Apple Watch is first device category developed under Tim Cook, took years to complete

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »
    Not me. And for the amount of tech they put inside I don't even think it's thick, when compared to sports watches (I've showed pictures before, I'm sure you've seen that one). Besides, evolution will take care of the thickness. Especially now that 'the competition' knows what to put inside a smartwatch.

The battery is so easily charged I think normal use will only require it to charge overnight. Though I'm sure there will be many complaints the first couple of weeks when the whole world is playing with it, trying out each and every app, draining the battery way faster than 'normal use'.

edit: I also think it's incredibly cheap. A starting price of $349 is similar to sports watches. I'm in the market for a triathlon watch and am probably choosing the Suunto Ambit 3, $600. But that one is waterproof and has different features, obviously. Can't really compare these...

500 500

1Those look really thick to me, too. If the in-person look and feel is as people are saying then I may very well get one… assuming the battery life is adequate.

2) Since it uses inductive charging and the S1 is sealed in a resin and the speaker is water resistance I hope these device has at least IP67 rating by the time it goes on sale. Seems to me they are going that route.

3) With my Fitbit Force I would charge it whilst in the shower and since it had a 7 day battery 30 minutes per day was more than sufficient time and if I forgot a day or two I was never worried about it. I don't expect a 7 day battery for a device with functionality but, at the very least, being completely chargeable within he duration of a shower would be the minimum I'd likely accept for this device.

4) Did they mention any sleep features? I still haven't gotten around to watching the entire event.
  • Reply 42 of 53

Sounds like too many people are getting all worked up over battery life.  I really think the presentation made it clear that the watch is meant to be worn during the day and charged overnight.  That sounds reasonable.  Sure devices that do less may have longer battery life.  I also would not want to sleep with the ?watch, nor any other watch for that matter.  So it is simple a matter of setting the charger up in your bedroom and plop the watch down every night and put it on in the morning fully charged.

• Reply 43 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dminnici wrote: »
    I'm sure a soon future updated model will have a camera and Face Time capabilities. Apple likes to reward early adopters with less features... So, folks that open their wallets for the Apple Watch v1 will gladly do it again next year for v2 with a camera... I hope that I can resist the urge... But, I doubt it! Anyone want to buy my Apple Watch v1 next year when I upgrade to v2 with camera? I already listed it for sale or trade on ebay. Ha ha

Have you taken one apart to see where the camera will go next year? Or better, have you ever taken anything apart, like say a watch, or even a clock, and put it together again?

How people can believe that Apple leaves out technology just to drive later upsales always astounds me. Like you know what they are capable of cramming in that little case. Did you even see the video of the circuitry stack? Go back and look at it. For shame. Get some realism. Do something with your hands. Something mechanical, that is.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

While thickness is relevant, I'd imagine that weight is a much larger factor.  A few grams doesn't really make a huge difference for a iPhone, iPhablet, or iPad, but it certainly will for an iWatch.

In fact the opposite is true. Because you are constantly picking up your iPhone, the weight is constantly apparent. But because a watch is strapped to your wrist and becomes a part of your arm you wouldn't even notice an extra ounce. I mean, even if you have a chunky watch on, does your arm ever feel like it is weighted? Then there is the leverage factor to consider, something strapped to your wrist is much closer to the elbow fulcrum point than when it is held in your hand.

• Reply 45 of 53
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I'm sorry, but who here believes Steve Jobs had NOTHING to do with the Watch, or Apple Pay before he died? Plans for both things had to have been on the books for years, and some division was surely working on them well before Jobs died (iPod nano watch anyone?). The iPhone 6 is something else altogether, at least the size decision. Regardless if Jobs would have approved of these gargantuan phones or not, it was also likely heavily discussed around Apple, and being developed as a concept if nothing else. So far I don't see anything here Apple can take credit for that Jobs likely wasn't already developing while he was still alive. The Apple TV is still coming eventually too, but unless Apple has something completely unrelated to their current product offerings, it'll likely be a few more years before we start to see Apple truly surviving on their own merits without Jobs fingers in the development of products. Not to denigrate Apple at all, they are a fantastic group of talented people, just that I think it's still too early to suggest they did this entirely on their own. Brought a brand new product category to market without Jobs? Sure. Developed it outside the influence of Jobs on their own? No.

• Reply 46 of 53
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Im sorry, but who here believes Steve Jobs had NOTHING to do with the Watch...

I’m sure he had an idea for one but shelved it due to a lack of need or interest. Wherever ?Watch originated is probably distinct therefrom. He designed a few cars, remember?

Regardless if Jobs would have approved of these gargantuan phones or not, it was also likely heavily discussed around Apple, and being developed as a concept if nothing else.

They were absolutely developed as a concept; that’s how he knew phones above a certain size wouldn’t work.

The Apple TV is still coming eventually too...

What, an HDTV? Nah. But a box with the back-end and UI of which he dreamed? Sure.

Brought a brand new product category to market without Jobs? Sure. Developed it outside the influence of Jobs on their own? No.

Thing about Steve is that he would’ve had the team create prototypes (in varying stages of completion) for just about any general purpose electronic device under the sun in the 15 years after his return at Apple. At what point does going back to one of those–say one that never made it past design reference sketches–and developing it into a real product imply “without Steve”? I’d even say that something that got parts milled for it could count, particularly if it was initially of a different design language than its final release.

• Reply 47 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) Those look really thick to me, too. If the in-person look and feel is as people are saying then I may very well get one… assuming the battery life is adequate.

There are indeed thick, but since they're sports watches it doesn't matter, especially if you're training with other because everyone wears these thick watches, looking a bit ridiculous but it's all about the info, getting a beep when criteria has been met or exceeded et cetera. For a 'daily wearable' it is indeed way too thick, yes.

I think the battery life on the ?Watch is just for 1 day, but no specifics were mentioned. And with the ease of charging I don't think it matters much. What will matter is getting a 2nd charger; they won't be anything like the current $19 + $19 for charger + cable. I'm guessing $69 for the cable with the magnetic inductive thingy, and you'll need the $19 charger.

2) Since it uses inductive charging and the S1 is sealed in a resin and the speaker is water resistance I hope these device has at least IP67 rating by the time it goes on sale. Seems to me they are going that route.

IP67 seems way too hopeful: "IPX7 Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter."

I'm thinking more of a 3, maybe 4: "IPX3 Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80–100 kN/m2 for 5 min.
    IPX4 Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX3 but water is sprayed at all angles."

If it is IP67, I would have assumed they had a swimmer in the sport promo part of the film. There wasn't one, only cycling + running.
    3) With my Fitbit Force I would charge it whilst in the shower and since it had a 7 day battery 30 minutes per day was more than sufficient time and if I forgot a day or two I was never worried about it. I don't expect a 7 day battery for a device with functionality but, at the very least, being completely chargeable within he duration of a shower would be the minimum I'd likely accept for this device.

I think due to the inductive charging and quite small surface it will take more than half an hour for a full charge. Or even an 80% charge; I'm guessing from empty to 80% will take about 4 hours, but I have no foundation for that.
    4) Did they mention any sleep features? I still haven't gotten around to watching the entire event.

Nope.

mac_128 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but who here believes Steve Jobs had NOTHING to do with the Watch, or Apple Pay before he died?

I get what you're saying, and also think that Apple, busy as they always are, will have investigated the prosperity of many 'dreamed up' projects. Remember Apple has a small team dedicated to talk about anything: they can dream up any tech, whether it's crazy, completely undoable or not and they discuss it. I believe Monday 10am, building #2, right next to Jony Sir Ive his workplace. (gotta show some respect when addressing Sir Jonathan Paul "Jony" Ive)

OT1: an iTunes link to the keynote, 1.4GB:
    https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/apple-special-event-september/id275834665?i=318747582&l=en&mt=2

Haven't seen a link for the 1080p yet...

OT2: how to get the opaque Apple logo instead of this (?) all black one? The one I used to have on my keyboard. There's no keyboard shortcut for it anymore but I do remember, distinctly, I was able to get the logo as an outline, silhouette if you will.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    philboogie wrote: »
    I think the battery life on the ?Watch is just for 1 day, but no specifics were mentioned. And with the ease of charging I don't think it matters much. What will matter is getting a 2nd charger; they won't be anything like the current $19 + $19 for charger + cable. I'm guessing $69 for the cable with the magnetic inductive thingy, and you'll need the $19 charger.

What about a Mophie Watch Pack? :D
    IP67 seems way too hopeful: "IPX7 Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter."

I'm thinking more of a 3, maybe 4: "IPX3 Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80–100 kN/m2 for 5 min.
    IPX4 Protected against splashing water - Same as IPX3 but water is sprayed at all angles."

If it is IP67, I would have assumed they had a swimmer in the sport promo part of the film. There wasn't one, only cycling + running.

Looking at the design it seem extremely sealed to me. They said the speaker inside if water resistant and S1 chip is sealed in a resin. Then you have metal, ceramic and sapphire, as well as GG3 on top of the Sport version. The Digital Crown is IR-based, and I bet that has sapphire covering that sensor. Plus they did use inductive charging instead of using the pinouts with MagSafe. All that to me says Apple is going to go for at least an IP67 rating.
    I think due to the inductive charging and quite small surface it will take more than half an hour for a full charge. Or even an 80% charge; I'm guessing from empty to 80% will take about 4 hours, but I have no foundation for that.

1) I hope it's within a half hour to keep it charged so I could wear it all day. I think even the iPhone can get to about 80% in under an hour from 0% but I think that's some weirdness with how LiPoly Batteries work. Perhaps I'll test that on my iPhone 5S tomorrow for the hell of it.

2) I assume the 38mm version will get even worse battery life. I'm also oddly thinking the prices on 38mm and 42mm versions will be the same for a given style.
    OT1: an iTunes link to the keynote, 1.4GB:
    https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/apple-special-event-september/id275834665?i=318747582&l=en&mt=2

Haven't seen a link for the 1080p yet…

Thanks. ????

And I just checked, the HD version is there, for at least the US market, but the 1080p version is still absent but I assume it will be there posthaste.

OT2: how to get the opaque Apple logo instead of this (?) all black one? The one I used to have on my keyboard. There's no keyboard shortcut for it anymore but I do remember, distinctly, I was able to get the logo as an outline, silhouette if you will.

All I can find is the Apple symbol at Option-Shift-K (?) and these two emoji (????????).
  • Reply 49 of 53
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What about a Mophie Watch Pack? :D

Ha! To be worn on your other wrist, with 3 feet inductive charging capability¡
    Looking at the design it seem extremely sealed to me. They said the speaker inside if water resistant and S1 chip is sealed in a resin. Then you have metal, ceramic and sapphire, as well as GG3 on top of the Sport version. The Digital Crown is IR-based, and I bet that has sapphire covering that sensor. Plus they did use inductive charging instead of using the pinouts with MagSafe. All that to me says Apple is going to go for at least an IP67 rating.

Oooh good points! And yes, they indeed said water resistant for the speaker. And there are indeed water proof microphones, just watch a deep sea docu where you can hear the fish swoosh by. Here's to hoping for an IP67 rating. Don't understand why the sports model didn't get a swimmer use next to the runners and cyclist. Perhaps time constrain?
    1) I hope it's within a half hour to keep it charged so I could wear it all day.

Would one, or you, wear it overnight, thusly wishing for a 30 minute charging time?
    I think even the iPhone can get to about 80% in under an hour from 0% but I think that's some weirdness with how LiPoly Batteries work. Perhaps I'll test that on my iPhone 5S tomorrow for the hell of it.

It indeed charges to 80% in an hour, I do that often.
    2) I assume the 38mm version will get even worse battery life. I'm also oddly thinking the prices on 38mm and 42mm versions will be the same for a given style.

I think so too. And will have a fit when the prices for the bands, a separate charger, the golden Edition model prices are unveiled.

Oh, and thanks for the 4GB link (not available here in Dutch-land) + ?. I'll keep on searching for the other one. Lol-ed at this:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Type-the-Apple-Logo-(Mac-and-Windows)

Option-Shift-k keyboard shortcut on Macs. Windows, as usual, takes 5 steps.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    @Flanuer: Why did you feel the need to rebut my post? Anyway, where would you like your serving of crow delivered next year? Be sure to eat it whilst still warm, you lifeless moron and stop being a mindless sheep!
  • Reply 51 of 53
    flaneur wrote: »
    Have you taken one apart to see where the camera will go next year? Or better, have you ever taken anything apart, like say a watch, or even a clock, and put it together again?

How people can believe that Apple leaves out technology just to drive later upsales always astounds me. Like you know what they are capable of cramming in that little case. Did you even see the video of the circuitry stack? Go back and look at it. For shame. Get some realism. Do something with your hands. Something mechanical, that is.

@Flanuer: Why did you feel the need to rebut my post? Anyway, where would you like your serving of crow delivered next year? Be sure to eat it whilst still warm, you lifeless moron and stop being a mindless sheep!
  • Reply 52 of 53
    I'm guessing and hoping they will ad the FaceTime feature in the next model. Can't put it all In the first one gotta leave us wanting it so we have reason to buy the next one with a front facing camera. Apple is smart.