iPhone 6 & Apple Watch reveals lived up to the hype for Wall Street, investors have high hopes for A

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Oh, ok. I was thinking about the newer models, not last year's models.

I see that they still will sell the 5c also, but that one will only come in an 8GB model.

He knows that. He's just trollin'.

5C exists.

see?
    pmz wrote: »
    And 2 types of cases, all in colors.

And STILL no 6c was announced.

bye-bye colorful people :(
  • Reply 62 of 106

I was thinking of buying the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Grande Complication but now am seriously considering the Apple Watch instead.

• Reply 63 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

IMO iOS 7, iOS 8/Swift and Apple Watch rank just behind the iPhone launch in terms of crowd reaction. I know everyone on the internet is pissing all over Apple Watch but watch the keynote. When Tim Cook said "one more thing" the crowd went nuts. Same after Jony Ive's ten minute video. There were times when Steve keynotes were incredibly boring as he spent most of his time fiddling around in iPhoto or something.

True, and after his death some people want to pretend that Apple could do no wrong during his time, and that every second of him on stage was a constant orgasm. It wasn't. I remember well the mockery after every keynote, especially online, and the negative comments always tended to outweigh the good. The same people who mocked and derided Jobs then, are now claiming that he must be "rolling in his grave" regarding the latest keynote and product reveals. It's nothing more than exploiting the dead Jobs and putting words in his mouth in order to further bash Apple. It's quite a nauseating and disgusting tactic. 

I'll never forget how the online community pissed all over the iPad reveal, and where that product is today. It's why I put zero stock in the reactions online, especially Apple blogs/forums where it tends to be the worst. People were fantasizing about a tablet running OSX. Just think about that for a second, and the utter usability nightmare that would have been. But thats what they were demanding Jobs show, and when he didn't, he was demonized to no end. The iWatch tells me one thing about Apple- that their fanatical obsession to detail, and the deep thought and care they take into designing products has not lessened one bit- it has only increased. One does not even need to like the product to admit that. 

• Reply 64 of 106
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

And STILL no 6c was announced.

OF COURSE IT WASN’T. It was never going to be.

• Reply 65 of 106
    cali wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it.

YES YES YES!!

This is what I was saying on the other thread and got flamed. Whats the killer app?

I expect 3rd party developers to push better ideas than Apple.
    As to the why ...

It helps you to:
    • Buy things
    • Control things, like the AppleTV, lights, thermostat
    • Do things
    • Communicate

The ?Watch is always handy (oh, the pun) interface to the iPhone hardware and services -- that do the heavy lifting on your behalf.

My crappy galaxy SII can do some of those things. There lies the problem. Apple needs to focus on things only the watch can do. Instead they spent time showing off weather, maps and.... Tweets?!!!

I think the pressure sensitive screen and sensors behind the watch were amazing but mostly ignored. I'm really hoping Apple has a lot more up their sleeve.

Concerning iPhone:

My were those commercials bad compared to the 5s. Is this Apples new in house team?

(First call that iPhone 7 will have a pressure sensitive screen)

Yeah ... Some of those things -- with some amount of ease ...

You should watch this video:

http://recode.net/2014/09/10/can-your-watch-do-this-full-demo-of-the-apple-watch-video/

Finally, I would re-emphasise that the ?Watch lets you securely buy things with ridiculous ease!

And that makes it advantageous for you to have an ?Watch. Not just advantageous to you -- but to merchants who sell things, and cc providers who make money when you buy things using their services.

For example, A friend recently got a BofA Visa card. Part of the incentive was that she got $200 immediate cashback when she charged her first $1,500.

She paid monthly bills, bought gas, shopped online, at Target and Home Depot ... All things she normally paid with cash or debit card. These were really not secure transactions -- and BofA Visa paid her $200 for $1,500 of non-secure transactions ... I wonder how much they'd pay for $1,500 of completely secure transactions ... $349?

But, but, Amex, MasterCard, Discover also offer cc services and rewards -- why shouldn't they take advantage and give you rewards for securely using their services too?

What about merchants like Amazon, Nordstrom, BestBuy, Sears -- anybody who offers Rewards ...

It's not too much of a jump to see the day when: Instead of receiving a free credit card in the mail -- you'll receive a free ?Watch for $2,000 worth of charges using their services,
  • Reply 66 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

My crappy galaxy SII can do some of those things. There lies the problem. Apple needs to focus on things only the watch can do. Instead they spent time showing off weather, maps and.... Tweets?!!!

I think the pressure sensitive screen and sensors behind the watch were amazing but mostly ignored. I'm really hoping Apple has a lot more up their sleeve.

They showed applications that hundreds of millions of people (if not billions) use daily. Familiar things- thats pretty important when introducing a new product such as this, reassuring people that it will work ith the stuff they love to do today. 

As for the pressure sensitivity stuff, I agree, but I don't begrudge Apple for not showing more. First, there were so many aspects to touch on, its possible they haven't completely fleshed out these applications yet. Secondly, if I were them I would keep the more unique stuff close to my chest until closer to launch. It's not like anyone can pre-order the iWatch anyway, it wont be out for months. Showing all unique software features now will just give a massive headstart to the competition. They need some extra wow to build hype right before launch.

But even with the unique stuff they DID show (ie. the subtle tapping to communicate) I can already imagine hundreds of practical, daily applications. ie. stuff like "Im here", "On the way", "lets leave", "meet me at the door in 5 min", can all be communicated and the other person does not even need to take their hands out of their pocket, or look at anything to get the message- which only they get and noone else. Its fucking brilliant. 

• Reply 67 of 106
    tonypie wrote: »
    How does one use Apple Pay in a check-out at a restaurant where normally a tip is added at the discretion of the customer?  Does the customer using Apple Pay initially pay the charge on the bill, then request another charge, separately for the tip?  Seems awkward.

In one of the slides they show a restaurant recept and tip is included. I'm sure you can edit the amount also.

EDIT: I see someone beat me to this.

Ha! Here's a tutorial on how to write a Tip Calculator app using Swift ...

http://www.raywenderlich.com/74904/swift-tutorial-part-2-simple-ios-app

I suspect that the ?Watch SDK will support Swift because it is a fast, efficient and powerful language!
  • Reply 68 of 106
    slurpy wrote: »

They showed applications that hundreds of millions of people (if not billions) use daily. Familiar things- thats pretty important when introducing a new product such as this, reassuring people that it will work ith the stuff they love to do today. 

As for the pressure sensitivity stuff, I agree, but I don't begrudge Apple for not showing more. First, there were so many aspects to touch on, its possible they haven't completely fleshed out these applications yet. Secondly, if I were them I would keep the more unique stuff close to my chest until closer to launch. It's not like anyone can pre-order the iWatch anyway, it wont be out for months. Showing all unique software features now will just give a massive headstart to the competition. They need some extra wow to build hype right before launch.

But even with the unique stuff they DID show (ie. the subtle tapping to communicate) I can already imagine hundreds of practical, daily applications. ie. stuff like "Im here", "On the way", "lets leave", "meet me at the door in 5 min", can all be communicated and the other person does not even need to take their hands out of their pocket, or look at anything to get the message- which only they get and noone else. Its fucking brilliant. 

Been done before:

Tony Orlando:

Oh, my darling,
    Knock Tap three times
    On the ceiling if you want me.
    Mmm-hmm, twice on the pipe
    If the answer is no.
    Oh my sweetness,
    Means you'll meet me
    In the hallway.
    Ohh, ohh, twice on the pipe
    Means you ain't gonna show.

http://www.songlyrics.com/orlando-tony/knock-three-times-lyrics/#HEoLuFfViJERuYwc.99

Edit:

"Get your hands out of your pockets ... Uh, Oh --- your sending someone a secret message ..." :D
  • Reply 69 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Another hands on account of the Apple Watch giving props to the design.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

[QUOTE]The overall level of design in the Apple Watch simply blows away anything -- digital or analog -- in the watch space at $350. There is nothing that comes close to the fluidity, attention to detail, or simple build quality found on the Apple Watch in this price bracket.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]...the attention to detail on the straps and bracelets themselves is downright incredible, and when I mentioned above that nothing comes close in this price range, it is very visible when talking about straps.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 70 of 106
    slurpy wrote: »
    True, and after his death some people want to pretend that Apple could do no wrong during his time, and that every second of him on stage was a constant orgasm. It wasn't. I remember well the mockery after every keynote, especially online, and the negative comments always tended to outweigh the good. The same people who mocked and derided Jobs then, are now claiming that he must be "rolling in his grave" regarding the latest keynote and product reveals. It's nothing more than exploiting the dead Jobs and putting words in his mouth in order to further bash Apple. It's quite a nauseating and disgusting tactic. 

I'll never forget how the online community pissed all over the iPad reveal, and where that product is today. It's why I put zero stock in the reactions online, especially Apple blogs/forums where it tends to be the worst. People were fantasizing about a tablet running OSX. Just think about that for a second, and the utter usability nightmare that would have been. But thats what they were demanding Jobs show, and when he didn't, he was demonized to no end. The iWatch tells me one thing about Apple- that their fanatical obsession to detail, and the deep thought and care they take into designing products has not lessened one bit- it has only increased. One does not even need to like the product to admit that. 
    Agreed. People now look back at the iPad and think of it as a revolution but at the time it was panned. I think Apple Watch has the possibility to be amazing but before Apple puts it on sale they need to have a killer feature/app that makes everyone go "I WANT THIS". I'm guessing Apple announced it now so they could get it out there before any parts leaked. But maybe also to get developers on board early so once it does launch there are tons of amazing apps available on day 1.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OF COURSE IT WASN’T. It was never going to be.

Apple will never make that mistake again....

• Reply 72 of 106
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

The current valuation is based on a lot of hype and very high expectations.  All Apple has to do is actually exceed those in sales and the stock price should go up nicely.

• Reply 73 of 106
    Ouch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11088667/Apple-Watch-too-feminine-and-looks-like-it-was-designed-by-students-says-LVMH-executive.html

EDIT: and I see Business Insider is running with this story so expect it to be all over Twitter and tech sites soon. Sigh.
  • Reply 74 of 106
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ouch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11088667/Apple-Watch-too-feminine-and-looks-like-it-was-designed-by-students-says-LVMH-executive.html

EDIT: and I see Business Insider is running with this story so expect it to be all over Twitter and tech sites soon. Sigh.

It is somewhat true, but its going to come down to if the functionality outweighs the cludginess.  If someone told me Apple had partnered with someone to make these watches, from the looks, I would have guessed 'Armitron'

• Reply 75 of 106
    rogifan wrote: »
    I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why".

The reason is the iPhone. Those have now become so large that you don't want to take it out of your pocket every time it bleeps. Personally I think the original iPhone was the perfect size, with its 3.5" screen. They upped it to 4" due to 'popular demand' and have done the same again with these new iPhones. I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the smaller phone as I use it mainly for making calls, an extincting thing, I'm sure.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Yes, Swiss watch makers such as Tissot, TAGHeur, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, etc really do need to watch their backs.  The owners of these are definitely going to drop their current watches and jump on to the Apple Watch.  Most brainwashed poster ever.

Those Swiss watch makers could definitely be around in 100 years, they make amazing and beautiful watches. But here's the thing about Apple introducing the Apple Watch, it reminds me of the iPhone introduction. It's not as Earth shattering as that (can anything ever be again?) but there is one big similarity, ask yourself this:

Does the idea of a phone in your pocket that can only make phone calls seem ridiculous in 2014? No texting, no email, no FaceTime, no still camera, no video camera, no GPS, no music player, no watching movies or television shows, no clock, no calendar, no alarm, no calculator, no voicemail, no photo album, no games, no Apps, no Internet...

A phone that just makes phone calls. Seems almost absurd.

Will people in a decade feel that way about a watch that only tells time?
  • Reply 77 of 106

Did Apple say anything about using Apple Pay via the Apple Watch when you have a iPhone 4S-5S [basically a phone that works with the Apple Watch, but doesn't itself have NFC]?  You would think it should work, but I can see Apple pulling a Siri and requiring an iPhone 6 anyway.

• Reply 78 of 106
    frood wrote: »
    It is somewhat true, but its going to come down to if the functionality outweighs the cludginess.  If someone told me Apple had partnered with someone to make these watches, from the looks, I would have guessed 'Armitron'
    Really? You think this looks like something that was designed by a 1st year design student?
  • Reply 79 of 106

I'm a shareholder as well, and I agree that it feels cheap. I'll be upgrading my 4s to a 6+ and even 3 years ago I went back and exchanged my 16gb for a 32gb. I'm glad I did because I've nearly filled up my capacity with photos and apps a few times. With some apps running at 1GB or more, 16GB doesn't make sense (as I recall 2-3GB was already taken for iOS). I'm sure Apple has run the numbers though and making 32GB as the base would have cost them too much profit. 

• Reply 80 of 106
    Did Apple say anything about using Apple Pay via the Apple Watch when you have a iPhone 4S-5S [basically a phone that works with the Apple Watch, but doesn't itself have NFC]?  You would think it should work, but I can see Apple pulling a Siri and requiring an iPhone 6 anyway.
    I heard it will work if you own an Apple Watch.