Analyst who cried sapphire takes another swing, despite whiffing on iPhone 6 predictions

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttile08 View Post

It is on some models of the watch.

Yes, one the Apple Watch Edition. Not quite the roll-out I was thinking LOL 

edit: sorry, it's on the base Apple Watch also, just not the sport. 

This is still the king of the hill watch in design: 

Oh boy yes. This wipes the floor with the Apple Watch. I think it was Relic who first brought it to our attention.

It's still much too thick, but at least the design is attractive. The touch interface looks lovely and simple, much more so than the ?Watch. The video is exciting to watch. The mechanical aspects look beautiful. 

• Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'd love to hear from Relic right now. We need a Swissy perspective.

Hope she is doing well.

Me too.

• Reply 63 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

A hybrid watch like that is just silly.  All the bulk of a normal watch PLUS additional thickness to add the electronics?  No thanks.

I agree, but I do think there is a middle ground with the digital overlay of an analog watch face. What I'm referring to is having a general watch in a magnitude of styles that looks like a regular watch, but fitted with that transparent display and appropriate electronics. I think there could be a higher-end market for something like that in the future, but today there is no way the electronics will be there. Perhaps in the future the "computer" part of it can be standardized so that it can be swapped out indefinitely for better ones whilst still keeping a classic watch design in play for generations. I know that's a tall order that will likely never come but it's also not impossible.

The problem with the ?Watch is that for most of the time, it looks like an ugly black blob on your wrist. A hybrid overcomes this. I also think that having to lift your arm to turn on the ?Watch will prove flawed. Not only because you sometimes want to use it without having to raise your arm, but because it will often come on when you don't want it to. What if you're in a dark theatre at a concert and raise your arm? Your ?watch is going to light up and annoy everyone!

• Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

you sure you can even do that one-handed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Oh boy yes. This wipes the floor with the Apple Watch. I think it was Relic who first brought it to our attention.

It's still much too thick, but at least the design is attractive. The touch interface looks lovely and simple, much more so than the ?Watch. The video is exciting to watch. The mechanical aspects look beautiful. 

Although not perfect, I love the mechanical aspect of it. Still room for Apple to bring this to market later.

As I have posted before, the Apple watch allows Apple to bring a product to market anytime they come up with a new design, while keeping events to hardware releases.  

• Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

you sure you can even do that one-handed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Although not perfect, I love the mechanical aspect of it. Still room for Apple to bring this to market later.

As I have posted before, the Apple watch allows Apple to bring a product to market anytime they come up with a new design, while keeping events to hardware releases.  

I wonder if Apple ever seriously considered a hybrid? I'm sure they considered it, but it may have got discarded early on. Agony, really. They should just buy this company!

• Reply 66 of 66
    The problem with the ?Watch is that for most of the time, it looks like an ugly black blob on your wrist. A hybrid overcomes this. I also think that having to lift your arm to turn on the ?Watch will prove flawed. Not only because you sometimes want to use it without having to raise your arm, but because it will often come on when you don't want it to. What if you're in a dark theatre at a concert and raise your arm? Your ?watch is going to light up and annoy everyone!

I agree, but remember Apple can change it up next year. There is no reason they can't adopt transparent display tech to overlay any number of mechanical watch face designs. What I'd love to see is Apple standardize a watch face size (s) with a x*y*z and sensors on the bottom using a standard interconnect so that one could potentially get certain multi-thousand dollar watches that have can still be ?Watch as well as have either the S-series chip, sensor array, and/or display upgraded whilst keeping the classic and timeless watch appeal. Of course, what I'm asking for is much more complex than what Apple has built.