right to refuse service for any reason.