Apple Watch starts at $349 and launches in early 2015

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Under what definition? When the iPhone was only available unsubsidized, so many people paid MORE for the big model that Apple discontinued the 4 GB iPhone the fastest of any product they have ever sold. 

Makes me really happy to have one, in fact.

The very first model was reduced in price by $200. It really wasn't selling before that.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It really wasn't selling before that.

Sure was.

• Reply 103 of 108
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by robbish View Post

Looks a wee bit bulky, but the fact that it's sapphire faced is very good. It will always look pretty new. Not a great fan of the shape, but in the flesh, it'll look fine, I'm guessing!

Interestingly some are Sapphire faced and others not: the low end "Sport" is faced with treated glass along with having a composite back on an aluminum case versus the "Watch" and "Watch Edition" with stainless or hardened gold cases and ceramic backs along with Sapphire faces.

• Reply 104 of 108
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Interestingly some are Sapphire faced and others not: the low end "Sport" is faced with treated glass along with having a composite back on an aluminum case versus the "Watch" and "Watch Edition" with stainless or hardened gold cases and ceramic backs along with Sapphire faces.

1) But the aluminium with GG will be lighter. I think that's fine and what I'll probably get for Gen 1, if I do get one.

2) I think the back of all of them are ceramic for the induction charging with sapphire covers for the four sensors.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) But the aluminium with GG will be lighter. I think that's fine and what I'll probably get for Gen 1, if I do get one.

2) I think the back of all of them are ceramic for the induction charging with sapphire covers for the four sensors.

No the materials listed for the Sport are these:

"

APPLE WATCH SPORT

38mm and 42mm Case7000 Series Silver Aluminum

Ion-X Glass Display 

Composite Back"

http://www.apple.com/watch/gallery/

You would be right on the relative weights, certainly more of a significant variable in some ways (it's directly perceived) than a mere materials specification...

• Reply 106 of 108
    knowitsomeofthetime

There you are. :)

Good suggestion.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    No...

What do you mean by "no"? That it's not branded Gorilla Glass? Of course not, but it's still ion-infused alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass. I'd be very surprised if it's not Corning's product, but like all the other products from Apple they don't use Corning's branding.
  • Reply 108 of 108
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What do you mean by "no"? That it's not branded Gorilla Glass? Of course not, but it's still ion-infused alkali-aluminosilicate sheet glass. I'd be very surprised if it's not Corning's product, but like all the other products from Apple they don't use Corning's branding.

" I think the back of all of them are ceramic for the induction charging"

?The back material varies: some composite (Sport) and some ceramic (Watch and Watch Edition). That post I responded  to and quoted was about the backs and case material, no mention of the front display material. I copy-pasted the entire Apple description for context.