ok you win.  forgot about the 3GS

Next years line up:

6S Plus

6S

6C - iPhone6 in Plastic

5SC

5C - in limited markets

That's a kickazz lineup

I wouldn't bet against you.  It will be something like that.  And the good thing will be that they are all now 64bit and touchID (except the 5C in limited markets).  A big plus in terms of a baseline standard being set.  You'll still have older devices in the market still that are not, but it will be the beginning of the end for non 64bit and non touchID based phones.  This makes developers more likely to take advantage of these.

• Reply 142 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

ok you win.  forgot about the 3GS

Next years line up:

6S Plus

6S

6C - iPhone6 in Plastic

5SC

5C - in limited markets

That's a kickazz lineup

There's a possibility that Apple will make a plastic 6 for the mid-tier. I think Apple has learned that by putting plastic in the middle of the line-up the top tier isn't cannibalized as heavily.

I don't think they will put a plastic phone at the bottom, though. I think the 5S will drop to the bottom, giving people a premium metal 4" phone at the bottom of the lineup.

The 5C might become a bogo in certain areas.

• Reply 143 of 166
    chadbag wrote: »

You are forgetting the AT&T value plan discount of $25 or $15 per phone per month that you can get when doing the AT&T Next

Normally you pay $40 per iPhone on a mobile share plan, per month (or $30 when 10GB data plan or more).  There may be other permutations for large amounts of data plan less than 10GB.  Anyway, if you get the value share plan or whatever they call it, and buy the phone outright or use the AT&T Next plan to make monthly payments, those numbers drop to $25/month or $15/month if you have 10GB or more data plan.  So you save $15/month per phone = $180.

So with a contract, and the $199 price, you pay 24 x $40 (assuming smaller data plan) = $960 plus $199

With ATT next you pay  24 x $25 = $600 plus about $649 but you have no contract and can quit at any time (with just paying the rest of the phone purchase price).

That is about $90 more with ATT next over the 24 month life of a contract

If you have a larger data plan (10GB or bigger I believe) then the math is a little different

24 x $15 = $360 plus about $649 total payments for the phone = $1009 which is about $150 LESS than the contract price total but you are paying the 10GB price for data which is higher (but you get the data too)
    That may all be true but the fact that you get to keep your phone at the end of the 24 month term is a big determining factor. I'm getting an iPhone 6 but I don't have to give up my iPhone 5 (in good to great working condition, I might add). I could sell to gazelle for $300 some dollars or sell it on eBay or sell it on craigslist. So that's up front net benefit. If a person doesn't plan to upgrade the device every year I don't see why one wouldn't save up (because you know pretty much when the iPhones are coming) to pay off the subsidized price and keep YOUR device at the end of the term.
  • Reply 144 of 166
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

That may all be true but the fact that you get to keep your phone at the end of the 24 month term is a big determining factor. I'm getting an iPhone 6 but I don't have to give up my iPhone 5 (in good to great working condition, I might add). I could sell to gazelle for $300 some dollars or sell it on eBay or sell it on craigslist. So that's up front net benefit. If a person doesn't plan to upgrade the device every year I don't see why one wouldn't save up (because you know pretty much when the iPhones are coming) to pay off the subsidized price and keep YOUR device at the end of the term.

As long as you don't do the Next trade in at 12 or 18 months (depending on plan you are on), you get to keep the phone with AT&T Next as well at the end of your 20 or 24 months of payments...  So if you have a large data plan and get the $15/month plan you save money with NeXT and still keep the phone at the end.

• Reply 145 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

You can pay ~$27 a month for 12 months ($324) and upgrade to the eventual 6s/6s+ at the end of that 12 month term (they have 18 month terms too) while turning in the 6 or you can pay the $199 up front and wait two years to be able to again upgrade at the $199 subsidized price at the end of that 24 month term (if subsidies are even around at that point anymore) while getting to keep your 6 and resell/gift. I believe your bills net out to be about the same a month.

So with ATT next:

Pay ~$324 over 12 months plus ~$70/month for your bill.

Give the iPhone 6 back and upgrade to the iPhone 6s after 12 months and then pay ~$324 over the next 12 months plus your ~$70/month for your bill.

$70/month for 24 months + $324/term for two 12 month terms = $2,328

---

With a standard two year plan

Pay $199 up front that covers the two years of the contract (while your monthly bills subsidize the rest) + ~$70/month for 24 months and keep your iPhone 6 at the end of the term.

$70/month for 24 months + $199 upfront and keep your phone at the end = $1,879

All that is if the Next monthly plan isn't in fact cheaper. Can anyone validate if I got that right?

Thank you, kindly. Appreciated. On Apple.com it says (with the $199 version):

AT&T Next 12 AT&T Next 18 2-year contract
    Initial iPhone cost $0 (Sales tax due at sale) $0 (Sales tax due at sale) $199 (Sales tax due at sale)
    Activation fee $0 $0 $40
    Monthly installments 20 payments of $32.45 24 payments of $27.05 $0
    Monthly Mobile ShareValue Savings Save $15-$25 per month Save $15-$25 per month $0
    Eligible for upgrade** After 12 payments After 18 payments After 24 payments

EDIT: My math was wrong with previous submit (2:20PM PST)::

By my math if a person opts out when eligible:

• AT&T Next 12 = $389.40 after 12 payments + I get an employee discount for my plan at $58/month = $1085.40 (or $1781.40 to compare to a 2-year contract)

• AT&T Next 18 = $486.90 after 18 payments + $58/month plan for me = $1182.90 (or $1878.9 for 2 years to compare to a 2-year contract)

• 2-year contract = $199 for the phone + $58/month for me = $1392 ($1591 with the $199 phone charge)

Basically, for me it might be best to go with a 2-year plan unless I want to upgrade yearly... thanks again for helping me with this and getting me to do the math. Sesame Street = Cooperation.

• Reply 146 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Thank you, kindly. Appreciated.

Read my correction, as it shows the one piece missing from the info given which makes the AT&T Next *maybe* a better deal, depending on your needs, plans, etc.

• Reply 147 of 166
    Definitely was a stressful process. I couldn't get the web store to load nor the apps on iPhone and iPad. Totally jammed. But eventually it did work on the iPad app. Never could get the iPhone app to advance from 'replace this existing iPhone...' Likely the ATT glitch others experienced. My only downside is I have to pick it up at store on 9/19 bc by the time I got to place my order which 48 minutes into the process, shipping was no longer available for 9-19
  • Reply 148 of 166
    Quote:

Originally Posted by erpx View Post

Definitely was a stressful process. I couldn't get the web store to load nor the apps on iPhone and iPad. Totally jammed. But eventually it did work on the iPad app. Never could get the iPhone app to advance from 'replace this existing iPhone...'

I just kept hitting "replace existing iPhone" until it worked.  Took like 5 minutes of trying...  Something to remember for next time 

• Reply 149 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    rickwil61 wrote: »
    Hey Samsung.  The next big thing is here and this is what it looks like.

Win for the "wall huggers".
  • Reply 150 of 166

Just ordered a plain 6, 128GB, Gold, AT&T as an upgrade to a line in my mobile share plan and it listed 9/19 as delivery estimate.  Ordered this one from AT&T directly in order to take advantage of their special iPhone trade-in promo which should give me a $200 promo card I can use to pay for my AT&T bill for my old iPhone 4...

128GB phones seem to still be available for 9/19 delivery in many colors and on all carriers.  Some carriers had some colors at 9/19 delivery, some at 7-10 day ship according to Apple Store.

• Reply 151 of 166
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

the market loves it.

Yeah, that’s the opposite of what we’ve been seeing.

• Reply 152 of 166
    hill60 wrote: »
    Win for the "wall huggers".
    I'd rather hug the wall than use a Samesung product.
  • Reply 153 of 166
    Thank you, kindly. Appreciated. On Apple.com it says (with the $199 version):
    No problem. Glad I and [@]chadbag[/@] could help.
    chadbag wrote: »
    As long as you don't do the Next trade in at 12 or 18 months (depending on plan you are on), you get to keep the phone with AT&T Next as well at the end of your 20 or 24 months of payments...  So if you have a large data plan and get the $15/month plan you save money with NeXT and still keep the phone at the end.
    I guess it works out in the end, then, but I still have my doubts. I'm sure it'll become the new normal plan in a couple of years.
  • Reply 154 of 166
    wizard69 wrote: »
    6+ Sold out. Will now ship in 14 to 21 business days.
    I thought the 6 would have sold out more quickly than the 6+.
    I hope Apple made enough 6+ units.

Don't forget to order cases.  They will sell out quickly on Friday.

Don't worry, when people realize that this phone is just too damn big they will become available used for cheap! I don't see the 6+ sustaining its selling price and volume for long.

I think people want the battery life.
  • Reply 155 of 166
    sog35 wrote: »
    Tallest Ski - So did Apple make the right decision making the iPhone6 Plus?

The fact is, if Apple could have incorporated all of the advances of the Plus into a 4" iPhone, they would have. But they couldn't; hence the Plus.

Most people who buy the Plus will be buying it despite the size, not because of it.
  • Reply 156 of 166
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Our preorders started at 5:01 pm (12:01 am Cupertino time), it's now 7 and still can't get through online or over the phone.

It looks like this is going to be massive...

...again.

I'm going for $A88 a month for unlimited calls and text, 5GB of data, 300 minutes International calls and a 128GB iPhone 6.

Vodafone Australia.
    Seems that all the carriers had trouble on Friday night. I spent an hour from 17:01 on the Telstra site trying to order, and I've heard reports that Optus had similar problems. (And Apple, for that matter.)

Unfortunately, I have no idea when my phone ships. It probably said something on the screen (it certainly does now if you try to preorder one), but in my relief at finally getting a stable enough connection and getting through, I must have missed it.

On Sunday, I was in the Canberra Apple Store (possibly the least busy Apple Store in the world) someone had left up a screen showing in store pickup availability for the 19th, which seemed to show everything except the Space Grey 16GB and 128GB were out. On the other hand, trying to order from Telstra or Apple seems to show everything except Space Grey is still available for day of release.

For what it's worth, 128 Space Grey 4.7" I was considering 64, but on the plan I was choosing there was only a A$3 difference per month.
  • Reply 157 of 166
    anome wrote: »
    Seems that all the carriers had trouble on Friday night. I spent an hour from 17:01 on the Telstra site trying to order, and I've heard reports that Optus had similar problems. (And Apple, for that matter.)

Unfortunately, I have no idea when my phone ships. It probably said something on the screen (it certainly does now if you try to preorder one), but in my relief at finally getting a stable enough connection and getting through, I must have missed it.

On Sunday, I was in the Canberra Apple Store (possibly the least busy Apple Store in the world) someone had left up a screen showing in store pickup availability for the 19th, which seemed to show everything except the Space Grey 16GB and 128GB were out. On the other hand, trying to order from Telstra or Apple seems to show everything except Space Grey is still available for day of release.

For what it's worth, 128 Space Grey 4.7" I was considering 64, but on the plan I was choosing there was only a A$3 difference per month.
    These installment plans for the phones are making it a lot easier for people to decide to do just as you did and pick the largest space option possible because the difference per month is so negligible. Makes Apple's ASP go way up.
  • Reply 158 of 166
    These installment plans for the phones are making it a lot easier for people to decide to do just as you did and pick the largest space option possible because the difference per month is so negligible. Makes Apple's ASP go way up.
    Even so A$72 upfront wouldn't have caused me much concern, either. For other people it might have been.

In Australia, we tend not to have upfront handset costs these days- you either buy it outright or pay it off monthly over the period of the contract (24 months in this case). My iPhone 5 was being paid back at something around A$20-25 a month, with a credit (incentive bonus or some such) of A$9-12 (I'm not sure exactly, my last bill is a little messed up because it's the end of the contract).

On my new plan, the 64GB would have been free, and A$3 a month for the extra 64GB of space seemed reasonable enough. (Reasonable is not a word often used in conjunction with Telstra's plans.)
  • Reply 159 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

It came today, while I was at work selling iPhones.

128GB Silver it's restoring the backup from my 5s, as I type this.

The plus is just too big, this one is at the limit of what I'd consider, it still feels a bit unwieldy, like my Galaxy S4.

• Reply 160 of 166
    Well, after less than a day using it, I find the 6 to be slightly too big still, and the new placement of the lock button is hard to get used to.