Apple Watch: First impressions from an afternoon with Cupertino's new wearable

Comments

• Reply 21 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leighr View Post
    The iWatch won't be round. It will be a tapered square, available in 2 sizes , but the same shape. It will be the software that sets it apart, and the wrist band / changing mechanism which will set it apart. Having a changeable wristbands is the kicker. It's easy to change the watch face through software, but having a range of quality changeable bands in different colours and finishes makes it fashionable, and opens up to third party manufacturers.

- I'm fairly happy with my prediction (above) made before the event. I was going to look back through old AI posts to pull up some old responses to the iPad launch, which always give me a chuckle (remember all those posters saying "why would anyone buy a big iPhone", "nobody wants a tablet", "Tablets are a fad that will die in 6 months".... but alas, I couldn't go back that far in AI history). Well, I think those folks have jumped on AI again to give us some more pearls of wisdom about why the AppleWATCH won't catch on. At least it will be something to look back on in a few years and laugh.
  • Reply 22 of 300

Pluggin headphones into a watch is a bad idea. Think about it, the space for the jack is better used for something else and the wires dangling from your wrist would get caught in just about anything.

• Reply 23 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Pluggin headphones into a watch is a bad idea. Think about it, the space for the jack is better used for something else and the wires dangling from your wrist would get caught in just about anything.

Yes exactly. Also, if you look at waterproofing cases for iPhones, the biggest issue is the headphone jack. How do you seal it without preventing use? The watch needs to be very water resistant. Having a big socket to accommodate a 1970s analog audio plug is not a good design decision to make for a new category of product in 2015.

• Reply 24 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmie92592 View Post

Yes the smaller size is too big unless you are a big woman

I guess no accounting for personal taste; but looked fine to me on all the women shown wearing it in the film.

• Reply 25 of 300
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Impossibly thin renderings are easy to draw, doesn't mean they are actually possible, or would be comfortable. 

I'd suggest trying one on before you decide it looks wrong. It was designed by some smart people with pretty nearly unlimited budgets. 
    That's why I hate renders. They don't require any engineering.
  • Reply 26 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmie92592 View Post

So Apple made a nice watch for men. What about women? This is way too huge for women. Yuck!

There are lots of pics with women wearing the smaller model and it looks totally normal women-sized. 

It's actually pretty small. 

• Reply 27 of 300

After announcing the the Apple Watch now, everyone wanting a smart watch will wait until early 2015.  All the Samsung, Moto and LG watches are all toast this coming holiday season.

• Reply 28 of 300

Article correction. The Apple press release states the Apple Watch does have 802.11b/g, in addition to Bluetooth 4.0.

I much appreciate the clarification you provide that the device looks bulky in pictures but should be compact and light when actually worn on the arm. The images do indeed make the device look bulky where every picture of the device on the respective models arms does appear to be compact, in addition to the compact appearance on Tim's wrist.

• Reply 29 of 300
    I change my mind. I love this now.
  • Reply 30 of 300
    Was really looking forward to this, but call me disappointed today. I realize that it offers lots, but as a fitness enthusiast, this falls way short of what I hoped for. Apple has all the pieces to blow a unit by Garmin or Polar out of the water, but they didn't do it. It could be a decent piece for the gym goer, who can rest their phone on the treadmill display, but I don't want to be stuck carrying my phone to make the watch operational. It needs GPS, the ability to store a playlist, Bluetooth headphones, and all the cool health monitoring tech - and without a doubt needs to be waterproof. Could even just use a fitness mode, that turns off many of the functions that are available when tethered. Oh well, I understand this is series one, but I really felt they had the potential to kill it.
  • Reply 31 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Next Apple Challenge: get states to recognize a digital Driver's License and insurance card. Otherwise...I've still got a piece of plastic I have to carry around too.

Actually, BLE keyless entry/push button start would be first, since you reach for that far more than your DL. The DL and insurance checks are just to generate ticket revenue anyway. Where I live, they always swipe the DL through the computer to instantly check for revocations or warrants.  They do the same thing if you just give the number.

Insurance doesn't mean a thing either, the DMV electronically receives all insurance renewals/cancellations and instantly correlates the information. They don't have to wait until you get a ticket or an accident: they sent a roommate a nasty letter when they found he had got insurance but still had an out-of-state car registration.

• Reply 32 of 300

As far as fit, finish, and software the Apple Watch is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. I'm glad they pushed the boundaries with high end materials and customization for the watch. I will most definitely buy one next year so that I can take advantage of Apple Pay with my 5S until I can upgrade to the 6S next fall.

• Reply 33 of 300

It's definitely the best smartwatch that can be produced with current technology even though in truth, it's just an iPhone accessory. Besides the convenience of it being on your wrist, the only thing it can do that the iPhone "6" can't is the heartrate monitor (although there are several 3rd party bluetooth solutions for that). Everything else could be duplicated via software in an app. In 5 years, the Apple watch will be super thin and cut its ties to the iPhone by providing its own cellular and GPS functions. I think that's when I'll get mine. It was a great keynote and now it finally feels like Steve Job's shadow over Tim Cook got a lot smaller.

• Reply 34 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Next Apple Challenge: get states to recognize a digital Driver's License and insurance card. Otherwise...I've still got a piece of plastic I have to carry around too.

This! (for Canada too please). I want my phone to replace my driver's license, all my cards, passport, car keys, house keys, any key, etc.

• Reply 35 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

You know there's two sizes, right?

You can't expect that Android Nazi scumbag to actually get his facts right can you lol

• Reply 36 of 300

So many unanswered questions - resolution, storage, apps...

Still, I must say that the digital crown is a typical Apple innovation. It makes sense and it is amazing how simple the idea really is. And of course, no one else thought about it AFAIK.

I loved what was shown. I wanted more health-related things but I guess I was jaded completely by reading all those rumors (12 sensors on the iWatch!!). I love that Milanese chain style and that is what I will get.

The only real negative about it for me is that I have to goddamn wait till 2015! But it makes perfect sense. Someone here said that there are no leaks of the Apple Watch because it hasn't been manufactured yet. He/ She was spot on.

And now, Apple can go into full-scale manufacturing and websites cannot garner greedy hits with 'leaks'!

• Reply 37 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

After announcing the the Apple Watch now, everyone wanting a smart watch will wait until early 2015.  All the Samsung, Moto and LG watches are all toast this coming holiday season.

If Apple retail is clever, they will come up with form of early gift option for Christmas so you can give it to someone as present? I have no clue how that might work though.

• Reply 38 of 300
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

The idiot who got all bent out of shape about no headphone jack  has never heard of bluetooth obviously. But then again perhaps he works for Samsung design and thats how they think and forget the obvious stuff like actually getting it to work , like for example the samsung fingerprint sensor which doesn't actually work!

• Reply 39 of 300
    rogifan wrote: »
    That's why I hate renders. They don't require any engineering.

Exactly. Anyone can draw a pretty concept. Apple has to actually deliver a working one.
    One might as well complain that Apple hasn't invented the anti-gravity tech promised by movie special effects.
  • Reply 40 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

It's definitely the best smartwatch that can be produced with current technology even though in truth, it's just an iPhone accessory. Besides the convenience of it being on your wrist, the only thing it can do that the iPhone "6" can't is the heartrate monitor (although there are several 3rd party bluetooth solutions for that). Everything else could be duplicated via software in an app. In 5 years, the Apple watch will be super thin and cut its ties to the iPhone by providing its own cellular and GPS functions. I think that's when I'll get mine. It was a great keynote and now it finally feels like Steve Job's shadow over Tim Cook got a lot smaller.

I would think that they have to eventually make it work without the iPhone, if they are interested in selling it as a standalone device. But it just doesn't seem possible really