'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand

Comments

• Reply 141 of 198

I wonder how many millions they'll sell over the course of a single weekend this time. 

• Reply 142 of 198
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

This whole debacle could have been avoided if you people had ordered the 6+. The lines were all open. Nobody wants a large iPhone. 

/s

• Reply 143 of 198
    robm wrote: »
    New Zealand is a twist on zeeland because of the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman who was the first to chart a part of the coast round these here parts.

So Old Zeeland would actually be in Holland.

Boring history rant off/

Not boring at all. Thanks for the info. Another bit of useless info to log into my noggin that I can recant for those awkward silent moments. ????
  • Reply 144 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

For me, the Apple Store came up around 1240am Pacific Time

I got to it around 3:15am NYC time. I finished at 3:22am. 

• Reply 145 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

This whole debacle could have been avoided if you people had ordered the 6+. The lines were all open. Nobody wants a large iPhone. 

/s

The iPhone 6+ sold out the fastest. 

• Reply 146 of 198
    I ordered an iPhone 6 Plus space gray 128GB through the AT&T website at 12:03am and I was quoted a 2-3 week delivery time. Then I ordered an iPhone 6 128GB silver for my wife 6 minutes later. Delivery will be on the release date.

I'm annoyed my iPhone Plus ordered 2 minutes after the official preorder time won't arrive for 2-3 weeks.
  • Reply 147 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It's a mobile phone, not medicine or your next meal.

But to be fair, it's a mobile phone that can purchase medicine or your next meal...via Apple Pay.  ;-)

• Reply 148 of 198
    This preorder was a disaster.
  • Reply 149 of 198

That's what AT&T did. I got on the website at 12:01. But, by the time AT&T allowed me in, I had already ordered through the Apple Store app on iOS with no problems.

• Reply 150 of 198
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple is supposed to be the best technology company on the planet, yet they have never gotten LiveStreams right and they have never gotten preorders right. I'm being kind by not listing all the other things they've never gotten right!

Research Queue Theory.

Queueing theory is the mathematical study of waiting lines, or queues.[1] In queueing theory a model is constructed so that queue lengths and waiting times can be predicted.[1] Queueing theory is generally considered a branch of operations research because the results are often used when making business decisions about the resources needed to provide a service.

By business decisions it is meant that one must decide how much money and resources should be put into a system to satisfy the queue. If Apple were to put enough servers online to easily handle the onslaught of a new iPhone launch they would be wasting tons of money and most of the capacity would go unused the rest of the time. Not an efficient use of resources. Same thing applies to mobile and landline telephone service. Everything is fine during normal situations but when a disaster hits the system is overwhelmed because too many people are trying to use the network at the same time. If telephone companies were to build their networks to handle the kind of traffic, on a daily basis, a disaster brings then they’d have tons of unused capacity sitting there not making money.

And of course other tech companies don’t have this problem because they don’t have massive launches like Apple. They WISH they had this problem. They DREAM about having this problem. 

And NO, nobody is going to get mad and go buy an Android phone instead no matter what some troll thinks. 

• Reply 151 of 198
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    galore2112 wrote: »
    But why can Apple's system serve up high res graphics to everyone trying to order? So megabytes of flashy website graphics is no problem but once it comes to exchanging a handful of bytes to order, the system breaks down?

Because graphics are static content being served from a CDN edge and the order process is dynamic and requires multiple calls to a database? It's not a bandwidth issue.
  • Reply 152 of 198

"overwhelming demand" says it all . . .

• Reply 153 of 198
    Then what is your point? Apple pre-order is bigger than a Best Buy event? Ok, so what? Apple is not using Apple Pay for ONE event, so your point is moot. 

You think an Apple event is bigger than an Amazon Black Friday sale? I think not! 
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/26/5245008/amazon-sees-prime-spike-in-2013-holiday-season 
    http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/12/02/comscore-black-friday-online-sales-hit-1-2-billion-with-amazon-the-top-retailer/ 

Please quit while you are sooooo far behind.

Yes, way more than Amazon. That was 1.2 billion in cyber sales with Amazon leading. Amazon doesn't provide figures anyway so no idea of how much Amazon alone sold. That also doesn't tell you how many people accessed the site in that time period or largest number of transactions occurring at the same time.

But let's look at the iPhone 5 launch. 5mm phones sold at launch. At $600 each, which is the low end, that is 3 BILLION in sales at launch. That is like 3 times your dumb example (all sales not just Amazon). Not to mention that there isn't a mad rush on Black Friday for cyber deals. The cheap "deals" are usually spread out over the day. Let's also not forget that the big day for online sales in Cyber Monday and not Black Friday Anyway. Apples launches are close to being the same in sales as online Black Friday and the two Cyber Mondays (1st two Mondays in Dec) combined.

Apple has already said this launch set records. Unprecedented period.
  • Reply 154 of 198
    wonder if the card rejection problem, after fixing it within the week apple gives, saves your place in the shipment que?
  • Reply 155 of 198
    wovel wrote: »
    Because graphics are static content being served from a CDN edge and the order process is dynamic and requires multiple calls to a database? It's not a bandwidth issue.

How about improving the db infrastructure then? My point still stands.

Good luck with Apple Pay if Apple's db infrastructure can't even handle a very much predictable phone launch.
  • Reply 156 of 198
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    galore2112 wrote: »

Good luck with Apple Pay if Apple's db infrastructure can't even handle a very much predictable phone launch.

You just committed troll suicide with that last shot.
    You keep on using yer droid ware. Apple doesn't need you.
    LatReZ
  • Reply 157 of 198
    Originally Posted by galore2112 View Post

False equivalence. Try again.

• Reply 158 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The device creates a token which it sends along with a device identifier. What happens after that isn't clear, but somewhere along the line Apple has to translate that into the CC info.

No. Apple never does. Its the network (Visa) and the issuing bank that do. They are the ones that assign the number. 

http://bankinnovation.net/2014/09/heres-how-the-security-behind-apple-pay-will-really-work/

• Reply 159 of 198

It's all good.

If everything went smoothly we would not remember it. :)

It makes us appreciate the iPhone 6 that much more.

Expect a similar experience for the Apple Watch.

Go Apple.

• Reply 160 of 198
    all the UK carrier websites crashed at 8:00 am, and some remained 'under maintenance' most of the day, so I gave up online and walked into an empty EE store at lunch time and was told I was the first person there to pre order an iPhone!