Apple Watch users will need to recharge nightly, company still working to improve uptime before laun

Comments

• Reply 21 of 242
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What kind of a bum is going to sleep with their ?Watch on?

You take the watch off at night and you charge it. When you wake up, you're ready to go again. We're talking about a full color, touch display here on your wrist.

I wear my FitBit while I sleep to track my sleep habits and restlessness, so I guess I'm that kind of bum!  :-D

I do have concerns about battery life, and I agree that it needs to last at least 2.5 days on a charge. I'm betting that using the fitness sensors, taps/vibrations, BT connections, NFC, etc on a daily basis is going to drain the battery more quickly. Additionally, as the battery ages (say 12-18 months later, after numerous nightly charges), the ability of the battery to hold that charge will decrease. So, I wonder what the battery replacement plan is going to be?

It looks pretty hot to me, but I need more details and real world reports as they become available. FYI - I'm calling it now: the Apple Watch in 42mm in stainless steel (and sapphire crystal) with a stainless steel band will cost $650. The $349 model will be for the Apple Watch Sport with the silicone band.

• Reply 22 of 242
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

Even if the battery lasts a day and a half it still needs to be charged nightly unless you have the charger always with you. I would think a minimum useful charge to not charge nightly is at least 2.5 days to guarantee that on the second day it does not run dry.

yes

• Reply 23 of 242
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

Actually, if this device is meant to track sleeping (similar to my FitBit?), then overnight charging makes it so you can't track sleeping, right? Seems to defeat (a small) part of its intended purpose.

That makes the charging time more critical then. If this thing can charge fully in about 30 minutes then you could wear it all night while sleeping and just put it in the charger once you wake up. I can't imagine a sleep app using that much power (no screen needed) thoughout the night. If it's 100% by the time you are ready to leave for work, then that's fine. Besides, I don't think you can wear the non-sport versions in the shower safely but I haven't confirmed it yet.

• Reply 24 of 242
    Quote:

As long as it lasts a full day, then this is not an issue. Those people who are impressed by the ?Watch will not be deterred by charging once a day.

What kind of a bum is going to sleep with their ?Watch on?

You take the watch off at night and you charge it. When you wake up, you're ready to go again. We're talking about a full color, touch display here on your wrist.

The gold models come with a charging stand I read, and ?'s charging solution seems to be well done.

How long will this charging routine take every night? Ten seconds?

Im impressed so far with the ?watch - & i expect Apple will keep working to get the between charges to several days. Otherwise, I for one will be deterred.

What kind of BUM is going to sleep with ?watch on ? You really said that - I sleep with my watch on, so do many other people. and we are not bums - 

you think 10 seconds for the routine ???? ( take it off, charge it in 10 seances or less - WOW

• Reply 25 of 242
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

When the first iPhone was released it didn't have 3G, copy and paste, or an app. store.

And how did that turn out for Apple?

What on earth has that go to do with having to charge something strapped to your wrist every night?

• Reply 26 of 242
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnybleiss View Post

I don't think this is a deal breaker for anyone. It is kind of the standard today that devices charge over night... when we don't use them anyhow...

That's where I'm at. For my iPhone while traveling I like getting multiple days of usual use (2-ish hours or usage per day), the watch, being so accessible, might get somewhat heavier usage but then it's more limited in function... for usual use (not 12 straight hours of hovering on the thing) it'd be nice to have it behave similarly and extend to an extra day for when I may have limited access to outlets. Granted given cars come with power outlets now of one sort or another (the lighter port, actual 110 or USB) that's probably less of a concern that previously. I do wish airlines went back to offering power, one way AMTRAK has them beat.

• Reply 27 of 242
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Man some people need to take a deep breath and relax. The only Apple product people said was revolutionary when it came out was iPhone. And even that was mocked because it wasn't as "smart" as other phones on the market. iPad was heavily criticized when it was launched. This is V1 of a product that isn't on sale yet and no doubt still is being worked on from a software perspective.
  • Reply 28 of 242
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

What on earth has that go to do with having to charge something strapped to your wrist every night?

Is it really confusing?

“A perceived lack of features on a product has, in the past, proven meaningless to Apple.”

• Reply 29 of 242
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

No kidding. I charge my iPhone, iPad, Cordless toothbrush every night.

Charge or die.

They call them batteries for a reason.

Think about your car. If it didn't charge as you drove, you would be calling AAA every day.

Charge or die.

I dont - i use my iPad Ir frequently through the day, and evening, ( i have a couple) and I don't need to charge them nightly.

When I go on a couple of day business trip, i too take my cordless toothbrush, but i don't need to take the charger.

nightly charging of the ?watch would be ( & I doubt apple will let it happen) a reason that many people will either not buy, or buy, then neglect it in a draw after the novelty wears off

• Reply 30 of 242
    Quote:

you think 10 seconds for the routine ???? ( take it off, charge it in 10 seances or less - WOW

You take the ?Watch off and then you connect that magnetic charging gizmo. I don't think that it would take much longer than 10 seconds.

• Reply 31 of 242
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is it really confusing?

“A perceived lack of features on a product has, in the past, proven meaningless to Apple.”

I agree with your second sentence.

Notwithstanding - and time may prove me correct, but nightly charging is hardly a feature. Its a PAIN, and will (in the unlikely event Apple actually releases it that way) result in lowered sales, and buyers remorse when they end up leaving it unused in a drawer

• Reply 32 of 242
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

While you're asleep I fail to see the benefit of keeping it strapped to your wrist versus lying next to you (say) getting charged. OTOH I expect charging intervals will vary by usage (duh), with heavy users needing a nightly charge and "the rest of us" getting the aforesaid 2-2.5 days or more out of the thing. Like on the power charts where they list "usage" and then "standby" times with standby times being relatively huge... or how Kindle inflates it's battery specs: listing  a "month" while in the fine point indicating that "month" is when it's used for a specific, modest number of hours per day. And given that's still a decent number of hours, something like 30, the need to exaggerate and mislead escapes me.

• Reply 33 of 242
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member

I have to absolutely agree with the Needs an iPhone to work assessment. I understand that configuring it w/o one would be an issue, but they could have figured that out. They're reducing their total addressable market so significantly and missing out on the opportunity to pull ( many ? ) others into the ecosystem. People who were gaga over the Galaxy watches but then used it to find the software could use more than a little work would probably gladly compare an ?Watch and see the software is like night and day between the two. I have a brother who uses a Note II/III and he came to me yesterday asking about the new iPhones (details) and the ?Watch. He's one of those people who likes the Note because of its (humongous) size (and some Android flexibility, which I don't think he could live without) but would potentially switch if he were able to try the ?Watch.

Maybe though, much like they did when the iPhone was first released and they had to think through all the details of an SDK and said one would never be available; that the web would be the app store... they're working on a method to allow paring/use with other non-Apple devices? Just support whats supported over the BT standard with non-apple devices?

And yeah, I think they could have made it look better - my personal favorite concept below. Yes, something would have had to have been figured out for the strap. I was thinking that batteries could be embedded (thinly) in the wrist strap. Oh well - gen 2, 3 maybe? :)

• Reply 34 of 242
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

That any rumoured shortcomings will be addressed in future versions.

But this thing will still sell like hot cakes.
  • Reply 35 of 242
    Quote:

You take the ?Watch off and then you connect that magnetic charging gizmo. I don't think that it would take much longer than 10 seconds.

right but its not charged. Don't forget to take the charger with you when you stay overnight anywhere. 

As daily pebble steel user ( useful at what it does for me) I would pay double if it lasted 2 weeks instead of 4 days. 

• Reply 36 of 242
    Quote:

I dont - i use my iPad Ir frequently through the day, and evening, ( i have a couple) and I don't need to charge them nightly.

When I go on a couple of day business trip, i too take my cordless toothbrush, but i don't need to take the charger.

nightly charging of the ?watch would be ( & I doubt apple will let it happen) a reason that many people will either not buy, or buy, then neglect it in a draw after the novelty wears off

No one needs to charge their iPad or electric toothbrush daily but we all charge our phones daily so this is an accessory to the phone that is being charged anyway. I think it actually makes it easier if they both require a charge every night. That way you don't end up with a 75% phone charge and 5% Apple Watch charge left in the middle of the day.

• Reply 37 of 242

I really want this watch and while I will probably get it, I'm really going to have to retrain myself on how I interact with my watch. Currently I have a kinetic Seiko and it never comes off. I wear it in the shower, I wear it in the ocean, sleeping, at the lake, out on the town, etc. It literally never comes off, it never needs to be charged, it just works. It's going to be next to impossible for smart watches to replace that simplicity, but you are also gaining a lot more capabilities with this watch, so there will be pros and cons.

• Reply 38 of 242

…nightly charging is hardly a feature. Its a PAIN…

Everyone does it with every battery device they own…

• Reply 39 of 242
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

No one needs to charge their iPad or electric toothbrush daily but we all charge our phones daily so this is an accessory to the phone that is being charged anyway. I think it actually makes it easier if they both require a charge every night. That way you don't end up with a 75% phone charge and 5% Apple Watch charge left in the middle of the day.

Not convinced at all. Many people don't charge their phones every night - I for example have it plugged in (charging / syncing ...) a lot during the day at work, and in the car when I travel. At weekend I charge at night.

If Apple can get 2 or 3 days (modest usage) then fine, requiring nightly charge - not fine.

• Reply 40 of 242
    Quote:

right but its not charged. Don't forget to take the charger with you when you stay overnight anywhere. 

As daily pebble steel user ( useful at what it does for me) I would pay double if it lasted 2 weeks instead of 4 days. 

Of course it's not charged in ten seconds, I just meant the routine for setting it up for getting charged.:)

As for taking the charger with you if you stay overnight somewhere, yeah, that would have to be done of course, just like with other chargers and things that you have to bring with you.