Next-generation Apple Watch rumored to boast more sensors, fitness capabilities

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I refuse to believe this rumor. It’s like saying the iPhone 7 (10th iPhone) will have better hardware and more software features than the iPhone 6. NONSENSE!

Wouldn't it be the 11th? Excluding all the regional variants of CDMA/GSM/etc. I see it as:

1. iPhone
    2. iPhone 3G
    3. iPhone 3GS
    4. iPhone 4
    5. iPhone 4S
    6. iPhone 5
    7. iPhone 5C
    8. iPhone 5S
    9. iPhone 6
    10. iPhone 6 Plus
    11. iPhone 7 (or 6S or whatever)

You could argue that the 6 and 6 Plus are similar gen hardware (processor, etc.) but there are distinguishing features like the screen size, battery life and OIS.
  • Reply 22 of 82
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You should do more research before making silly comments.

From yesterday:

So, now he slept on it and thought about the Apple Watch differently.

Silly comments? His response was sarcastic anyway, so obviously he didn't change his mind about anything. 

• Reply 23 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Silly comments? His response was sarcastic anyway, so obviously he didn't change his mind about anything. 

Why do you believe I was sarcastic? I'm totally serious. It's a great product for Apple to sell, although I have no use for it.

• Reply 24 of 82
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Never buy first gen.

Agreed, first gen is one large bump away from immense satisfaction. Fourth gen seems to be when the product becomes fleshed out with gooy-hot-fudge goodness, but you gotta jump in somewhere....
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Never buy first gen.

Let me guess: you're waiting for Broadwell, a snap-in keyboard and pen input.

• Reply 26 of 82
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Never buy first gen.

Agreed, first gen is one large bump away from immense satisfaction. Fourth gen seems to be when the product becomes fleshed out with gooy-hot-fudge goodness, but you gotta jump in somewhere....

Nope. 1st gen Apple is glorious. Not the case with the Apple Watch, but that's because the concept is fundamentally flawed. I see it as the Newton v. 2.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Wait!! Are we going to circulate rumors about the second generation of a product with the first generation still months from release?!

• Reply 28 of 82
    nasserae wrote: »
    Wait!! Are we going to circulate rumors about the second generation of a product with the first generation still months from release?!

Yes.

You can stop waiting now.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    'Next version' ?!!??!! Make it stop............... And by the way anyone with a form
    Of existing would expect this. I don't what to say AI. I really do not.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

1. iPhone

2. iPhone 3G

3. iPhone 3GS

4. iPhone 4

5. iPhone 4S

6. iPhone 5

6. iPhone 5C

7. iPhone 5S

8. iPhone 6

8. iPhone 6 Plus

9. iPhone 6S

10. iPhone 7

Not a generation.

• Reply 31 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You read way too much into things. I've never seen sarcasm dealt that way.

• Reply 32 of 82
    rogifan wrote: »
    If you never buy something because the next gen is going to be better then you'll never buy anything ever. At the keynote Tim Cook indicated there was stuff they didn't show off. My guess is there's stuff that wasn't ready to show or that Apple purposely wants to save for launch, to keep an element of surprise. Since the product isn't available yet Apple can pick and choose what they want to show off without anyone discovering other things. Still blows my mind how much of this they were able to keep secret, especially the WatchOS and WatchSDK.

Spot on. Of course there will be improvements in future versions but that just means you get the opportunity to upgrade a few years down the road (or sooner if you have the cash). For a 1st Gen product this seems to have a lot of features with even more not yet announced. I've been wanting a Smart Watch/ Fitness Tracker for a while now but have held off because nothing on the market so far would adequately meet my needs. The AppleWatch In comparison to what's already on the market seems mor like a 3rd or 4th Gen device.

Also agree that they did a great job of keeping this a secret. Especially based on the number of demo devices they had at the keynote that would have required components being sourced from 3rd party suppliers.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Never buy first gen.

*Unless you want to be seen as a cool cutting edge early adopter.

**Or you want to have bragging rights for having the first iteration of what promises to become an iconic product.

***Or you want to sell it years later as a valuable collectors item. My 512ke Fat Mac lists on Ebay...

****Or you plan on selling your first gen on ebay or Craig's list to buy a second gen. Apple products usually have great resale value.

Otherwise ... never!

;)
  • Reply 34 of 82
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

And it will hopefully be thinner too ... way too bulky as it is now.

• Reply 35 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Never buy first gen.

Never buy any gen.

Always wait for the next one right around the corner. It will be better than the one that proceeded it.

• Reply 36 of 82

One thing Apple didn't allude to that would have made real news is to claim Apple Watch "can save your life!" I don't think they can make that claim with Gen-1 but to geezers like me that would be the most compelling reason to buy one. I imagine "First Alert" type free apps with monthly subscriptions will appear on Day One but imagine Apple is a couple of Gens away from producing life saving sensor of a medical grade. 

For the time being I believe the Apple Watch was principally designed to shield users from the unwieldy and cumbersome form factor of the iPhone 6/6 Plus. 

• Reply 37 of 82
    One thing I noticed during the presentation, an inconsistency.
    The new iPhones were demoed to be able to acknowledge a payment only through the use of Touch ID. The new apple watch was also shown to be able to be waved in front of an NFC device for payment. So my thought is that the watch contains NFC, but why and how is there an inconsistency in the need to authenticate with your finger print via Touch ID?
  • Reply 38 of 82
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    eriamjh wrote: »

It always seems like there's a bigger transition to the second generation that sets a course that is more sustained. They learn so much from the first to improve the second generation.

And I freakin' want the new Apple Watch, dammit! No money left after ordering the iPhone 6 Plus, though.

I got on the iPhone at rev 2 and it's worse than rev 1 because the 3GS was far better an improvement. As was the 4S over the 4 and the 5S over the 5.

The iPad 2 was meh since 3 was retina. IPad 4 was meh because the Air so much lighter. At least it is lightning. The iPad 6 might be the exception to the rule since it'll have Touch ID and hopefully NFC. Here I went 1-4-? Probably 7 and a 3 year cycle.

Unless you have Herculean willpower as a tech nerd and can wait till rev 3, based on the track record it is far better to be on the odd revs than even so you might as well hop on rev 1. Rev 2 was more refined than rev 1 for both iPad and iPhone but it appears that rev 3 is where Apple stepped it up to the next plateau.
  • Reply 39 of 82
    mac_128 wrote: »
    And it will hopefully be thinner too ... way too bulky as it is now.

Here's my prediction: When the second generation comes out, and it's thinner, with the same battery life, the same people who are saying this now will be screaming: "Form over function!", and "Apple needs to give up its obsession with thinness!"

It's 11mm thick—right in the range of all its competition. Super-thin watches are a niche market of a niche market.
  • Reply 40 of 82

Once the watch advances to the point of not needing the iPhone to make it function it might be interesting to have, but until then I'll just use my non-distracting analogue watch which tells me the time.  I think the watch will eventually be banned from use while driving (just like Google Glass will) as it will be distracting to have messages flashing on your wrist while trying to drive, then looking down and struggling with the digital crown while you drive head on into a semi-truck.