Rumor: Apple could launch new 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display this fall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Now that's news worth following; not that butt-**** ugly AppleWatch.

Best comment all day. Serious, finally some Mac news.

• Reply 22 of 104
    First, I believe Apple is working on adding retina displays across the product lines. Macs will still support non-retina external monitors, which are still common. The 27-inch iMac might be a 4K or 5K panels, we will have to wait and see.

Where I think DigiTimes is wrong is on the details. They hear a rumor and embellish. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, sort of like a coin toss.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    iMacs usually come out in October, yes?
  • Reply 24 of 104
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Worry not; now that SJ is gone, "clumsy" is the new black for Apple.

Time for you to settle down.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    melgross wrote: »
    I read that it may actually be a true 4K monitor, which makes more sense. Unless there's a newer Displayport standard beyond the present 1.2, it can't handle more than 4096. We would need to use two ports for this, which is clumsy, and not what Apple would normally do.

The Dell 5K monitor requires dual DisplayPort links.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, sort of like a coin toss.

Actually, I believe that studies have shown that they are wrong the majority of the time, and every once in a while, they are correct. So they are more wrong than right.

• Reply 27 of 104
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    A 4k or above iMac is a nice to have. A 4k Thunderbolt Display is a long overdue must have. But if Apple is going down this route anyway why not make the same screen available on both. This is the obvious next increment in display technology.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I told you why! :p  Full size 4K video plus UI on the same screen.

Well, boys, that tears it. 2048x1536 panels at 9.7” don’t exist. I guess Apple can’t make a retina iPad! ;)  

That's not a good reason. The monitor is too wide, too many pixels. I don't know of anyone who would put screen elements on the sides of the video. I've done a lot of commercial video editing over the years. I would rather go to another, smaller monitor for that purpose.

Don't use the iPad as an example, it has nothing to do with this. And this is just a rumor, nothing more. Don't try to protect Apple on something they may not even be producing.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Hopefully this rumor turns into reality. This is what I've been waiting for to upgrade my iMac. 

I'm going to assume you're joking. Because this monitor, assuming Apple did make one, would need far more GPU power than we'll see in an iMac.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    If video editing, definitely the right choice.

I hope you don't mean this nonexistent 5K monitor.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't use the iPad as an example, it has nothing to do with this.

Sure does. It proves that Apple couldn’t care less what panels are available when they want to make a product. They’ll make whatever they want.

The 17” PowerBook, then. Or the retina MacBook Pro. The 30” Cinema Display. Whatever you like; when they set their mind on a panel they’ll get it.

• Reply 32 of 104
    ajmas wrote: »
    Before even considering whether this could be true, I would be curious to know what the current yield is for screens with those specs?

As I pointed out earlier, there are no screens with these hi Rez specs. The only monitor announced with these specs is a Dell, and it needs two screens.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880
  • Reply 33 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    melgross wrote: »
    I hope you don't mean this nonexistent 5K monitor.

Not sure how you got there ...? I was replying to this post which is pretty specific.

"Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

I am not interested, i want a Mac Pro machine.
    … Then i will save for a 4K."
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Makes sense. 5120x2880 iMac, here we come.

I have a dream.... an iMac with that resolution, a GPU fully capable of driving it, and an 8 core i7. 

The first two parts of my dream will almost certainly come true by the end of 2015 (hopefully sooner). The last part might never come true (sigh... poor me). 

• Reply 35 of 104
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    blastdoor wrote: »
    I have a dream.... an iMac with that resolution, a GPU fully capable of driving it, and an 8 core i7. 

The first two parts of my dream will almost certainly come true by the end of 2015 (hopefully sooner). The last part might never come true (sigh... poor me). 

Why not get a new Mac Pro?
  • Reply 36 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Now we’re talk’n!

• Reply 37 of 104

If I'm spending money to get a 4K display, I'm definitely not going to get an all-in-one. I would rather spend that money on a fantastic monitor and a separate computer (mac mini or pro) which can be upgraded over time. I just can't see upgrading a 4K display for a looooong time.

• Reply 38 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm going to assume you're joking. Because this monitor, assuming Apple did make one, would need far more GPU power than we'll see in an iMac.

I'm not joking. I want a higher resolution monitor. It doesn't necessarily need to be 5k though. 

• Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why does that make sense? Heck, 16:9 doesn’t make sense. A resolution above 4K allows for the UI to be shown on the same screen as a full size video. Great boon for editing.

That would make sense. Up until recently you could not see realtime filters applied so rendering and watching on a separate TV was the way it was done. With realtime filters and effects it would definitely be nice to see the full resolution on the editing screen, especially in After Effects or when doing color and luminance adjustments.

• Reply 40 of 104
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

This might be the 1st iMac to make me consider switching from my Mac Pro which is getting a bit old. With a new Mac Pro or a new iMac I will have the same issue with both in terms of migrating my four hard drives. Are there any reasonably priced but decent quality external enclosures to house my four Mac Pro drives out there anyone could recommend?