iPhone 6 & Apple Watch reveals lived up to the hype for Wall Street, investors have high hopes for A

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    scades wrote: »
    First prediction, then. All future MacBooks, and Apple keyboards, mice, and touchpads will come with fingerprint readers, to both tap in to ApplePay and to allow secure login, particularly to shared machines.

Touch ID everywhere. Yes, please.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There IS a 32GB option on the 5S, and it’s $149 instead of $199.

Oh, ok. I was thinking about the newer models, not last year's models.

I see that they still will sell the 5c also, but that one will only come in an 8GB model.

• Reply 23 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What piqued my interest is that the new product and service announced yesterday: ?Pay and ?Watch -- have abandoned the i prefix used for iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad ...

I suspect that this signifies a new era where Apple intends to make their products as ubiquitous as Kleenex, or Xerox ...

did they patent  ?Pie ?

• Reply 24 of 106
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I look at it this way:

The iPhone has gotten cheaper, since there is no longer any 32GB option, and for the same price as 32GB before, you now get 64GB!

So if anybody feels that 16GB is too little for them, then you simply get the 64GB model! Problem solved!

I believe the original commenter is making the observation that it should be 32, 64 and 128, not 16, 64 and 128. The original 32GB was beyond their price range and so they took the 16GB. They were hoping the baseline [within their price range] would be 32GB, thus avoiding to spend more than they budgeted leaving them disappointed.

It's not difficult to fathom.
  • Reply 25 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but when the **** did the keynote "live up" to the expectations of all "users and fans"? There's massive bitching on tech blogs and apple rumors sites after every single keynote in the past decade. Steve Jobs went to bed depressed the night of the iPad reveal, because "fan" reactions online were so toxic. So please, give me the date of this magical, imaginary time of yours. 
    IMO iOS 7, iOS 8/Swift and Apple Watch rank just behind the iPhone launch in terms of crowd reaction. I know everyone on the internet is pissing all over Apple Watch but watch the keynote. When Tim Cook said "one more thing" the crowd went nuts. Same after Jony Ive's ten minute video. There were times when Steve keynotes were incredibly boring as he spent most of his time fiddling around in iPhoto or something.
  • Reply 26 of 106
    What piqued my interest is that the new product and service announced yesterday: ?Pay and ?Watch -- have abandoned the i prefix used for iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad ...

I suspect that this signifies a new era where Apple intends to make their products as ubiquitous as Kleenex, or Xerox ...

Plus they don't have to worry about trademark disputes worldwide. Everyone got on the iBandwagon so it is sort of cluttered up now anyway.

Great points!

?Boom!
  • Reply 27 of 106
    Yes I also kept noticing 'i' has given way to 'Apple' or '?' throughout the presentation, I was surprised AI didn't headline that fact. Good move IMHO.

By the way did they ever name the new OS for ?Watch specifically? It isn't iOS nor OS X, it has Watch SDK and a soon to be Watch AppStore so is it Watch OS?

Yes, it is officially "Watch OS", per Rene Ritchie.

Link, if you have one, please!
  • Reply 28 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I believe the original commenter is making the observation that it should be 32, 64 and 128, not 16, 64 and 128. The original 32GB was beyond their price range and so they took the 16GB. They were hoping the baseline [within their price range] would be 32GB, thus avoiding to spend more than they budgeted leaving them disappointed.

It's not difficult to fathom.

I understood what they meant, but I believe that Apple shouldn't make the lowest model 32 GB just yet, as there are quite a few people who can manage with 16 GB, and it would be wasteful of Apple to provide 32GB in the tens of millions of iPhones that they would be selling.

I think that it's a good idea from Apple to upsell people to 64GB, if certain people find that 16GB is insufficient for their needs.

• Reply 29 of 106

How does one use Apple Pay in a check-out at a restaurant where normally a tip is added at the discretion of the customer?  Does the customer using Apple Pay initially pay the charge on the bill, then request another charge, separately for the tip?  Seems awkward.

• Reply 30 of 106
    hydrogen wrote: »

did they patent  ?Pie ?

Ha!

Probably not!

In 1979, a Silicon Valley user group for Apple ][ computers was started and met in our Sunnyvale store. The used the colored Apple logo, tho ...

• Reply 31 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The only disappointment for me was the 16GB storage being the base on the new iPhones. That just feels cheap. Even as a shareholder it feels cheap.

That being said, they weren't kidding about the watch. Switzerland is in trouble, and Apple is playing in a completely different league than the likes of Samsung and the rest of the Droid Kidz. Some people claim the Moto 270 looks better, it's still a worthless device with obsolete hardware though.

Yep.

Think about it:  

Take the iPod Nano.

Forget the armbands and whatnot. Shift the armband paradigm onto the wrist.

Make it into a "watch" instead. Have it come in different styles. Like iPods do/did.

Make it do more. A lot more. Throw iOS on it. Perfectly. 

Genius. 

• Reply 32 of 106
    rogifan wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but when the **** did the keynote "live up" to the expectations of all "users and fans"? There's massive bitching on tech blogs and apple rumors sites after every single keynote in the past decade. Steve Jobs went to bed depressed the night of the iPad reveal, because "fan" reactions online were so toxic. So please, give me the date of this magical, imaginary time of yours. 
    IMO iOS 7, iOS 8/Swift and Apple Watch rank just behind the iPhone launch in terms of crowd reaction. I know everyone on the internet is pissing all over Apple Watch but watch the keynote. When Tim Cook said "one more thing" the crowd went nuts. Same after Jony Ive's ten minute video. There were times when Steve keynotes were incredibly boring as he spent most of his time fiddling around in iPhoto or something.

Yes!

?Pay

?Watch

?Swift

?iOS 8 for its new openness

Well played, Apple!
  • Reply 33 of 106

Thie whole Apple Watch debut reminds me of the iPad debut.

"It's just a blown-up iPod!"

Basically. 

And now look. 

• Reply 34 of 106
    The only disappointment for me was the 16GB storage being the base on the new iPhones. That just feels cheap. Even as a shareholder it feels cheap.

That being said, they weren't kidding about the watch. Switzerland is in trouble, and Apple is playing in a completely different league than the likes of Samsung and the rest of the Droid Kidz. Some people claim the Moto 270 looks better, it's still a worthless device with obsolete hardware though.

Japan makes a lot of watches too. And I don't think they are in trouble.
    They are if Apple can make razor thin iOS watches (4mm or so) that run on solar power only.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    tonypie wrote: »
    How does one use Apple Pay in a check-out at a restaurant where normally a tip is added at the discretion of the customer?  Does the customer using Apple Pay initially pay the charge on the bill, then request another charge, separately for the tip?  Seems awkward.

I assume, that ?Pay will display the bill merchandise total, a suggested tip % and amount and the grand total. The tip % and amount would display in a picker control (that you could scroll up and down to select a different %).

A picker, as part of a data display, was shown in the ?Watch demo.

If the ?Watch SDK were available, a developer could writs an ?Swift app to do that in minutes.

Also, something not shown in the ?Pay demo -- was the implied ability of the customer to receive back a detailed, itemized digital receipt, to the ?Watch ?iPhone accessory.

OK ...

I'm ?Done!
  • Reply 36 of 106
    After yesterday's HUGE UNVAILING..... This is your opening line to the article!!!! WTH????
    "Though the company didn't deliver any major surprises from its media event"
  • Reply 37 of 106

The contrast between the LA hipster 'sheen' that samsung was trying to cast in their watch presenters was certainly not well executed.  But Apple's engineer was right-out-of-central-casting.  Another brilliant counter-intuitive stroke of marketing genius by Apple.

Its not time to say who 'should' or 'shouldn't' be interested in this product- everyone will spend the next few months evaluating it and its specific person benefits.  

when his friend demonstrated his lunch date acceptance by sending his beating heart seems to have sent ripples through the media as its first killer app .

• Reply 38 of 106
    After yesterday's HUGE UNVAILING..... This is your opening line to the article!!!! WTH????
    "Though the company didn't deliver any major surprises from its media event"
  • Reply 39 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yes!

?Pay

?Watch

?Swift

?iOS 8 for its new openness

Well played, Apple!
    I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it. And hopefully some of the UI is cleaned up. I don't need to view my photo stream on this device.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    brlawyer wrote: »
    The headline says it all: now Apple releases "live up to the hype" of Wall Street, but NOT of users and fans. Good were the times when the OPPOSITE was true.

We done woke up in the Bizzaro world. ????