Samsung back on Apple-bashing bandwagon with new 'It Doesn't Take a Genius' ads

Comments

• Reply 141 of 193
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Appleinsider loved the "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" bashing of Microsoft.

Could you people maybe educate yourselves before repeatedly posting this garbage, please? Thanks.

• Reply 142 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Samsung Mega @ 6.3" I believe. They'll go bigger, don't worry.

I agree with others that Apple should just add cellular calling capability to the iPad Mini and cut them off at the pass.

The weird thing is: Samsung has perfected the "anti-iPhone" which is not so much driven by any coherent vision or desire to make a dent in the universe as it is a calculated attempt to win over anyone who might be dissatisfied with the iPhone for whatever reason. In other words, they do whatever Apple is not doing.

So wouldn't it be an ironic twist if Samsung's market surveys showed a significant number of unhappy iPhone users who wished for a 4" iPhone 6, and Samsung marketed a "premium" 4-inch phone just to them? I don't seriously think that's going to happen because Samsung seems to think small = cheap(er), but if it did, it would indicate that Samsung really doesn't have any vision or ideas, and is merely pursing a reactionary "anti-iPhone" strategy.

• Reply 143 of 193
    So wouldn't it be an ironic twist if Samsung's market surveys showed a significant number of unhappy iPhone users who wished for a 4" iPhone 6, and Samsung marketed a "premium" 4-inch phone just to them?

LOL
  • Reply 144 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Could you people maybe educate yourselves before repeatedly posting this garbage, please? Thanks.

What's good for the goose isn't apparently good for the gander.

• Reply 145 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

The "I'm a Mac" ads were original (not mimicry), clever, and reflected widely held public sentiment that was felt about the massively dominant marketshare and profitability leader who seemed very little concerned about addressing their current customer's concerns, most notably around the Vista release, legacy of BSOD, security issues, and bland mediocre products that filled the PC marketplace at the time. Apple also made it very clear in their original (not copycat) ads that they were offering a "better" solution than what the WIntel near monopoly offered. The dynamic between Apple and the infantile company from South Korea is entirely different. It's pathetic that the Korean Kopycat has extended its cloning hysteria to include copying Apple commercials. Is there anything they will not copy? What's next, their own "spaceship" campus? 

In reality the witty (not contrived) "I'm a Mac" ads had very little to do with Apple's explosive growth. Desktop Mac marketshare has only increased modestly. The iPod, iPhone, iPad, and iTunes were the rocket fuel that propelled Apple way above the dark cloud. So if the Clonasaurus Rex is truly going to "make it work" like it did for Apple then they must bring something totally new and unique to market that catches Apple and all other current competitors completely off-guard. The ball's in their court so lets see what they can do. Time for the Dumbfounded Duplicator to walk the talk.

I'm not talking about originality.  I'm talking about mockery.  Mockery isn't acceptable.  Apple had fun mocking Microsoft.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, and people here get offended.

You might have found Microsoft to be less-than-competent.  But they weren't nearly as arrogant as Apple.  Now Samsung is giving Apple a taste of its own medicine, and I love it. :)  Call it karma.  Jobs' karma is coming back against his legacy.

• Reply 146 of 193
    frugality wrote: »

Somebody always comes up with this comparison between these insulting Samsung ads and the "I'm a Mac" ads. If you think you're a wit, you're half right.

There is no resemblance whatsoever between the two. The "I'm a Mac" ads humorously pointed out some shortcomings in Windows, all of which were completely true. They never even mentioned Microsoft by name (Hell, they never mentioned Windows by name), much less imply that PC users were idiots or "sheep" for buying PCs. This is exactly what these Samsung ads do. ("The headphone Jack's on the bottom!" [Head explodes])
  • Reply 147 of 193

• Reply 148 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not as bad as you think. Most folks were at work and not watching the keynote anyway. And most folks don't troll around on sites like this, Gizmodo etc. In general folks get their info from main stream sources and those sources were too busy with the 5 dozen articles about every detail of what Apple announced to be bothered to mention the feed screw up

So it's only the Apple fans who got screwed then by the Keynote!

Well, after the Metal game part the Keynote stream was very smooth and had no hiccups even on my 8Mbps line.

• Reply 149 of 193

The weird thing is: Samsung has perfected the "anti-iPhone" which is not so much driven by any coherent vision or desire to make a dent in the universe as it is a calculated attempt to win over anyone who might be dissatisfied with the iPhone for whatever reason. In other words, they do whatever Apple is not doing.

Automobile Classifieds

Free Post Classifieds?

• Reply 150 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jbytes wrote: »
    I'm glad someone finally said that.  I have never clicked on these attack adverts.  Not from this despicable company, not from Microsoft!  They probably get more attention on Apple fan sites than on Android ones.  I can't tell Appleinsider how to run their site, but I'd be a much happier visitor if I never saw another post mentioning these adverts again.

errr .... Safari / Extensions / AdBlock ....
  • Reply 151 of 193
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The weird thing is: Samsung has perfected the "anti-iPhone" which is not so much driven by any coherent vision or desire to make a dent in the universe as it is a calculated attempt to win over anyone who might be dissatisfied with the iPhone for whatever reason. In other words, they do whatever Apple is not doing.

So wouldn't it be an ironic twist if Samsung's market surveys showed a significant number of unhappy iPhone users who wished for a 4" iPhone 6, and Samsung marketed a "premium" 4-inch phone just to them? I don't seriously think that's going to happen because Samsung seems to think small = cheap(er), but if it did, it would indicate that Samsung really doesn't have any vision or ideas, and is merely pursing a reactionary "anti-iPhone" strategy.

I obviously wouldn't buy a Scamsung but I take your point albeit in jest. I for one was hoping for an iPhone 6s in new the line up (as in same size as 5 and 5s with A8 etc.). I love the size as is and I like the flat edge design more, the 6 is almost the same as my iPhone (1 ... the first model) only larger and thinner. But I have a 5s to look forward to when i get my wife a 6 as i always just use her cast offs then place my last one on my 'collection' shelf. Maybe next year the ?Watch ][ will have a Dick Tracy phone ability - that I'd like (it would appeal to my inner James Bond) :)
  • Reply 152 of 193
    Wait. So they make fun of watches, then show their own watch?
  • Reply 153 of 193
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I watched all 6 ads. I thought they were excellent ads.

Really?  You would actually use the word "excellent" to describe them?  I only watched the watch ad, but the guy on the right could not act his way out of a paper bag.  If you think having one of the 2 actors in a commercial being barely competent makes for an "excellent" ad, then I suppose we just have different definitions of excellence.  Peace.

• Reply 154 of 193
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

I love it.

Appleinsider loved the "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" bashing of Microsoft.  They can dish it out but they can't take it.

The difference that I see is that ad series was between the two platforms and not a denigration of the consumers who picked to buy one line or the other.

Samsung attacks the consumer, their intelligence, their maturity, that their too old etc., people who they allegedly would like to convince to buy their products? Insulting the potential customer is a peculiar direction to take it seems to me. 

• Reply 155 of 193
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coxnvox View Post

Really?  You would actually use the word "excellent" to describe them? ...

It's often referred to as an "opinion".

• Reply 156 of 193
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Really?  Explain the watch ad for me.  How does that help Samsung sell their watches?  And the one about the screen size pretty much just tells anyone living under a rock that one of Samsung's perceived advantages just disappeared.

Or maybe you just forgot the \s?

Samsungs new watch has a built in 3G unit, as in doesn't require a phone to operate, not rocket science here. Wasn't a very good ad, I did enjoy the others though.

• Reply 157 of 193
    coxnvox wrote: »
    Really?  You would actually use the word "excellent" to describe them?  I only watched the watch ad, but the guy on the right could not act his way out of a paper bag.  If you think having one of the 2 actors in a commercial being barely competent makes for an "excellent" ad, then I suppose we just have different definitions of excellence.  Peace.

Yes. I watched all 6 back to back, which is something I don't typically do with new Apple ads that comes out in groups. I was entertained. I laughed, and despite all the complaints here these are very much like the Mac v. PC ads, especially the one where the guy keeps freezing up, in they aren't directly attacking Apple customers, but rather Apple's choices which is new ground for Samsung.
  • Reply 158 of 193
    relic wrote: »
    Samsungs new watch <span style="line-height:1.4em;">has a built in 3G unit, as in doesn't require a phone to operate, not rocket science here. Wasn't a very good ad, I did enjoy the others though.</span>

I think we're at least another 10 years away from a smartwatch being able to have cellular HW without taking up much room for it and the requisite battery capacity.
  • Reply 159 of 193
    solipsismx wrote: »
    relic wrote: »
    Samsungs new watch <span style="line-height:1.4em;">has a built in 3G unit, as in doesn't require a phone to operate, not rocket science here. Wasn't a very good ad, I did enjoy the others though.</span>

I think we're at least another 10 years away from a smartwatch being able to have cellular HW without taking up much room for it and the requisite battery capacity.

Really? The sports watches with GPS in them that I have seen have battery life of 4-8 hours. I would presume that polling the satellite takes much more out of your battery life than searching for a new cell tower as a cell tower has a reach of as much as 1.5 kilometre and GPS polling can be set by the user, I believe maximum is every 3 seconds.

All a bit speculative on my part as I don't know if cellular polling requires more energy but the frequency of polling is much more often with GPS than cellular.

Gees, I hope I'm making sense here. Nice topic; feedback is welcomed by me (just understand that this is probably my last post for today and I don't even know if I have time tomorrow, so may not respond until Sunday).
  • Reply 160 of 193
    cpsro wrote: »
    slurpy wrote: »

What I find infinitely more trashier than these ads is digging up old quotes from the dead Steve Jobs (who obviously hasn't been making any decisions at Apple for almost 5 years) for their official twitter marketing campaign. I mean, can you get any more classless and cheap?
    I hate to think how the 5.5" model will look in a suit pocket and would buy a 4" iPhone 6 instead if it had NFC and OIS. It seems moderately questionable that the 4" size did not receive an update to include NFC at least.

Agreed. I'm thinking of getting the 5s.

Glad to see you could pull yourself away from your 1TB collection of videos…