Discover in talks to join Apple Pay, Swift goes GM at version 1.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

One more idea, what are the chances iPad will be shipped with NFC and an Application that will allow iPad to replace Point of Sales devices?  I think this will be huge.

That wouldn't be necessary. There are many POS systems that utilize iPad, but the stand/dock that incapsulates the iPad can and does have the necessary hardware to facilitate this.

• Reply 22 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rorwessels wrote: »
    And for all of those that say Apple is going to make a lot of money on the transactions, I have not seen anywhere where it was stated that they will make anything on the individual transactions.  Again, I think it gets back to Apple already knowing that they will make their money on their devices.
    It was mentioned right here at AI.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/10/apple-to-collect-swipe-fees-from-banks-for-apple-pay-payments---report
  • Reply 23 of 49

The fingerprint reader and tokenizing the information overcomes the security concern.

Apple Pay is only one part of NFC the other part is all the tokens many people use for access to buildings which is more and more common these days.

• Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehran View Post

I wonder if Apple Pay will also provide a scannable screen with say barcodes (like StarBucks does) to provide backward compatibility?  This does not provide the two way protection for fully secure transaction but may slow down the pivotal reason to upgrade the point of sale equipment.

One more idea, what are the chances iPad will be shipped with NFC

There will be no backwards compatibility of Apple Pay because Apple wants you to buy an Apple Watch for that.

Also I would assume that iPads will not get NFC, because they don't have Passbook.

What would be nice is if Apple allowed people to pair iPads and/or Macs with the Watch instead of an iPhone. That way users can take advantage of all of the features without having to have a smartphone and data plan.

• Reply 25 of 49
    mehran wrote: »
    I wonder if Apple Pay will also provide a scannable screen with say barcodes (like StarBucks does) to provide backward compatibility?

?Pay? No, but PassBook has this option and anyone that wants to allow an bar code can that works with their system can create one. ?Pay is specifically a local token representing your Debit/CC account and other data kept in their Secure Element and transmitted via NFC once you authentic with Touch ID.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    blackbook wrote: »
    What would be nice is if Apple allowed people to pair iPads and/or Macs with the Watch instead of an iPhone. That way users can take advantage of all of the features without having to have a smartphone and data plan.

I might be sounding like a parrot now but I want the ?Watch to pair with my Mac to automatically un/lock when I am x-feet away, as well as the iPhone to auto-lock when it's x-feet away (perhaps if it's snatched from my hands on a subway) and ring and/or vibrate on my wrist as a reminder once it's x-feet away as a gentle notification that I may have accidentally forgotten it.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Fry: Do you take Visa?

Merchant: Visa's been out of business for 200 years.

Fry: Do you take MasterCard?

Merchant: MasterCard's been closed for 500 years.

Fry: Do you take Discover Card?

Merchant: We don't take Discover.

• Reply 28 of 49
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

First of all I am also a fan of Apple Pay and think it can be big. It is also good to add Discover since they are my favorites and often offer the biggest cash back. The one thing I do not understand is why most of the rest of the world added relatively cheap technology to existing credit card years ago that ones in the U.S. never offered. Two very simple things. A small photo of the user on the card and something called chip and pin. This is also known as "Smart cards" because the card has a small embedded security chip. How it works it you enter the card into a machine but instead of signing you enter a PIN like a debit card. The photo on the back would also cost almost nothing to add. 

No this chip and PIN isn't perfect but something like the Target or Home Depot security breaches would have been thwarted. That extra level of security at least adds one more layer of protection over the decades old magnetic strip alone. Signatures are a joke since you could sign Daffy Duck and it wouldn't matter. Many Americans traveling in Europe are now having problems with just swipe type cards since fewer and fewer places accept them now. 

Apple Pay and NFC in general will take a while to catch on so in the meantime I wish chip and PIN would catch on here like the rest of the world to help increase security until it is used by everyone. 

• Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That wouldn't be necessary. There are many POS systems that utilize iPad, but the stand/dock that incapsulates the iPad can and does have the necessary hardware to facilitate this.

Agreed there are many options out there but I see no reason why Apple could not simplify the NFC connectivity. Apple may not make much additional sales but it will does increase the presence and hopefully reduce the cost of those options from 3rd parties.  For example, an Square payment system will be able to support Apple pay.  I hope Square evolves and overcome the short term issues.  Same with vendors such as QuickBooks that provide similar facilities.

• Reply 30 of 49
    I work for First Data, one of the larget credit card processing companies in the world, and we have a partnership with Apple in regards to Apple Pay. The CEO has already sent several emails and updates stating how big they feel this will be. Im super excited to see Apple Pay go live. This is from the companies website: "First Data steps into the spotlight to help shake up the mobile payments world. Our role? To provide the tokenization technology that will keep mobile transactions safe and secure, while also delivering an unparalleled transaction experience for device owners."

%u201CWith Apple Pay, Apple has transformed mobile payments in a way that our clients will love, and it will have an impact on the industry like never before,%u201D said First Data Chairman and CEO Frank Bisignano. %u201CWe%u2019re thrilled to bring First Data solutions to support Apple, and help both banks and merchants take advantage of the new technology. At the same time, we are providing consumers with an easy, safe and secure way to pay with a single touch.%u201D
  • Reply 31 of 49

Yea, Discover Card.

Oh wait, I have a 5S... any one have any NFC's glue on's?  /s(well.. half jokingly)

• Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Apple Pay and NFC in general will take a while to catch on so in the meantime I wish chip and PIN would catch on here like the rest of the world to help increase security until it is used by everyone. 

Because of Apple Pay the US will probably skip chip and PIN altogether and move on to NFC payments from magnetic strip payments.

Most retailer have NFC POS nowadays anyway. No need for them to spend the money to upgrade the swiping portion of their POS to Chip and PIN if consumers embrace NFC in droves (which will likely happen over the next 2 years with Apple Pay) 

• Reply 33 of 49
    Good! I shop at places that only take Discover (some deal worked out) and so it's the one card I prefer for the sake of a single monthly bill.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    What's "iPay"?

If Mr. Cook can call the Apple Watch the iWatch yesterday. . .

LOL!
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RORWessels View Post

It's not getting the press that the new iPhones and the Apple watch are getting. Understandable.

NPR led with an Apple story on Morning Edition, mentioned the phones and watches as almost an aside, then went on to spend the bulk of the segment on Apple Pay... concluding that this may finally get the credit card companies and retailers to modernize here in the US. 

(I agree with blackbook about skipping chip and pay altogether... my AMEX chip is finally accepted at a few retailers, but the processing is glacial.)

• Reply 36 of 49
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Because of Apple Pay the US will probably skip chip and PIN altogether and move on to NFC payments from magnetic strip payments.

Most retailer have NFC POS nowadays anyway. No need for them to spend the money to upgrade the swiping portion of their POS to Chip and PIN if consumers embrace NFC in droves (which will likely happen over the next 2 years with Apple Pay) 

There might be a lot of cracked screens and broken iPhones from drive thru transactions as people hold their phones out the window. I wonder how that will work. Online sales is also another problem area for magnetic cards. It would be nice to have an added layer for online sales for example a temporary PIN that expires and is sent by text. Or perhaps Apple Pay incorporates some online purchase feature I have not read about yet. 

Apple Pay won't solve all the issues but it is a step in the right direction. 

• Reply 37 of 49
    I was one of those anti-NFC folks mainly because of security. Now that Apple allegedly solve that, I might consider it. But only if Discover is part of it.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

... It is also good to add Discover...

I don't think Apple is "adding" Discover, I think Discover wants in.  If this goes as big as it could, they don't want to be left out in the cold.

At the start, Apple asks people to get involved, eventually all they have to do is open the door and see who is knocking.

• Reply 39 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    I still find it funny that there were a ton of people saying that Apple would never use NFC as a payment system when it was the only logical choice. This is the biggest excitement for me as it's eventually going to be good for everyone.

A lot of people simply don't understand technology and combined with unwarranted fear sites on the net have biased opinions significantly. Let's face it you can find Internet sites that are in opposition to just about anything including corn. The problem is this: with tech damning sites you have a whole bunch of people that don't have a clue as to what the technology actually is so they tend to grasp on to the most outlandish statements as fact. It is sort of like some of the idiocy you see with respect to firearms and the arguments against them, little in the way of fact in lots of outlandish statements with no facts at all the scare people.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I was one of those anti-NFC folks mainly because of security. Now that Apple allegedly solve that, I might consider it. But only if Discover is part of it.

This highlights what I've been saying for a long time. People don't understand what NFC is and the fact that a variety of protocols can run over the technology. NFC in and of itself isn't insecure and in fact is used in a number of ways in industry. The real question here is this, are the credit card coma pines and Apple setting a standard here.

In the long run I see a standard as a requirement to advance NFC in this application. In a perfect world everybody would be running Apple hardware but we all know that won't happen. So to advance adoption you really need a protocol that ends up with wide scale usage.