'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand

Comments

• Reply 61 of 198
    Apple should be ashamed of how they handled it last night. This wasn't about the crush. There was something not ready when the launch was supposed to take place. Trust me, I spoke with four people between 2:58 Eastern and 3:30 Eastern that told me they had not been released to sell. The website was never up until sometime closer to 4:30 or 5 a.m. I stayed on hold from 3:35 to 3:50 and thankfully I woke back up when someone had answered the call. So with all that grief the best I could do on a 6 plus was Oct. 1. Yeah - we should not want it so bad. But this is the game, and we play it. But Apple did a good job of disappointing some of their most dedicated fans.
  • Reply 62 of 198

I ordered two Iphone 6 through AT&T, around 11:45PM PST. No trouble :)

• Reply 63 of 198
    Apple's temporary reservation numbers are a complete joke! I got one of the reservation numbers thinking ok apple will take care of this and I will get my phone when they email me. They reserved a 16GB iPhone 6 in silver for me, not the 128GB 6plus in space gray that I wanted. Apparently everyone who got a reservation has an "iPhone6" waiting for them that probably none of them want as they are still easily ordered for immediate availability without a reservation number. This never would have happened under Jobs' tenure.
  • Reply 64 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And no other company on the planet has these kind of preorders.

Millions and millions of orders all coming in at once is just maybe too much to handle.

Still, they can improve the web site, I think.

Maybe the web site should have a parking lot feature so that people who come late will have a place in line, instead of getting an error. Once the peak passes, they can shut down the parking lot.

• Reply 65 of 198
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

I think the issue with this stream was that they weren't at the Moscone Center where they've held the previous recent events and refined the broadcast capabilities.  As soon as I saw they were doing this from the Flint Center, I had a feeling the stream would go up in smoke.  Once Apple Campus 2 is done and they have their own special event center, they won't have an excuse for proper piping.  But for now, this last stream, I'd put on the event location's capabilities.

Probably right.  While trying to watch on the office Apple TV it kept resetting to a "broadcast truck" or something "truck" screen, so they had some sort of mobile broadcast truck uploading (to satellite?) .  I finally gave up and went to read the Ars Technica liveblog and also brought up the video in the browser, which worked better (though occasionally had to be refreshed).

• Reply 66 of 198
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

"Seriously, your line of "never gotten livestreams right" is bullshit. The past few years streams have been generally fine, except this time. "

I personally STILL cannot see the $*(*#$% live stream on Apple.com.  I can't see it on any of the three browsers I use on my Macbook Pro.

Can other people see the stream?

• Reply 67 of 198
    From CNN to Huffington Post I am seeing a lot of nay-saying about Apple's debut of new lackluster products and some comments about Apple's "creepy" new CEO. Some of it downright rehashed lies of the iPhone 5c being a "failure". As when the iPad first debuted, no one really new what to do with it. No one knows what to do with this Apple Watch either. My wife doesn't give a flip about Apple or the it's stock price, but she does want an Apple Watch. Apple's high flying status continues to amaze, much to the chagrin of many.
  • Reply 68 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

"Seriously, your line of "never gotten livestreams right" is bullshit. The past few years streams have been generally fine, except this time. "

I personally STILL cannot see the $*(*#$% live stream on Apple.com.  I can't see it on any of the three browsers I use on my Macbook Pro.

Can other people see the stream?

I had no trouble yesterday afternoon looking at the keynote for a short while in the browser

• Reply 69 of 198
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    jj.yuan wrote: »

Maybe the web site should have a parking lot feature so that people who come late will have a place in line, instead of getting an error. Once the peak passes, they can shut down the parking lot.

Not a bad idea - but it introduces a new concept.
    Queuing on the net ! :)
  • Reply 70 of 198

I personally STILL cannot see the $*(*#$% live stream on Apple.com.

Well… yeah. It’s not live anymore. I can’t imagine you’d be able to.

• Reply 71 of 198
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

"Well… yeah. It’s not live anymore. I can’t imagine you’d be able to."

Sorry, I mean the keynote.

Link on Apple.com indicates "view the keynote"

Maybe it's a problem with my browsers? Or plug in issue then.

Thanks.

• Reply 72 of 198

Huh what Huh?

• Reply 73 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Breakdown is a standard term for breaking out details of a total.

... and Apple does this?

• Reply 74 of 198

"Well… yeah. It’s not live anymore. I can’t imagine you’d be able to."

Link on Apple.com indicates "view the keynote"

Viewing it in the browser or viewing it in iTunes? 480, 720, and 1080 are up in the Apple Keynotes podcast.

• Reply 75 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

... and Apple does this?

Nobody made that claim...

But analysts and others try to divine this from carrier "most popular" reports etc.

• Reply 76 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Breakdown = analysis

We're going to start trusting the analysts now?

• Reply 77 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Apple has th best server hardware that money can buy, many other companies like scamdung, lg, and google have the same hardware, but do not have the same type of demand that apple has to deal with. In my opinion the solution to this is obvious, apple creates several clones of their website such as https://001.apple.com.iphone https://002.apple.com.iphone https://003.apple.com.iphone and so on and to forth, when you go to https://www.apple.com/iphone it redirects you to https://001.apple.com.iphone or another clone of this site with each clone of the site hosted on a different network to avoid clogging of the system.

• Reply 78 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Nobody made that claim...

But analysts and others try to divine this from carrier "most popular" reports etc.

Which have been very inaccurate in the past.

For instance... the most popular model could be the iP6 with the iP6+ 2nd according to Cannacord's analysis. It tells us nothing. The 6 could have sold 45 million units in a quarter and the 6+ could have sold 12 million.

... and I never said anyone made that claim.

• Reply 79 of 198

I remember ordering my Quadra 800 and having to wait weeks for it. In fact, I can't remember a product launch from Apple that did not have supply issues. All it does is create the "Cabbage Patch Kids" hysteria. Tickle me Elmo. It doesn't hurt Apple. It only makes people thirst for the product more.

• Reply 80 of 198

A few years ago, I used to be one of the crybabies. I still am in some cases when something doesn't work and it is time-sensitive. I'm looking forward to iOS8 on my iPhone 5 and have every intention of upgrading my phone sometime in 1Q15. Somewhere along the way, it doesn't bother me any longer to wait until the supply/demand issues naturally resolve, and I can casually stroll into my store and make my purchase at my leisure. In the meanwhile, enjoy your new phones as they come in.