Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus now available for preorder [ux2]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple and its partner wireless carriers on Friday initiated preorders for the latest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets, though the purchase process was a harrowing experience for customers who saw persistent issues with the Online Apple Store.

Cellular providers were first to have Apple's new iPhones up for order on their respective websites just after midnight Pacific time, but the Online Apple Store saw massive delays, likely due to overwhelming demand.

At the time of this writing, the Web version of Apple's store is still down for many customers in the U.S., though some have reported luck purchasing through the iOS app. The solution is not foolproof, however, as many users are seeing error messages seemingly indicative of syncing issues with wireless providers' sales and upgrade eligibility systems.

Noticeably absent from the initial preorder round was T-Mobile, the only U.S. carrier to offer off-contract handsets at launch. All other carriers were showing full availability with arrival dates of Sept. 19.

On-contract pricing for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 starts at $199 for 16GB, then moves to $299 for the 64GB version and maxes out at $399 for 128GB. The iPhone 6 Plus is also available in 16GB, 64GB and 128GB capacities for $299, $399 and $499, respectively. When available, the contract-free T-Mobile version will start at $749 for the iPhone 6 and $849 for the iPhone 6 Plus, moving up in $100 increments depending on storage.

Apple is launching the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus in nine countries, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, U.S. and the UK. Alternatively, customers can purchase the iPhone at Apple Stores on Sept. 19.

Those looking to trade in their old hardware to offset the cost of a new handset can visit AppleInsider's Trade-In Price Guide for the latest deals.

Update: Due to server communication issues with certain cellular providers like AT&T, Apple has resorted to reserving iPhone 6 handsets for later processing.

In addition, those able to get through via the iOS App Store app are reporting iPhone 6 Plus stock outs for launch day units.

Update 2: The Online Apple Store returned to service at around 2:45 a.m. Pacific, nearly three hours after partner carriers began accepting preorders. The store is reflecting low supply of iPhone 6 Plus units, with most 16GB models shipping in 7 to 10 days, while 64GB and 128GB versions are showing 3 to 4 weeks ship-by dates. iPhone 6 stock appears to be holding steady at this time.

Also available are off-contract iPhone 6 and 6 Plus handsets from T-Mobile, which were previously absent from the Apple Store app when preorders went live at midnight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 166

I got my order in using the store App.

Confirmation email reads "Delivers: 9/19 by Standard Shipping".

• Reply 2 of 166
    Still down for me.
  • Reply 3 of 166
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Pre-ordered an iPhone 6+ 128GB. 3-4 weeks for dispatch to the UK. :( 

Looks like availability for the regular iPhone 6 is much better though.

• Reply 4 of 166

Why is T-Mobile not listed as an option for Carriers when ordering?

• Reply 5 of 166
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It's really tempting to preorder but I want to see how big the Plus is in person first. But they are both amazing looking phones.

• Reply 6 of 166
    The app worked for me. After many attempts.
  • Reply 7 of 166
    Managed to add one to my cart. But got error when trying to check out.
  • Reply 8 of 166

I just put my order through the Verizon website and it was a piece of cake. I wanted the iPhone 6 in gold and 64 GB, and I was done ordering in about 2 minutes. My suggestion is that if you are having trouble on the Apple website, consider trying the carrier website instead. 

• Reply 9 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Still down for me.

The store site is getting hammered.  Use the app and keep trying.

• Reply 10 of 166
    By Sunday, we should get the usual concern trolls telling us based on the speed of slipping availability dates and a big dose of bullshit inference that demand must be lower than for the iPhone 5. Just you wait. Happens every year.
  • Reply 11 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

The store site is getting hammered.  Use the app and keep trying.

I found, for whatever reason, that the iOS app worked on my phone, but not on my iPad.  Never got through on my iPad, but I eventually got one and a half from my phone!

• Reply 12 of 166
    The iOS app worked for me. I tried to get a Space Gray 64GB Plus showed unavailable. So I got the silver.
  • Reply 13 of 166
    The app insisted that all models are currently unavailable. The desktop store is still down. I finally got through on AT&T's site to put an order in, problem is that the confirmation screen didn't include an est shipping date and I've still waiting for my conf email (luckily I saved the screen as a pdf).

This is a train wreck every year. Now I have to live with the stress of not knowing if I was screwed or not. However if this is the worst thing going on in my life right now, it's a good day lol.
  • Reply 14 of 166

I also was able to use my iPad app.  I kept on getting an error message I as was trying to complete my order.  Finally I closed the app and relaunched it.  When I did there were 9 iPhone 6's in my cart.  I deleted 8 and completed my order quickly.  I have an order number and will pick it up at my local store next Friday.  Yah!

• Reply 15 of 166
    Apple's servers have failed twice this week. You'd think after the debacle on Tuesday they'd have made better preperations for today...
  • Reply 16 of 166

Pre-ordered 2 x iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb as soon as the store went live in HK. 128Gb and 64Gb became unavailable almost immediately. Seems like the Plus is selling much better then the standard iPhone 6.

• Reply 17 of 166
    No, the store is not getting hammered. They forgot to bring it back online. T-mo users are getting screwed out of ordering since T-mo is not an option in the apple store app on IOS devices.

Thanks for using the same network guys from the keynote stream for this launch Mr. Cook. Hope the U2 concert is good.
  • Reply 18 of 166

I ordered mine promptly at around 3:15am for in store pickup. I purchased the iPhone 6+ 64GB in Silver. Basically Apple found a way to reward loyal customers by first letting them order first. By tomorrow everyone else will order. Apple supposedly made 80million phones... So I hope they are able to satiate the demand. 

• Reply 19 of 166

It seems like one of the biggest problems is the need for cross-chatter with carrier systems.  I ordered a new phone on the AT&T website, but haven't received a confirmation email in the last hours since placing the order.  Frustrated, I went to the Apple Store app and tried to place an order.  After persevering there, I got to the point where I chose to replace my current phone.  On several attempts it said the phone I wanted was unavailable.  I then went to the Apple Store "Check Eligibility" page.  I deleted and then reinserted my information and tried to order a phone, hoping it would tell me I was ineligible to at least be proxy confirmation of my ATT website purchase.  It seemed to get locked up in processing, but I eventually received a page within the app detailing how I had a phone reserved for me.  When I went back purely to the eligibility page I received the following message.

• Reply 20 of 166

Was able to order the +/64/grey/att using iPad app after an hour.  Then tried to order a 6/16/grey/att but it kept timing out when trying to verify with att.  Finally was able to oder it on ATT site.  Jeesh!  

Never could get to the AppleStore via the web...