Samsung back on Apple-bashing bandwagon with new 'It Doesn't Take a Genius' ads

Comments

• Reply 101 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

I can't tell Appleinsider how to run their site, but I'd be a much happier visitor if I never saw another post mentioning these adverts again.

It's all about the click revenue...

• Reply 102 of 193
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Comparing yourself or your products to a competitor is one thing. Disparaging your competitor and especially their customers is never a good idea and is the biggest advertising mistake you can make. Imagine calling somebody stupid and then asking for their business. Isn't gonna happen.

• Reply 103 of 193
    These Samsung ads are laughably pathetic, even embarrassing. If I was in the market or a Samsung device, this would put me right off.
  • Reply 104 of 193
    Wow these Samsung guys are quick. How long did it take them to shoot and edit all those commercials? They were out, like the next day! Wouldn't it take at least 3 days to do the concepting, shooting, editing, post production etc?

It's almost like they had them already done, like they planned all of this. Until proven otherwise, that is what I will think. Geez I was kidding about Samsung soon to be stepping in it. Did they really hack the streaming truck/people? Wow.

Yeah, we were like everyone else on keynote day, frantically trying to get the show viewable on any device. None worked. Then the cat knocked the mouse to our Mini on the floor and broke it ( that's a first, although it was 5 years old). We were really frustrated. I'm sure Samsung thinks that is hilarious. Eff them.

I think Samsung just dinged their reputation even more with those ads.
  • Reply 105 of 193
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

I don't get it.  To the regular-joe, they may not necessarily realize that Samsung is making fun of Apple.  I could easily interpret this commercial as Samsung insulting themselves and coming across that its their own watch that is actually stupid.  I think they shot themselves in the foot.

And one has to wonder why their sales are declining...

• Reply 106 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

As they say, jealousy is the greatest form of flattery. 

I believe the correct aphorism is "imitation is the sincerest flattery".

Jealousy is just one of twenty deadly sins.

• Reply 107 of 193
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mike1 wrote: »
    Comparing yourself or your products to a competitor is one thing. Disparaging your competitor and especially their customers is never a good idea and is the biggest advertising mistake you can make. Imagine calling somebody stupid and then asking for their business. Isn't gonna happen.
    Worked pretty well for Apple v PC
  • Reply 108 of 193
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    roly wrote: »
    These Samsung ads are laughably pathetic, even embarrassing. If I was in the market or a Samsung device, this would put me right off.
    They're clearly doing their designated job for Samsung.
  • Reply 109 of 193

Samsung continues making itself look like a childish loser, trying in vain to attack Apple on petty issues (which were either resolved in the past, or have absolutely nothing to do with Apple’s products, like the keynote's live stream).

The Samsung ads don’t attempt to focus on their own poorly designed and poorly selling products, simply because they pale in comparison to Apple’s products and supporting ecosystem. In addition, by insulting the hundreds of millions of existing users of Apple products, they are repulsing the people that they are trying to sell their products to.

Apple should thank Samsung for all of the free publicity Samsung is inadvertently giving Apple in these ads, and for giving users of Apple products yet another reason not to buy any Samsung products.

(?° ??°)

• Reply 110 of 193
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

hey samsung, the ocean called and want their shrimp back.

• Reply 111 of 193
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

hey samsung, the ocean called and want their shrimp back.

Samsung: Oh, yeah? Well, we had sex with your founder!

LG: Their founder’s dead.

• Reply 112 of 193
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

What I find infinitely more trashier than these ads is digging up old quotes from the dead Steve Jobs (who obviously hasn't been making any decisions at Apple for almost 5 years) for their official twitter marketing campaign. I mean, can you get any more classless and cheap?

• Reply 113 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

Samsung's ongoing loud and clear message that anyone that buys anything Apple is stupid is truly marketing genius.

I often wonder if their marketing wizards ever consider the "halo effect" their ads have.

I still have a Samsung plasma flat panel, but once it burns out I will never buy another one (LED, OLED, 4K, doesn't matter). I will never buy a Samsung SSD or a Samsung washer, dryer or refrigerator. A Samsung computer? Well...

Samsung may make some very good products (my flat panel's been quite reliable), but I'll never find out going forward thanks to their ham-handed way of telling me and millions like me that we're not very bright. 

Sure, something I have, even an Apple product, may have something Samsung within it, but I'd just as soon that it didn't.

I will never (knowingly) spend another penny on a Samsung branded product, ever. I doubt that I'm alone. 

So in a way, Samsung has successfully copied one magical aspect of Apple, the "halo effect". Genius.

Two reasons why I will never buy Samsung anything again:

1) I bought a Samsung laptop 2.5 years ago for about £800, and a year later it went bang (and by that I mean something blew and smoke came out, rather than a software issue!) whilst I was on a business trip to Japan. I live in Thailand and went to customer services. They suggested they could reinstall Windows 7 (cripes), that is really all they could suggest.

2) I bought a Samsung 21" LCD monitor a few years ago. About 6 months ago a full-on green vertical line appeared about 10% of the way in from the right side, on every input. Now every time I look at it I feel annoyed. But I won't replace it as it's a great reminder how I'm never going to buy anything from them again.

Oh, and reason 3 is that obviously liking Apple products, I think Samsung devices are bloody awful.

• Reply 114 of 193
    Stay classy, Sammy.
  • Reply 115 of 193

that is funny, and the stream was a hot mess... you have to give it to them for the fast turn around

• Reply 116 of 193
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, Samsung criticizes the hype surrounding Apple Watch. Quizzically, in bashing the wearable, the Korean company seemingly pooh-poohs the justification behind building a smartwatch. Samsung currently fields no less than five distinct Gear smartwatch models.

Nobody actually cares about (or pays attention to) Samsung's smartwatches. They merely served their purpose in getting the mass media, including NPR, to report Samsung was first to market.

• Reply 117 of 193
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What I find infinitely more trashier than these ads is digging up old quotes from the dead Steve Jobs (who obviously hasn't been making any decisions at Apple for almost 5 years) for their official twitter marketing campaign. I mean, can you get any more classless and cheap?

I hate to think how the 5.5" model will look in a suit pocket and would buy a 4" iPhone 6 instead if it had NFC and OIS. It seems moderately questionable that the 4" size did not receive an update to include NFC at least.

• Reply 118 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I don't think these "advertisements" will go any further than their YouTube channel (you won't see them on the TV). As someone else mentioned, they appear to be made just to appeal to the iHaters.

Apple doesn't need to and shouldn't respond to any of Samsung's trolling efforts, it would just take them down a notch to do so.

That's what I've been thinking as well. I've only seen one of these Samsung attack ads on TV or any other paid placement. Generally, they're not very well made and seem aimed at a very narrow audience. Putting this crap out right after Apple's event is like introducing feces to maggots, as the various tech sites put out the clickbait.

• Reply 119 of 193
    It's a bad business strategy to bash a competitor, shows weakness on so many levels. Frankly I'm glad that Samsung has taken this course!
  • Reply 120 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Lack of taste and tact aside, I can't see this as anything but a big backfire. It does nothing other than remind people that "Oh yeah, Apple has two larger screened iPhones coming out next week -- let me set up a reminder to preorder on Friday!" Focusing on past quotes from Apple does nothing to help sway consumers to go with the Galaxy Note 4 instead.

This kind of juvenile "We were first!" rant might be a brief salve on Samsung's bruised ego. But, this kind of self-absorbed myopia is also just flat out bad marketing. Or it's covering up for the fact that the Galaxy Note 4 still doesn't have an actual release date or price, while the iPhone 6+ starts preorders tomorrow, and deliveries a week from tomorrow.