Rumor: Apple to launch 12-inch MacBook Air in 2015 with iPhone-inspired colors

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2014
A sketchy rumor on Thursday claims Apple's rumored 12-inch MacBook Air will debut in the middle of 2015, to be available in gold, space gray and silver colors identical to those offered with the iPhone.

Citing a person familiar with Apple's product pipeline, blog A Tech Website claims the company will launch a new 12-inch MacBook Air in a range of colors, adding gold and Space Gray to the current "raw" aluminum MacBook offerings.

The source goes on to say that Apple is aiming for a tentative mid-2015 launch, but cautions that the release timeline has already been pushed back multiple times.

Apple has long been rumored to launch a 12-inch thin-and-light, with noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo saying in April that the product is on track for a 2014 debut. Subsequent reports out of East Asia pushed back an anticipated launch date into 2015, citing supply constraints of Intel's latest Broadwell class processors.

If Apple were to deliver the supposed device in a variety of colors, it would be an unprecedented departure from all current and past aluminum MacBook models. The company has moved its iPhone product line to a three-color palette, and is rumored to do the same with iPad, which would leave a colorized MacBook noticeably at odds with Apple's laptop aesthetic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 168
    All of this sounds completely reasonable to me. I would say the gold model would sell very well in China but after seeing the popularity of the gold iPhone last year I will say the [I]haute[/I] crowd everywhere will be interested.
  • Reply 2 of 168

Days are gone when Mac and Mac OS X were humble, minimalist and modest in design. 

I don't think these new thin font and transparent frosty window on Mac will grow on me like how iOS 7 did.  Mac OS X is much different from iOS. 

• Reply 3 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Days are gone when Mac and Mac OS X were humble, minimalist and modest in design. 

I don't think these new thin font and transparent frosty window on Mac will grow on me like how iOS 7 did.  Mac OS X is much different from iOS. 

What? Yosemite is the most minimalist OSX yet. And what does "humble" mean?

• Reply 4 of 168

Instead of space grey, why not the delicious glossy black of the Mac Pro?

Oh, save that for the MacBook Pro, perhaps. Remember the very first rumors of colored anodized aluminum? We expected that for the… first unibody, I think it was?

• Reply 5 of 168

I'm going to put my guess down:  If there is a super slim 12" Retina-MBA in post June-2015, I'm going to say that it will be running an A8X, not an intel chip.

• Reply 6 of 168
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Bring on the awesome 5c color palette for Macs!!!

[SIZE=1](Yeah. That was sarcasm)[/SIZE]
  • Reply 8 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

(Yeah. That was sarcasm)

Actually, I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe not all the colors, but a revamped polycarbonate lower end macbook. 

• Reply 9 of 168
    slurpy wrote: »
    Actually, I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe not all the colors, but a revamped polycarbonate lower end macbook. 

I concur.
  • Reply 10 of 168
    Hot Pink ... yeah, my wife would love one. She takes her 11" Air everywhere!!
  • Reply 11 of 168
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I think it should come in colors that reflect its name:

Transparent, Cloudy, Misty, Lightning, Dusk, Smog, Industrial Tragedy, etc….

and yes, this is my way of saying…meh

• Reply 12 of 168

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

(Yeah. That was sarcasm)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I concur.

I'll fourth that. And GTR, you need to recant your sarcasm. It is a great idea.

• Reply 13 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Please add a space after the "e" in your user name

• Reply 14 of 168
    I'd love them to bring back black.
  • Reply 15 of 168
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I'll fourth that. And GTR, you need to recant your sarcasm. It is a great idea.

I'll bleed in six colours before I recant!

Alternatively, black, white, silver, champagne, and these*:

*Wood panelling as an additional option.

• Reply 16 of 168
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Alternatively, black, white, silver, champagne, and these*:

Introducing the Flower Power MacBook Air.

• Reply 17 of 168
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Please add a space after the "e" in your user name

Please just block me if you don't care for my comments - be best for both of us.

• Reply 18 of 168
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Alternatively, black, white, silver, champagne, and these*:</span>

Introducing the Flower Power MacBook Air.

We had a Seinfeld quote earlier, which makes me think of "Morning Mist™".

ETA: I would Love a Product RED one, though. I'm a sucker for red metallic—you should see my kitchen.
  • Reply 19 of 168
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    A gold MBA or MBP (shudder). The definition of tacky. Space gray sound nice, though.
  • Reply 20 of 168
    Rumor : 2017 Macbook Pro Retina will have better processor ....