iPhone 6 & Apple Watch reveals lived up to the hype for Wall Street, investors have high hopes for A

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I look at it this way:

The iPhone has gotten cheaper, since there is no longer any 32GB option, and for the same price as 32GB before, you now get 64GB!

So if anybody feels that 16GB is too little for them, then you simply get the 64GB model! Problem solved!

Indeed: lower entry point doesn't "feel" cheap.

• Reply 42 of 106
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I doubt that Apple intended so many of the specifics of yesterday's announcements to be "known" before the keynote, but they still knocked the ball out of the park.  While I was perusing the Apple site last night, I was consistently impressed/amazed at the level of detail/prep/polish of the presentation of all the things.  The story here (and it's been the Apple story for years) is that Apple is not successful (dare I say loved) because of their laundry list of features and specs--or even their "innovation."  It's their ability to put everything together into a beautiful whole, with a great style.  That's why the event yesterday was such a success even though I can't think of a single significant feature or announcement that wasn't leaked in advance.  

• Reply 43 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

We done woke up in the Bizzaro world. ????

Agreed.  AAPL neither crashed nor skyrocketed.  I can't think of the last major Apple event where that was true.

• Reply 44 of 106
    rogifan wrote: »
    I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it. And hopefully some of the UI is cleaned up. I don't need to view my photo stream on this device.

What do you mean the "why" .... Thats completely an individual consumers opinion... "Why" do I need to buy Oreo cookies???
    You buy it, because you want it...?
    And as for , not needing to view ur photo stream, then by ALL means, DONT!!!! Lol I've NEVER used the stocks app on my iPhone.. But I'm not Bitchin about it SMH
  • Reply 45 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it. And hopefully some of the UI is cleaned up. I don't need to view my photo stream on this device.

I'm sure you're right.  Now that the device is out in the open, there is going to be a huge rush to support it by companies across the tech/health/fitness spectrum.  I expect there will be some amazing, compelling apps announced and demoed at an event in "early 2015."

• Reply 46 of 106

For once wall street is giving credit where credit is due, and they are as excited as we are , to try out the new technology.

• Reply 47 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I understood what they meant, but I believe that Apple shouldn't make the lowest model 32 GB just yet, as there are quite a few people who can manage with 16 GB, and it would be wasteful of Apple to provide 32GB in the tens of millions of iPhones that they would be selling.

I think that it's a good idea from Apple to upsell people to 64GB, if certain people find that 16GB is insufficient for their needs.

My mother-in-law (72yrs), LOVEs her iPhone 5S.  Loves it.

She doesn't know about actual Apps and has never downloaded one.  All her "Apps" are actually Safari shortcuts that have little icons like apps (I didn't even know you could do that since I use apps and hardly use Safari, esp favorites).

She wasn't even using her own WiFi at home and was running near her 2GB limit.

I got her to sign on to her own WiFi at home, and of course her data usage is back to nil.

"only" 16GB makes the skin-crawl of most people here on this site, but as above there are 10s of millions of people who LLOOVVEE their iPhones, are customers for life, and don't need any capacity whatsoever.

I don't think she uses TouchID either.

We may shake our heads about that, but I spent big to get 64GB on my 4S, annnnnnnnd filled it up with movies I don't watch. 

Who's dumber?  Her or me?  Could be me.  Dang.

Cheers! 

(REALLY excited about the Watch.  The Watch is so good that the major phone updates are....'yeah ok').

• Reply 48 of 106
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The only disappointment for me was the 16GB storage being the base on the new iPhones. That just feels cheap. Even as a shareholder it feels cheap.

Why? Most of the people who buy a an entry level model do so based on price, regardless of what the storage capacity is. If the difference in margin is $1-$3 more with 16 instead of 32...you're talking 50-150 million dollars based on just first year entry level model sales alone. That might even be conservative.

Arguably, iOS 8 makes 16 GB even more usable than before with iCloud Photo Library/Optimize Storage behavior and Auto-delete Messages.

So if your only issue is with what they charge for a 16 GB device...I can't sympathize. They're doing the right thing.

• Reply 49 of 106
    Quote:

Yeah and I mean, why would I ever need to look at the weather on my ___insert Apple device___ ?

I can just look outside!

• Reply 50 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    malax wrote: »
    I'm sure you're right.  Now that the device is out in the open, there is going to be a huge rush to support it by companies across the tech/health/fitness spectrum.  I expect there will be some amazing, compelling apps announced and demoed at an event in "early 2015."
    I hope so because as much as I'm amazed by the design and technology in the product I'm not sure Apple answered the "does it deserve to exist" question yet.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:

I hope so because as much as I'm amazed by the design and technology in the product I'm not sure Apple answered the "does it deserve to exist" question yet.

It probably has as much chance as the iPhone and the iPad. Neither of them was considered "essential" before either. I think Apple is to be congratulated for pushing the envelope.

• Reply 52 of 106
    Yes!

?Pay

?Watch

?Swift

?iOS 8 for its new openness

Well played, Apple!

As to the why ...

It helps you to:
    • Buy things
    • Control things, like the AppleTV, lights, thermostat
    • Do things
    • Communicate

The ?Watch is always handy (oh, the pun) interface to the iPhone hardware and services -- that do the heavy lifting on your behalf.

Apple has only scratched the surface to how we will dialog between the ?Watch and the outside world via its iPhone accessory.

For example, the iPhone could alert you through Bluetooth earpiece or the Taptic touch that it wants you to choose among several options like attending the Karaoke party -- as demonstrated in the keynote.

Right now, it's tap a selection on the ?Watch display ...

But it could be: 1 yes, 2 no, 3 maybe -- twist your wrist slightly 1, 2, or 3 times ...

I think the ?Watch can sense the converse of Taptic from your wrist,

Edit:

I should've added, because the ?Watch makes it ridiculously easy for you to buy things, there are companies i that might be willing to pay for your ?Watch just so you can use their buying services or buy their products.
  • Reply 53 of 106
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    scades wrote: »
    First prediction, then. All future MacBooks, and Apple keyboards, mice, and touchpads will come with fingerprint readers, to both tap in to ApplePay and to allow secure login, particularly to shared machines.

AppleWatch missed the boat :(

Am I the only one disappointed that they didn't announce a regular 4" iPhone 6c?

bye-bye colorful people :(
  • Reply 54 of 106
    aelegg wrote: »
    My mother-in-law (72yrs), LOVEs her iPhone 5S.  Loves it.

She doesn't know about actual Apps and has never downloaded one.  All her "Apps" are actually Safari shortcuts that have little icons like apps (I didn't even know you could do that since I use apps and hardly use Safari, esp favorites).

She wasn't even using her own WiFi at home and was running near her 2GB limit.

I got her to sign on to her own WiFi at home, and of course her data usage is back to nil.

"only" 16GB makes the skin-crawl of most people here on this site, but as above there are 10s of millions of people who LLOOVVEE their iPhones, are customers for life, and don't need any capacity whatsoever.

I don't think she uses TouchID either.

We may shake our heads about that, but I spent big to get 64GB on my 4S, annnnnnnnd filled it up with movies I don't watch. 

Who's dumber?  Her or me?  Could be me.  Dang.

Cheers! 

(REALLY excited about the Watch.  The Watch is so good that the major phone updates are....'yeah ok').

Speaking for millions of contented iPhone users oblivious to device storage capacity is astounding insight on your part. You should do it for a living. Then again, the original poster was venting their frustration for themselves not having the baseline be 32GB.

More to the point, if those tens of millions of folks remain oblivious to the baseline being 32GB then they won't mind the less oblivious folks living blissfully feeling they got the most bang for their buck, without having to spend an extra $100.

Personally, investing in any smart phone sets you back a couple thousand with contract, so spending an extra $100 to have 64GB is a no brainer, but I do respect those who perceive they should have 32GB as a baseline.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    What piqued my interest is that the new product and service announced yesterday: ?Pay and ?Watch -- have abandoned the i prefix used for iPod, iTunes, iPhone, iPad ...

I suspect that this signifies a new era where Apple intends to make their products as ubiquitous as Kleenex, or Xerox ...

Plus they don't have to worry about trademark disputes worldwide. Everyone got on the iBandwagon so it is sort of cluttered up now anyway.

Great points!

?Boom!

?Glink!
  • Reply 56 of 106
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Am I the only one disappointed that they didn't announce a regular 4" iPhone 6c?

You’re not the only one mistaken about release dates.

bye-bye colorful people image 

5C exists.

• Reply 57 of 106
    I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it.

YES YES YES!!

This is what I was saying on the other thread and got flamed. Whats the killer app?

I expect 3rd party developers to push better ideas than Apple.
    As to the why ...

It helps you to:
    • Buy things
    • Control things, like the AppleTV, lights, thermostat
    • Do things
    • Communicate

The ?Watch is always handy (oh, the pun) interface to the iPhone hardware and services -- that do the heavy lifting on your behalf.

My crappy galaxy SII can do some of those things. There lies the problem. Apple needs to focus on things only the watch can do. Instead they spent time showing off weather, maps and.... Tweets?!!!

I think the pressure sensitive screen and sensors behind the watch were amazing but mostly ignored. I'm really hoping Apple has a lot more up their sleeve.

Concerning iPhone:

My were those commercials bad compared to the 5s. Is this Apples new in house team?

(First call that iPhone 7 will have a pressure sensitive screen)
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

5C exists.

And 2 types of cases, all in colors.

• Reply 59 of 106
    tonypie wrote: »
    How does one use Apple Pay in a check-out at a restaurant where normally a tip is added at the discretion of the customer?  Does the customer using Apple Pay initially pay the charge on the bill, then request another charge, separately for the tip?  Seems awkward.

In one of the slides they show a restaurant recept and tip is included. I'm sure you can edit the amount also.

EDIT: I see someone beat me to this.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That being said, they weren't kidding about the watch. Switzerland is in trouble, and Apple is playing in a completely different league than the likes of Samsung and the rest of the Droid Kidz.

Yes, Swiss watch makers such as Tissot, TAGHeur, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, etc really do need to watch their backs.  The owners of these are definitely going to drop their current watches and jump on to the Apple Watch.  Most brainwashed poster ever.