AT&T to support Wi-Fi calling for Apple's iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus in 2015

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
While T-Mobile will be the only U.S. carrier to support Wi-Fi calling on Apple's new iPhone 6 series handsets at launch, it will not remain alone for long as market leader AT&T announced that it will roll out the technology on its own network next year.

"We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage," AT&T wireless chief Ralph de la Vega said Friday when asked why the carrier was lagging behind competitors, according to CNET. "Other operators with less coverage may pursue it more aggressively."

De la Vega cited concerns about the reliability of call handoff between Wi-Fi and GSM networks. It is more seamless when handing off to LTE, but AT&T's Voice over LTE rollout has not yet been completed.

At a Wednesday press conference, T-Mobile CEO John Legere -- in his now-trademark style -- offered only a single reason for his company's support. "Why not do it?" he said.

Apple added support for Wi-Fi calling, which reroutes voice calls over Wi-Fi data networks, in iOS 8. T-Mobile announced support for the feature in June of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58

“Next year”, meaning December 31, 2015.

• Reply 2 of 58
    Call me a skeptic, but doesn't this make the premium carriers no different than Republic Wireless? If calls are going to be offloaded to wifi or (eventually) automatically on an AT&T wifi location, how secure is the phone call from being intercepted over a public wifi network? There will need to be some sort of encryption of the call audio, with traffic priority on the network to ensure call quality. (prioritized traffic/QoS.. sound the NN crowd to complain that tier 1 voice carriers get priority over NetFlix)

Then take into the equation that AT&T's wifi typically only has 500K upload max, and less than 1mb downlink, and high latency for carrier provided hotspots, mostly at McDonalds.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Cool. Can't wait to get rid of the crappy M-Cell box AT&T made me buy that never worked.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    "We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage," AT&T wireless chief Ralph de la Vega said.

WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    "We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage," AT&T wireless chief Ralph de la Vega said Friday when asked why the carrier was lagging behind competitors, <a href="http://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-plans-to-offer-wi-fi-calling-in-2015/">according to</a> <em>CNET</em>. "Other operators with less coverage may pursue it more aggressively."

What a cocky arrogant prick. I have ZERO reception not only in my office but within at least a dozen yards outside of my office, but we do have a strong Wifi network.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    Att has lousy internet access in my area. Their u-verse is slow. Charter may not be great, but it get 24mbps for less than 12mbps from Att. I'd have to pay $30 more/month to Att to get the same service I get on charter.

Att is just light years behind delivering internet service, so you would have to expect they could not handle cell to wifi handoff.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    "We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage,"

You're welcome to come spend a week at my house and try to use your phone for business calls without using my microcell.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

Good but not deal breaker as it helps AT&T to off-load some of voice calls load to public network that is funded by public. It is just a bullet bashing against other carriers that says "Me too". I like to see VoLTE support that gives better call/audio quality like HD VOICE offered on T-Mobile and others. I also would appreciate AT&T get rid off data overage charge and allow customer with reduce speed like T-Mobile when your allotment is used up.

• Reply 9 of 58

So sad. Been calling with Skype, and other wifi/VoIP apps for years. The US finally comes into the 21st century.

• Reply 10 of 58

How is AT&T still in business?

• Reply 11 of 58
    What a ridiculously arrogant statement for the CEO of a wireless company that is notorious for its spotty coverage to make. Fire this guy, AT&T Board'
  • Reply 12 of 58

another concern would be: are carriers going to be creating a "carrier access billing" style system to pay back the amount of calls that are made from the WiFi carrier's network, as compensation to the business, OR a data usage waiver for the amount a carrier uses for voice calls on the business' network. The business should either get compensation or not penalized for traffic data for tier 1 phone company carriers. 

This is now being done with VoIP utilization fees, billed in between carriers as a PVU percentage fee every month. Will that money be seen by the businesses that are hosting free calls for phone carriers? Doubtful. 

• Reply 13 of 58

As long as AT&T gets this feature ASAP. They should've done it by now to alleviate their network issues. 

• Reply 14 of 58
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Cool. Can't wait to get rid of the crappy M-Cell box AT&T made me buy that never worked.

I had crappy cell coverage at my house and AT&T gave me a Microcell at no charge. It works great. I now have flawless cell coverage at home.

• Reply 15 of 58
    My reception in a town with 200000 people sucks with att and i use the M-cell thing which drops a call if i walk out of range.

The need wifi calling, at least over your OWN wifi secure router.
  • Reply 16 of 58

Consistent with past behavior, wanna bet that they are one of the LAST carriers to actually support this iPhone technology?

• Reply 17 of 58
    "We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage," AT&T wireless chief Ralph de la Vega said...

Really? Well, I ordered a Verizon iPhone 6 today because my AT&T service is so pathetic. AT&T's coverage map swears I should be getting excellent signal strength, but neither I nor others with AT&T get usable signal strength.

Now here's hoping Verizon comes around and supports wi-fi calling soon.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

So sad. Been calling with Skype, and other wifi/VoIP apps for years. The US finally comes into the 21st century.

What an ignorant remark.   We've been using Skype and other VoIP apps for years in the US as well.  That is not what this is about.  

Interesting that only ONE other network supports this out of the box now, which is EE in the UK.

• Reply 19 of 58
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

The US finally comes into the 21st century.

You’re welcome for inventing the system by which you can whine about how bad we are, by the way.

• Reply 20 of 58

AT&T will S-L-O-W-L-Y implement WiFi calling because once it becomes common place theres no need to buy unlimited text and talk plans. Causing loss of revenue and all the lies they tell you to get people to buy the crap. 30.00 for data and 70.00 for text and talk? LMAO

I get 400 minutes, text and data  and my roll over minutes are at around 4000. I don't think I'll run out of talk time. LOL

When they start using Wifi calling I will drop my plan even lower.