Next-generation Apple Watch rumored to boast more sensors, fitness capabilities

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Once the watch advances to the point of not needing the iPhone to make it function it might be interesting to have, but until then I'll just use my non-distracting analogue watch which tells me the time.  I think the watch will eventually be banned from use while driving (just like Google Glass will) as it will be distracting to have messages flashing on your wrist while trying to drive, then looking down and struggling with the digital crown while you drive head on into a semi-truck.

Its infinitely less distracting then looking down at your phone. Or should phones also be banned from cars?

• Reply 42 of 82
    nasserae wrote: »
    Wait!! Are we going to circulate rumors about the second generation of a product with the first generation still months from release?!

Apple may have sandbagged the announcement of the Apple Watch, so that what was announced is less than what will be shipped... catching Samsung short ... the Korean version they ship in the meantime will be DOA. When Apple finally ships the watch I expect to see a raft of doctors on stage with along with a some other professions ... in the interval between this week and the release date, the developer kit for the Watch will get a workout, so it will be AppleWatch 1.0, but a whole new level of real and apparent features.

i.e. AppleWatch detects heart irregularities while you are shopping, alerts you while calling 911. Siri gives you suggestions of what to do while waiting for the EMTs and streams your vital signs to the nearest hospital along with an ETA of your arrival. Meanwhile the AI in your iPhone gathers information on your project assignments from your laptop and iPad, collates the info and then confers with the AI in all of your project team members iDevices, then brings in IBM's Big Data via the appropriate apps and comes up with a plan to spread your work out over the team members using some new ideas gleaned from IBM's datebase, while formulating a new plan that meets the deadline while you are "offline".

You wake up in the ICU unit a week later with your boss standing beside you with your bonus check for a job well done.

And THAT, my friends is how your AppleWatch saves your butt, saves your project, saves your job, and brings home the bacon, circa 2015.
  • Reply 43 of 82

First gen:

Second gen:

Third gen:

Fourth gen:

Fifth gen:

• Reply 44 of 82
    slurpy wrote: »

Once the watch advances to the point of not needing the iPhone to make it function it might be interesting to have, but until then I'll just use my non-distracting analogue watch which tells me the time.  I think the watch will eventually be banned from use while driving (just like Google Glass will) as it will be distracting to have messages flashing on your wrist while trying to drive, then looking down and struggling with the digital crown while you drive head on into a semi-truck.

Its infinitely less distracting then looking down at your phone. Or should phones also be banned from cars?

Why should iPhones be banned from cars when they are plugged into the dash keeping you up-to-date on the traffic ahead and advising you of the road conditions... or have you forgot all about the iAuto???
  • Reply 45 of 82
    When will samsung copy the crown feature of the apple watch?
  • Reply 46 of 82

Completely off-topic, but: Does anybody make driver's watches any more? You know, with the much more concave back that fit on the side of your wrist so you don't have to twist your arm off the steering wheel to glance down and see the time?
  • Reply 47 of 82

you're technically not supposed to be interacting with the phone (other than voice using siri) while driving - no texting, playing with buttons, etc..  at least the phone is usually down on the dash out of sight.  But the watch will be flashing on the wrist in your line of sight while driving (assuming the hands are on the wheel).  I love all this tech, but maybe we don't need it constantly.  The iPhone is there doing a better job than the watch at this point.  Once it's completely independent from the iPhone then it's attractive as I could leave the phone at home when out doing activities, but for now....

• Reply 48 of 82

For the price of the garmin, you're getting remarkably little. My experience with my own garmin heart rate monitor(which I use nearly every day) is that they not only do not give a damn about their software or UI, but the pairing process between the HR strap is ridiculously flawed.

Indeed I just unscrewed the back of my wristband to put in yet another new cell battery and the waterproofing (read:sweat) seal has kicked the bucket on a purchase that is just over a year old.

Garmin is expensive junk, and they're one of the better fitness wearables.

• Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

Don't even buy 8th gen, I heard a rumor from the far east (thats my AI talk) that the next iPhone will actually have more features than the iPhone 6

It's been 2 days, and still no ?Watch Air.

What's wrong with Apple?

• Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pharmkid02 View Post

When will samsung copy the crown feature of the apple watch?

But they didn't copy the crown from the apple watch. They'll spread photoshopped LOL@APPLE photos showing watches from the 19th Century with crowns and claim they got the idea from "prior art". But we all know how Samsung solves its "crisis in design": by being a "leader in following trends."

Are you starting to see how Samsung and their forum lackeys operate?

• Reply 51 of 82
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Good Move!

It is not about the watch. The watch is actually a gimmick.

Here are a few suggestions I have for Apple's "second generation watch":

1. The interface needs to be redesigned from the ground up: Photos, doodles and facebook have no place on your wrist. The bubbly homescreen is a nightmare as well.

2. Keep the display discrete. Remember, your wrist is always in your view. You don't want to be distracted by butterflies or Mickey Mouse.

3. Replace the digital crown with the proven concept of the iPod clickwheel. Applying the clickwheel concept on top of the screen will make the watch friendly for left and right handed use.

4. Change the name. Call it anything but watch. It is creating the wrong expectations. No one is buying a watch to wear on their wrist. They use their iPhone.

5. To me ? watch is a next generation iPod nano that works in synch with the iPhone through Continuity. The iPod already is a strong brand. This is a great opportunity to make the iPod relevant again.

In short:

1. ? watch has a lot of potential but it is creating the wrong expectations.

2. Its design concepts are clever yet fragmented. Its design, interface and (naming) strategy needs a rethink.

3. It is never too late for a U turn.

4. Do not kill off the iPod just yet. It could be the next generation personal assistant of the iPhone ...

• Reply 52 of 82
    The short display of watch OS software was a demo for developers.
    Those lenses on the back don't mean much to most of us but will suggest numerous applications to those that understand medical imaging.
    Why would anyone want to send their heartbeat to someone else ? This is huge ! For doctors, carers, parents, police, firefighters, sportspeople the list goes on and on.

And the graphics they demoed were the stock graphics options they are making available. It was like Steve showing the original split screen API on the IPad, everyone thinks why would I want to split a screen ? You won't , it's for the developers to use.

I am looking forward to the real keynote prior to the Applewatch shipping with its ecosystem of apps demonstrated by their respective developers. It will be like a party, with suprises and innovations not even imagined by us.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    amoradala wrote: »
    The short display of watch OS software was a demo for developers.
    Those lenses on the back don't mean much to most of us but will suggest numerous applications to those that understand medical imaging.
    Why would anyone want to send their heartbeat to someone else ? This is huge ! For doctors, carers, parents, police, firefighters, sportspeople the list goes on and on.

And the graphics they demoed were the stock graphics options they are making available. It was like Steve showing the original split screen API on the IPad, everyone thinks why would I want to split a screen ? You won't , it's for the developers to use.

I am looking forward to the real keynote prior to the Applewatch shipping with its ecosystem of apps demonstrated by their respective developers. It will be like a party, with suprises and innovations not even imagined by us.

I guess they can register your heartbeat (kind of like feeling your pulse) without rising to the level of a "medical device". Anything much more diagnostic than that, though, the FDA keeps on a pretty short leash. To get approval for anything like a real EKG or blood pressure or glucose, to name a few, they have a lot of hurdles to jump with the Feds.

I think it would be smarter (and maybe necessary) to leave this kind of thing to third parties who already have a presence in that field. And a lot of these functions would work better in the strap, anyway. Most of them undoubtedly would get a better reading riding over the veins on the inside of your wrist than the back, Certainly the Holy Grail—blood glucose—would, although nobody has a sensor like that that works right now, maybe they will eventually.

Third-party manufacturers could who have experience with that could handle the FDA certification and make various straps that would slide right in to the slots on an ?Watch. They would have to have their own batteries of course—Apparently there's no way to get juice in or out of the unit except inductively? Maybe that's all to the good though.

It's possible to imagine hundreds of health and sport and exercise and navigation aids that could be built into straps. You buy what you want or need, and they'll fit on your new ?Watch next year, too.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ^^
    I actually like some of the touches people are calling gimmicks. Gives the watch personality. I can see those things being a selling point for young people. Android Wear seems much colder and more utilitarian whereas Apple Watch allows for more personal expression.
  • Reply 55 of 82
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It's possible to imagine hundreds of health and sport and exercise and navigation aids that could be built into straps. You buy what you want or need, and they'll fit on your new ?Watch next year, too.

Ooh I like this idea. I've got to believe Apple will allow 3rd party straps for the watch. I could see that being huge business and another reason to chose ?Watch over the competition.
  • Reply 56 of 82

I have a question. Is the watch seen in the picture is the exact design and form of iWatch to be released next year?

• Reply 57 of 82

I edited this post because I can't seem to find the delete post option. I happened to enter my message twice.

• Reply 58 of 82
    I have been using fitness related devices and apps for a while now. My initial enthusiasm is going down for one major reason: I do not get enough intelligence out of the vast amount of data I collect. So the success of the fitness features and ultimately the Apple Watch, at least in its Sport version, will depend on the analysis delivered to the user. This is where I am now very interested to see which kind of solutions are offered by app developers to address this topic.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The first gen won't be here for maybe six months... let's first wait for that.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    It will sell better in the USA; reason more obese people, fat watch matches fat people