'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand

Comments

• Reply 101 of 198
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Splitting hairs?

I want to know by how much or the number is useless. The 6 could sell 50,000 more units than the 6+... when we're talking 30 milllion units each.

Slow day on the island today ?

:)
  • Reply 102 of 198
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Really???? 

Christmas is the first that comes to mind. And ready set go? How is the Apple event larger than any retail day? It's not. And if you can't handle an Apple event, you can't handle a normal retail day, let alone a holiday. 

I suspect that the iPhone pre order launch is an order of magnitude bigger than even any one single Black Friday event online.  Especially with the tie-ins to each carrier that have to happen to verify your data.

• Reply 103 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

I suspect that the iPhone pre order launch is an order of magnitude bigger than even any one single Black Friday event online.  Especially with the tie-ins to each carrier that have to happen to verify your data.

LMAO!!!! 

You can't be serious? Apple launch bigger than the biggest retail day of the year? Wow! 

• Reply 104 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The live stream not after the fact.

Please read who I was replying to.  I was explicitly replying to someone who said he STILL had problems looking at the keynote.  I know what the original gripe was.  My reply was to a specific person who was NOT talking about the live stream.

• Reply 105 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Because the orders have to connect to the carriers systems to validate the older phone being upgraded, they have to check that the customers current phone is past its 2 year anniversary and eligible for upgrade. So its not as simple as sending back flashy website graphics. most orders are for replacing an older phone the market is pretty much saturated in the USA

There is also the banking system of your card holder to deal with. That's another handshake need to complete the whole transaction. Normally, a $1 transaction to see if your card is valid and then another transaction for the total amount. People who don't understand commerce should just shut up.

• Reply 106 of 198
    Quote:

LMAO!!!! 

You can't be serious? Apple launch bigger than the biggest retail day of the year? Wow! 

I am the one LMAO.  Did you even read what I said?  I said an order of magnitude bigger than even any one single Black Friday event.  I did not compare it to the complete Black Friday  brick and mortar retail experience (which often does not go that well either).

Please read and comprehend first.

• Reply 107 of 198
    chadbag wrote: »
    Please read who I was replying to.  I was explicitly replying to someone who said he STILL had problems looking at the keynote.  I know what the original gripe was.  My reply was to a specific person who was NOT talking about the live stream.

Apologies, you are correct.
  • Reply 108 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apologies, you are correct.

Not an issue! 

• Reply 109 of 198
    Quote:

I am the one LMAO.  Did you even read what I said?  I said an order of magnitude bigger than even any one single Black Friday event.  I did not compare it to the complete Black Friday  brick and mortar retail experience (which often does not go that well either).

Please read and comprehend first.

Then what is your point? Apple pre-order is bigger than a Best Buy event? Ok, so what? Apple is not using Apple Pay for ONE event, so your point is moot. 

You think an Apple event is bigger than an Amazon Black Friday sale? I think not! 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/26/5245008/amazon-sees-prime-spike-in-2013-holiday-season ;

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/12/02/comscore-black-friday-online-sales-hit-1-2-billion-with-amazon-the-top-retailer/ ;

• Reply 110 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Apple would save themselves a lot of unnecessary pain if they'd simply roll out the pre-orders at midnight, local time, for each country that they are releasing in.

I really don't understand why they don't do this, it'd fix their problems in one easy step.

Your not the only person living in your time zone. There is still millions of people in each time zone wanting the iPhone too. You would need to spread it out more than a hour increment.

• Reply 111 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Apple can handle it, if the cell companies can not.

When you order a Verizon phone from Apple, Apple has to communicate with Verizon, isn't that how it works?

Yes that is how it works. AT&T was having trouble but store.apple.com wasn't even available for 2 hours.

• Reply 112 of 198
    Quote:

Then what is your point? Apple pre-order is bigger than a Best Buy event? Ok, so what? Apple is not using Apple Pay for ONE event, so your point is moot. 

Apple is not using Apple Pay for the iPhone pre orders either.   So I haven't  clue what you are trying to say.

Apple is running a single event.  They don't have to be bigger than the totality of Black Friday or any holiday, since that is not a single effort by a single company.   I am trying to compare apples to apples (small "a") in a fair comparison.   You seem to think that Apple should be able to handle a single event greater than the totality of holiday shopping.

If you are trying to cast doubt on Apple Pay and Apple trying to handle payment across multiple retailers on a single retail day, you could have mentioned this in your posts, which said nothing about Apple Pay.   And trying to make comparisons between Apple Pay and the iPhone preorder launch is faulty, as the needs of each event are greatly different.   Authorizing a single transaction is very low overhead, compared to someone interactively ordering a phone with tie-ins to each carrier etc.

• Reply 113 of 198
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Your comparing Apple's keynote, watched by a LOT of people in real time, to a speech by Obama, that no one cared about except a few hard core political junkies, and all the bad actors out there who wanted to confirm their opinions?

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a political comment. Replace Obama speech with Superbowl. The point is that, they clearly failed to properly test their infrastructure and failed to have a plan B, such as an audio only stream. If they could not fix the problem in more than an hour and a half then they obviously were holding it wrong.

• Reply 114 of 198
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

So I attempted to load the Apple Store on both my computer and on my iPhone last night (the latter with the Apple Store app).  What I noticed is that the app was up and running and allowed me to make two purchases (for my wife and for myself) for iPhone 6's long before the web-version of the Apple Store would even load.  Might be useful information for next year's launch.

• Reply 115 of 198

Would Apple Pay actually be contacting Apple servers for each transaction? I thought that the iPhones would be pinging the card-issuing bank servers for the tokens (which would then be given to the reader), so Apple wouldn't actually be involved in the transaction (and therefore their store crashing has nothing to do with how well Apple Pay will work)? Please clarify for me if I misunderstood something.  

Quote:

You think an Apple event is bigger than an Amazon Black Friday sale? I think not! 

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/26/5245008/amazon-sees-prime-spike-in-2013-holiday-season ;

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/12/02/comscore-black-friday-online-sales-hit-1-2-billion-with-amazon-the-top-retailer/ ;

• Reply 116 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Quote:

Your comparing Apple's keynote, watched by a LOT of people in real time, to a speech by Obama, that no one cared about except a few hard core political junkies, and all the bad actors out there who wanted to confirm their opinions?

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a political comment. Replace Obama speech with Superbowl. The point is that, they clearly failed to properly test their infrastructure and failed to have a plan B, such as an audio only stream. If they could not fix the problem in more than an hour and a half then they obviously were holding it wrong.

Obama would have to get better to suck!

I think that sums up my feelings about the current administration succinctly.

Yes, that's a political statement.

• Reply 117 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Apple can handle it, if the cell companies can not.

When you order a Verizon phone from Apple, Apple has to communicate with Verizon, isn't that how it works?

Yes that is how it works. AT&T was having trouble but store.apple.com wasn't even available for 2 hours.

For me, the Apple Store came up around 1240am Pacific Time

• Reply 118 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

I suspect that more people tried to watch the live stream than tried to watch streams of the SuperBowl (I am not talking about broadcast or cable or satellite TV, just internet streams).   Something that big is hard to test btw.   They could have done better, of course, since you can always do better.  But I bet the reasons for the issues were ones hard to control (except for the Chinese thing, which is just dumb).

But to put it in perspective, even Obama's teleprompter has had problems in the past, and that is just distribution to one user, and should have been easily tested ;)

• Reply 119 of 198
    Quote:

Really???? 

Christmas is the first that comes to mind. And ready set go? How is the Apple event larger than any retail day? It's not. And if you can't handle an Apple event, you can't handle a normal retail day, let alone a holiday. 

I'm sure the App store and the iTunes store have very high volume, so perhaps it is different people running those, but it should' be :) 

Don't you mean any Apple Pay retail day... or do you think that Apple Pay is going to be used for "every" transaction.

I really doubt there is any day that compares to an Apple preorder day. Electronic transactions are a totally different bag.

• Reply 120 of 198
    It's a phone, not a kidney. Get over it