'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 198
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple only has to have their site ready to handle a billion users at once a few times a year and they don't even get that right. *shakes head*

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Apple can handle it, if the cell companies can not.

When you order a Verizon phone from Apple, Apple has to communicate with Verizon, isn't that how it works?

• Reply 22 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why apologise?. People need to learn some patience. There is a capacity to any system. Try again later, stupid spoiled self-entitled people with first world problems. It's a mobile phone, not medicine or your next meal.

Get a grip.

When did we lose the civilised art of waiting our turn?

Well said, but you can't expect less evolved instant gratification folks to actually learn humility and patience  can you?

• Reply 23 of 198

Now, that is a FAIL!

• Reply 24 of 198

This is why I wait about a month or so.  And before you blame Apple for this, remember that there are a lot of back end connections here to the carriers that may have been overwhelmed and died.  So it may not have been Apple's systems that crashed so much as the carriers systems.  As to the streaming..  I challenge any company to host a streamed event that is hit by that many people at once trying to watch it.  I don't think people realize just how extraordinary this launch is and will be.

Personally, I expected this and will be waiting until maybe October or November before I upgrade my device.  I will still get iOS 8 next week so my 5s will be just fine until I am ready to get my 6+.

As to the trolls that are bagging on Apple...  Same drivel different day.

• Reply 25 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Apple can handle it, if the cell companies can not.

When you order a Verizon phone from Apple, Apple has to communicate with Verizon, isn't that how it works?

AH!

Should be obvious, now i get it,

• Reply 26 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

it was Scumshit doing a DOS attack 

I kind of felt that way about the stream.  The last two or three events have been streamed with no issues at all. Then there is a failure but only on the website.  The stream worked perfectly on Apple TVs.  Maybe They should have everyone to sign in via their Apple ID to see the stream. 

• Reply 27 of 198

Hey - in the past, I don't believe Apple charged me until the phone was shipped.  I just looked and my card has been charged.  Normal?

I guess it certainly means I'm getting mine 9/19, though.

• Reply 28 of 198
    There is a saying that people quote all the time "life goes by so fast". There is a misunderstanding with this point of view that I don't buy into - an incorrect awareness. Life in fact has no speed at all, it is always there. Also "Time" is simply a human concept. It doesn't exist, except as an idea in our heads. The problem isn't life, no the problem is me! I'm the one that is going too fast. If I can just slow down and stop, then I can actually appreciate life and then it will become rich and time won't appear to go by so fast it may even stop! This is called in some circles as the "Divine Now" it goes by many names like "Samedi" in Buddhism . All those people searching to get away from it all are longing for this and probably not really finding it. It doesn't really matter if one attempts to escape to Australia, Italy, France, to the country , drugs, alcohol, or sex, bdsm or any other place or substance - we can't escape ourselves. Lusting after the latest iPhone won't make us any happier. Deep down we simply re-create the drama where ever we go . I can distract my self from myself by filling my day with, projects, making money, family, tweaking smartphones and belittling others and their choice of phone but that does nothing, the simple fact is that we are all terrified of looking at one thing! And that thing is ourselves!
  • Reply 29 of 198
    apple ][ wrote: »
    And no other company on the planet has these kind of preorders.

Millions and millions of orders all coming in at once is just maybe too much to handle.

But why can Apple's system serve up high res graphics to everyone trying to order? So megabytes of flashy website graphics is no problem but once it comes to exchanging a handful of bytes to order, the system breaks down?
  • Reply 30 of 198
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

For the iPhone 7, Apple is probably going to have to create a lottery system to reserve a chance to buy the thing, which means it'll sell out before even going on sale.  Last night was frustrating, but I can't criticize Apple.  Demand is insanely high on a global level, and it's probably just going to get worse as Apple makes inroads in places like China.  I can't imagine any company keeping up with that demand, especially in the first hour - or even the first ten minutes.

• Reply 31 of 198
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Apple would save themselves a lot of unnecessary pain if they'd simply roll out the pre-orders at midnight, local time, for each country that they are releasing in.

I really don't understand why they don't do this, it'd fix their problems in one easy step.

• Reply 32 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore2112 View Post

But why can Apple's system serve up high res graphics to everyone trying to order? So megabytes of flashy website graphics is no problem but once it comes to exchanging a handful of bytes to order, the system breaks down?

Because the orders have to connect to the carriers systems to validate the older phone being upgraded, they have to check that the customers current phone is past its 2 year anniversary and eligible for upgrade. So its not as simple as sending back flashy website graphics. most orders are for replacing an older phone the market is pretty much saturated in the USA 

• Reply 33 of 198

I expect sales may go down because of this!     Right?

/* At least a little.  */

• Reply 34 of 198
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple is supposed to be the best technology company on the planet, yet they have never gotten LiveStreams right and they have never gotten preorders right. I'm being kind by not listing all the other things they've never gotten right!

I know eh? What a useless company. Maybe someday Apple will get something right. Amazing they're still in business, eh? 

/s

Seriously, your line of "never gotten livestreams right" is bullshit. The past few years streams have been generally fine, except this time. In terms of pre-orders, point me to another company on the planet that successfully processes millions of online pre-orders within minutes? Oh wait, noone else on the planet gets those kinds of numbers so its an impossible comparison to make. 

• Reply 35 of 198
    statcoder wrote: »
    Wasn't it sometime earlier this year that Tim Cook reportedly told his staff that the percentage of iPhones sold via the Apple Stores was too low? Well, last night didn't help. I couldn't get my order in the Apple Store like I usually do so I went with the AT&T site.

I think Tim meant the Apple Retail Stores.
  • Reply 36 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Between this and the live video stream screw up someone needs to be shown the door. Apple knew demand for these phones would be unprecedented. No excuse for people having such a difficult time ordering. Maybe take the $100M you spent giving people an album they didn't want and put it towards improving your web services. Or maybe Tim needs to hire an expert in this field to oversee Apple's cloud and web services.

you applying for the job?

• Reply 37 of 198
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    It'll be very interesting to see the breakdown of what models are in highest demand.
    I'm picking the 6 + to be top seller, anybody else ?
  • Reply 38 of 198
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

Boo hoo.  "I woke up in the middle of the night to order and I couldn't! Then they were sold out!"   Cry my a freaking river.  Everyone knows that not even Apple can handle the insane demand of pre-orders.  Wait a month or two, you babies.  

• Reply 39 of 198
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Apple is supposed to be the best technology company on the planet, yet they have never gotten LiveStreams right and they have never gotten preorders right. I'm being kind by not listing all the other things they've never gotten right!

You are forgetting the terabytes of Notifications, iMessage, Email, iCloud, iTunes and FaceTime content that flows through Apple's data center infrastructure each day with nary a burp. But I don't expect you know what that is, given that Android devices like yours can't use any of that. :)
  • Reply 40 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

It'll be very interesting to see the breakdown of what models are in highest demand.

I'm picking the 6 + to be top seller, anybody else ?

Breakdown?