AT&T to support Wi-Fi calling for Apple's iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus in 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

once it becomes common place theres no need to buy unlimited text and talk plans.

Of course there will be. Data prices would be legally known as extortion in any other industry. People won’t accept it.

• Reply 22 of 58
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Faster View Post

I get 400 minutes, text and data  and my roll over minutes are at around 4000. I don't think I'll run out of talk time. LOL

When they start using Wifi calling I will drop my plan even lower.

AT&T is likely to count wifi calls against your plan minutes, just as they count microcell minutes.

• Reply 23 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

So sad. Been calling with Skype, and other wifi/VoIP apps for years. The US finally comes into the 21st century.

There are a thousand things that a company has to take into account before implementing new technology. It is never as simple as it looks.

• Reply 24 of 58
    This article says it's an iPhone 6 feature, the referenced T-Mobile article says it's an iOS8 feature.

Which is it? I'd really love to have this, but it's a problem if my 5s is already obsolete in that regard.
  • Reply 25 of 58

"We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage,"

LOL!!! Until everyone has LTE there is a burning need for coverage.

• Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Call me a skeptic, but doesn't this make the premium carriers no different than Republic Wireless? If calls are going to be offloaded to wifi or (eventually) automatically on an AT&T wifi location, how secure is the phone call from being intercepted over a public wifi network? There will need to be some sort of encryption of the call audio, with traffic priority on the network to ensure call quality. (prioritized traffic/QoS.. sound the NN crowd to complain that tier 1 voice carriers get priority over NetFlix)

Then take into the equation that AT&T's wifi typically only has 500K upload max, and less than 1mb downlink, and high latency for carrier provided hotspots, mostly at McDonalds.

From T-Mo's website re: WIFI Calling. It's using an encrypted connection so there should be no worry about eavesdropping on your calls.

Quote:

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) technology provides access to GSM and data mobile services over the internet. It uses Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) to connect a mobile handset to a broadband internet connection. Using UMA technology, T-Mobile can enable subscribers to freely move between cellular networks and public and private unlicensed wireless networks (Wi-Fi) using dual-mode mobile handsets. With UMA, you receive a consistent user experience for your mobile voice and data services as you transition between networks.

How UMA works

The first thing a UMA enabled handset does when entering range of a Wi-Fi network is attempt to connect to that network’s Wireless Router (WR) in order to get internet access. Once connected to the internet, the handset sets up a secure tunnel all the way to T-Mobile's network (the Security Gateway). If the subscriber is authenticated and authorized for UMA service, the handset is connected to T-Mobile's network, via the UMA Network Controller or UNC and is ready to provide service to you.

How UMA is different from GSM

The difference between this connection and a standard GSM connection is that the UMA handset does not route calls through our GSM radio towers. Instead the phone creates a virtual GSM connection over the internet. By routing calls over the internet instead of through our towers it helps manage network congestion and capacity related issues.

• Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

There are a thousand things that a company has to take into account before implementing new technology. It is never as simple as it looks.

If they'd been working on it for years like T-Mobile has (rolled out in 2007), then it could just be used right away once Apple adds it in iOS8. Instead, like with many features, they're being practically forced to do it by having to compete with other providers.

• Reply 28 of 58
    Bloody AT&T.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    So sad. Been calling with Skype, and other wifi/VoIP apps for years. The US finally comes into the 21st century.

This is without using a 3rd party app.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    AT&T and Verizion reacted to T-Mobile's HD-Voice launch in 2013 saying they'd have it "shortly" - it finally showed up more than a year later. Verizon apparently has either just launched it, or it is still "almost" there: http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/26/verizon-volte-launch/

So if they're saying 2015 - who knows *when* it'll actually be available.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post

This article says it's an iPhone 6 feature, the referenced T-Mobile article says it's an iOS8 feature.

Which is it? I'd really love to have this, but it's a problem if my 5s is already obsolete in that regard.

The article says T-Mobile will for now be the only carrier that will support this feature on the iPhone 6, when running iOS8. It does not imply that the iPhone 5 or 5s won't support this feature when iOS 8 rolls out. After all, T-Mobile announced this support in June, long before the iPhone 6 was a gleam in your ISP's eye.

• Reply 32 of 58
    They don't have a burning desire to spend money making their network actually work or a need to make their customers happy
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Call me a skeptic, but doesn't this make the premium carriers no different than Republic Wireless? If calls are going to be offloaded to wifi or (eventually) automatically on an AT&T wifi location, how secure is the phone call from being intercepted over a public wifi network? There will need to be some sort of encryption of the call audio, with traffic priority on the network to ensure call quality. (prioritized traffic/QoS.. sound the NN crowd to complain that tier 1 voice carriers get priority over NetFlix)

Then take into the equation that AT&T's wifi typically only has 500K upload max, and less than 1mb downlink, and high latency for carrier provided hotspots, mostly at McDonalds.

No the call starts in Wi-Fi when inside a building with good Wi-Fi service and lousy to nonexistent cell reception. I'm going to benefit as my lab and office are buried in this huge university building with enough equipment and structure that I get zero to small cell reception. But the place has been seeded with great WiFi so they don't have to drag cable to service the computers. So like the repeaters in subways the WiFi base stations will grab the phone calls and pass them on through to the cell service. Neat idea.

• Reply 34 of 58

It's IOS 8, but depending on it, it may be iPhone 5S and up.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "We're already getting your money--LOTS of it--so we really don't see much need to improve our services!"
  • Reply 36 of 58
    That Ralph de la Vega sounds like the poster boy of douchebaggery. He's the kind of guy that gets his face punched in at a cocktail party for a complete moronic dickhead.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post

Which is it? I'd really love to have this, but it's a problem if my 5s is already obsolete in that regard

iOS beta testers report that the 5s works, but only if you have a T-Mobile postpaid account. I don't see any reason why the 4s and above would not also have wi-fi calling when iOS 8 GM comes out next week.

• Reply 38 of 58
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

sweet

• Reply 39 of 58

$%$&*@#% and up your &*^!#$R$$^#$ AT&T!!

(Pardon my French)

• Reply 40 of 58

ATT said the same thing about tethering ... then took more than 3 years to finally "allow" it.