Apple Watch: First impressions from an afternoon with Cupertino's new wearable

Comments

• Reply 41 of 300
    It's a shame the Apple Watch will not be compatible with the iPhone 4S, even thought the 4S is still sold and will run IOS 8. That means it will not work with 21% of the current iPhone user base.
    http://info.localytics.com/blog/iphone-5-and-ipad-2-still-dominates
  • Reply 42 of 300
    dbh wrote: »
    it did mention two sizes.. 42mm and 38mm... is 38mm still big??

40mm is considered small for Men's watches.
    45mm to 55mm is considered large.
  • Reply 43 of 300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

The renderings on AI over the past year draw rings around this fugly design. Even though I'm not particularly interested in the functionality of it I certainly expected much more than this that would coax me to buy it. However this clunky looking thing just unnerves me.

Which planet have you been living on the last few years? Haven't you noticed the current fashion craze to wearing huge oversized watches? You need to get out more grandpa!

• Reply 44 of 300
    Quote:

The renderings on AI over the past year draw rings around this fugly design. Even though I'm not particularly interested in the functionality of it I certainly expected much more than this that would coax me to buy it. However this clunky looking thing just unnerves me.

I'm so happy you didn't like what you saw. I'd hate to lose your trolling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Which planet have you been living on the last few years? Haven't you noticed the current fashion craze to wearing huge oversized watches? You need to get out more grandpa!

I kept contemplating whether to respond to @pazuzu or not. I was wondering whether it is worth trolling a troll or not. I decided it wasn't worth my time.

Now, if I already had the Apple Watch, I'm sure I would have decided my time was precious sooner!

• Reply 45 of 300

Do you need to have an iPhone in your pocket to make a NFC credit card payment? The thing that interests me is the added security not having to use a credit card at restaurants and other places where I lose sight of the card. Hasn't anyone made the connection that having this thing on one's wrist means it is more difficult to lose.? I  have lost count the number of times and that horrible feeling I have had remembering where I left my phone or wallet. Frantically trying to remember if I left it in the trunk of my car, under the car seat, which jacket pocket and so on. The cell phone is a nightmare to keep a track of. With this I can at least just rotate my wrist and its right there for a few things like time, seeing a message, mail, maps and so on. If I need more detail I fish  out my phone. I believe  this thing will sell really well because of the ability to have it always there rather than fish around in my pocket pull out phone swipe and then select an app. Seems to me this is much more convenient in many ways.  When one considers the amount of time people spend gawking at their cell phones now they will  be able to actually interact more with the real world than their phone. I can just be walking along looking for a street address occasionally glancing at my wrist to find somewhere. Seems much more natural to me.

• Reply 46 of 300
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I had no idea what to expect before the event, and I'm pleased to see that for a change, pictures of the ?Watch weren't leaked out by any criminal Chinese workers. It's a good thing that it's not in mass production yet!

I hadn't really thought much about it before, but it makes perfect sense to use the square shape. We are talking about a display that is going to display all sorts of information after all, and not just tell the time. In that regard, watches like the Moto 360 are a total failure, because their function is flawed, not to mention the terrible battery life that has been reported.

Would you buy a round tv for your livingroom? That makes about as much sense as having a round smart watch on your wrists. It doesn't matter how it looks. It's a dumb idea, and it's a flawed concept. Only a few mentally deficient Fandroids would ever want one of those.

I wasn't sure what to think about the ?Watch design when I first saw it, but after seeing many of the gazillion different wristband options for it, and the three different models, I do like how some of the combinations look. This product is extremely customizable, and it's smart of Apple to offer it in two different sizes! 

The other smartwatches by Samsung and others don't offer different sizes. I saw this one Samsung watch that is not even made for a human wrist, as the shape doesn't fit good around a wrist. But what else do you expect from a company that is used to copying other people's ideas? 

Also that scroll wheel or the digital crown on the ?Watch or whatever it's called seems to be a smart solution.

And it's funny how a few people are complaining about the thickness. These are probably the same people who complain that Apple needs to stop making their phones thinner. Get your stories straight, you hypocrites!

I quite like the way that the iWatch looks. It looks to be extremely well made, like a premium item and not cheap junk like other smart watches. 

I think that it has a sort of retro, but classic look to it. I also like how ? offers a more upscale model that's in gold! That model will no doubt be a bit more costly, and that's great! I wrote many months ago that I hoped that ? would offer more expensive models of the ?Watch.

I think that the ?Watch will do decent. I fully expect Fandroids and others who can't afford one to whine about it. The ?Watch is not for everybody, but it's quite a bit ahead of any other so called smartwatch that has been released.

• Reply 47 of 300

If they made a teeny-tiny "women's" version it wouldn't be much use would it. The sizes they have chosen are correct.

• Reply 48 of 300
    analogjack wrote: »
    Best of luck Sammy.

"Thanks! We need it."
    - Samsung Electronics CEO #1
    - Samsung Electronics CEO #2
    - Samsung Electronics CEO #3
    paul94544 wrote: »
    If Apple retail is clever, they will come up with form of early gift option for Christmas so you can give it to someone as present? I have no clue how that might work though.

Perhaps a gifting app with renders/pictues/feature set? Links to apps and so on.

Do you need to have an iPhone in your pocket to make a NFC credit card payment?

It *seems* that it works without an iPhone because it has NFC inside it.

http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

And:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182194/apple-watch-is-first-device-category-developed-under-tim-cook-took-years-to-complete
    Along with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Apple Watch has NFC built in to conduct touch-less Apple Pay payments.
  • Reply 49 of 300
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It *seems* that it works without an iPhone because it has NFC inside it.

I don't think so.

It needs to be paired with the iPhone.

• Reply 50 of 300
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    The idiot who got all bent out of shape about no headphone jack  has never heard of bluetooth obviously. But then again perhaps he works for Samsung design and thats how they think and forget the obvious stuff like actually getting it to work , like for example the samsung fingerprint sensor which doesn't actually work!

Sure, there are quite a few reasons why an analog headphone jack isn't included, but I'd give the guy who asked the question enough credit to assume he wasn't planning to wear the headphones while he was walking around and working. I picture him wanting to use the headphones while riding on a train or plane. For this use case, analog headphones make a lot of sense since they're cheaper and would not have to be kept charged like Bluetooth headsets would.

I agree that there won't be one and there shouldn't be one (mostly for the water resistance), but I disagree that the posters question was stupid or ridiculous.
  • Reply 51 of 300
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One observation I had watching the event video again was how different Apple was positioning this from Android Wear. It wasn't really just a remote screen to view notifications; it's something Apple wants you to interact with, to feel, personalize. Even some of the stuff one might call gimmicky like the 3D emoji or drawing a picture and sending it to someone comes across as fun and playful and something young people would love. Jony Ive called the UI vibrant and I totally get what he means. My prediction is this device will be a hit with young people and they will be begging their parents to get them one.
  • Reply 52 of 300
    Do you need to have an iPhone in your pocket to make a NFC credit card payment? The thing that interests me is the added security not having to use a credit card at restaurants and other places where I lose sight of the card. Hasn't anyone made the connection that having this thing on one's wrist means it is more difficult to lose.? I  have lost count the number of times and that horrible feeling I have had remembering where I left my phone or wallet. Frantically trying to remember if I left it in the trunk of my car, under the car seat, which jacket pocket and so on. The cell phone is a nightmare to keep a track of. With this I can at least just rotate my wrist and its right there for a few things like time, seeing a message, mail, maps and so on. If I need more detail I fish  out my phone. I believe  this thing will sell really well because of the ability to have it always there rather than fish around in my pocket pull out phone swipe and then select an app. Seems to me this is much more convenient in many ways.  When one considers the amount of time people spend gawking at their cell phones now they will  be able to actually interact more with the real world than their phone. I can just be walking along looking for a street address occasionally glancing at my wrist to find somewhere. Seems much more natural to me.

You forgot the obvious when wearing The Watch: Find My iPhone :p
  • Reply 53 of 300
    Quote:

Duh. What could you possibly want in a watch?

What bothers me (so to speak) is, as I said before, I remember the '80-'90 watches with embedded calculators, pressure sensors, and so on; some were even solar-powered. So what? The fad just died out and everybody returned to the good old watch with hands. 

The chrono with 1/100 s resolution is a typical claptrap. It takes in the order of a 1/10th of a second for the nervous impulse to travel from motor neurons to muscles and then for muscles to execute the order. No human can achieve better performance. So what's the point?

I concur also with the battery question. Not only will it have to use bluetooth to communicate with the iPhone, but using it under normal conditions, especially outdoors when it is sunny, will probably mean have it run on maximum background illumination, and that chugs juice.

• Reply 54 of 300

Its ugly and fat. Cant stand square watches at the best of times. Nothing to see here, move along....

As for the iPhone6, really nice looking and I think I will get one. However, my spare HTC One M8 is better looking and has had a lot of the stuff Apple announced yesterday for months.

• Reply 55 of 300
    What about lefties (more generally, those who wear a watch on their RIGHT wrist)?! The crown is clearly integral to the user experience and it's remarkably stupid that Apple overlooked the obvious issue at hand (no pun intended) when it comes to left-handers.
  • Reply 56 of 300
    The square design just doesn't work on my wrist. Tried numerous times. The round, classic shape works great though. So this is not going to be a blind purchase, will have to wait and see how it feels/looks on my wrist before I buy it. And by "early next year' they better mean March-ish. Also, $350 is not a lot for a watch. I usually pay about $100 every year or so for a new regular watch, which now I won't have to - just buy new straps from time to time and change the face, and it will feel like a new one.
  • Reply 57 of 300

What about lefties (or any of those who wear a watch on their RIGHT wrist)?!?!

Given that the crown is integral to the user experience and functionality of the device, it's incredibly stupid for Apple's design team to ignore, or just plain fail to recognize, this issue. This watch is rendered useless to those who wear watches on the right hand wrist. 

• Reply 58 of 300

The trend today is for bigger watches anyway… I have lady friends who prefer wearing 44mm watches… My key concern is battery life. Would be a bummer if I need to charge every day or even every other day  

• Reply 59 of 300
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It's a shame the Apple Watch will not be compatible with the iPhone 4S, even thought the 4S is still sold and will run IOS 8. That means it will not work with 21% of the current iPhone user base.
    http://info.localytics.com/blog/iphone-5-and-ipad-2-still-dominates

Or people can upgrade.
  • Reply 60 of 300
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    malcolmjr wrote: »
    What about lefties (more generally, those who wear a watch on their RIGHT wrist)?! The crown is clearly integral to the user experience and it's remarkably stupid that Apple overlooked the obvious issue at hand (no pun intended) when it comes to left-handers.

There is a left handed version.