iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus preorder delivery dates slip as AT&T sees biggest-ever pre-sale launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Exactly one day after preorders for went live, demand for Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus remains high, as evidenced by continued slips in shipping estimates and the announcement of a record-breaking preorder launch from AT&T.

As reflected on the Online Apple Store, launch day preorders for the new iPhone are going fast, with many 4.7-inch models showing 7 to 10 day ship-by dates and all allotted 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus stock sold out.

The iPhone 6 Plus was the first to see preorder shipping estimates pushed back shortly after the unit became available Friday morning. Current U.S. Online Apple Store estimates are showing ship-by dates of 3 to 4 weeks for all iPhone 6 Plus options, a scenario mirrored in many international stores.

As for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile still have a few color and capacity combinations available for delivery by Sept. 19, though supplies are being rapidly depleted. It is unclear at this time if launch supply for the iPhone 6 Plus is constrained or consumer interest in the phablet device is grossly outstripping that of the 4.7-inch model.

Pent-up demand for the latest iPhones continues to set records for both Apple and its partner wireless carriers, and AT&T late Friday announced record-breaking preorder sales.

"This is our biggest iPhone, pre-order launch day ever," AT&T Mobility CEO Glenn Lurie said in a prepared statement.

Earlier in the day, Apple itself reported that overnight iPhone preorders set a new record for the company.

When preorders for the iPhone 6 kicked off on Friday, the onslaught of customers caused server congestion issues for both Apple and its partner resellers. The issue was so severe that Apple resorted to taking reservations for later processing instead of completing transactions in realtime. The company's online storefront was also down for the initial preorder period, prompting iOS device owners to place orders through the Apple Store app.

Although online preorders are selling out, customers still have a chance to grab an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on launch day by visiting brick-and-mortar Apple Stores, which will have limited supply on hand for walk-in buyers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 222
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Apple should double the size of their phones next year so they sell twice as many again...
  • Reply 2 of 222
    Grumbling... AT&T said this morning 3-4 weeks like everybody else. Now my order has been moved to mid November, and I am not allowed to cancel. "Preparing for shipment" Beware of ordering from AT&T.
  • Reply 3 of 222
    Yeah, I don’t have a chance on the 20th, do I. Not unless there’s walk-in stock left over at my Verizon store…
  • Reply 4 of 222
    I just ordered for someone tonight (Verizon, Space Grey, 16GB) with a shipping date of 9/19. I'm guessing the 16GB models are not very popular with a 48GB bump for $100.
  • Reply 5 of 222
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm guessing the 16GB models are not very popular with a 48GB bump for $100.

That's pretty clever marketing when you think about it.

(Is it just me or is anybody else occasionally looking at images of the iPhone 6 just to remind yourself of what a beautiful phone will soon be yours?)
  • Reply 6 of 222
    Well I used AT&T to preorder and got my order in 3 minutes after 2:00am and my confirmation email 10 minutes later. If I get an email saying mine will be delayed for 14-21 days I will do the same thing I did last year and cancel my order. Then pick one up at one of the 15 locations selling them. Last year the line was a whopping 9 people. I always get the black/space grey. Everyone else fights for the Silver and Gold
  • Reply 7 of 222

I got to check both phones in person before deciding.. I will be upgrade eligible in November.

• Reply 8 of 222
    gtr wrote: »
    That's pretty clever marketing when you think about it.

Absolutely. If they had made it 32GB, 64GB and 128GB I would have gone with the 32GB on the low-end. This will definitely get many to make that jump past 16GB despite. I have 6GiB free at the moment on iOS 8 and plan to get 64GB due to potential data use and the resale value of 64GB in a year. Plus, when you think about a jump of 48GB and 64GB, respectively, between capacities it does seem much more reasonable than 16GB and 32GB, respectively, for $100. People should stop complaining since the 64GB model is now $100 cheaper than last year, and the 128GB now exists.
  • Reply 9 of 222
    Yeah, I don’t have a chance on the 20th, do I. Not unless there’s walk-in stock left over at my Verizon store…

I think you would be wrong. Stores should receive factory shipments every day until there is inventory.
  • Reply 10 of 222
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I think you would be wrong. Stores should receive factory shipments every day until there is inventory.

I thought it was once a week until supply caught up with demand.

• Reply 11 of 222
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    After a 1 hour 45 minute phone call last night I am getting a silver 128GB shipping two to three weeks.

The plus was not available for preorder here which tends to indicate constrained supply rather than high demand.
  • Reply 12 of 222
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Grumbling... AT&T said this morning 3-4 weeks like everybody else. Now my order has been moved to mid November, and I am not allowed to cancel. "Preparing for shipment" Beware of ordering from AT&T.

I forgot about the iOS Apple Store app, and when I couldn't connect to the Apple Store Website last night, I ordered from AT&T.  When I saw this morning that the expected ship date was November, I managed to cancel and reorder online from Apple. I had to talk to a human to get my upgrade eligibility restored right away. The wait on the phone for an AT&T service rep was only about 20 minutes.

• Reply 13 of 222
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Grumbling... AT&T said this morning 3-4 weeks like everybody else. Now my order has been moved to mid November, and I am not allowed to cancel.

Sure you can.

Nothing has been charged to your card so if AT&T give you a hassle, just call the credit card company and tell them your order is not going thru as expected.

• Reply 14 of 222
    I have never heard of not being "allowed to cancel." I'd ask for a supervisor. There's always call your credit card company [particularly if American Express] and cancel it that way. AT&T generally is good but you may have to go up the food chain to get satisfaction.
  • Reply 15 of 222
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I can't wait to see the sales figures on these things. It's going to be astronomical, as opposed to that of most competitors, which are just comical. I've been reading around on a few different sites, and boy, if you've noticed the same thing that I have, then it's that the Fandroids sure are out in force for this one, and one thing's for sure, they are grumpier than ever, and most of them are also lying through their teeth, as they usually do.

Just wait until the rave reviews start coming out! I look forward to seeing the screen in person, as I read that it's quite a bit improved over the previous gens, and I'm not just talking pixels, but over all quality and colors etc., not that the previous gen displays were bad at all! Pre-ordering this phone is a no brainer for most people, because most of them already know what it'll be like! It's a damn iPhone, the newest and improved, best version ever of the Phone that is already used and liked by so many users! What's the satisfaction rating again? Oh, something like 98%? Oh ok, carry on.

Apple has implemented the most secure payment system ever with this phone. The combo of TouchID & ?Pay will be killer! A few angry, ignorant Fandroids have been grumbling about NFC and claiming that Apple's is basically the same, and that this has been around for years! No it's not, you inbred, lying lunatics! Apple uses a completely different and much more secure method of doing things, which fully protects the customer's cards and info during transactions! They are not comparable at all. And it's pretty telling that Android's NFC failure has basically gone nowhere and never taken off! And they've had years to do it! That's what happens when you just keep adding a shitload of features and jam them into phones without any thought whatsoever as to their implementation and actual usage. What good is features if half of them don't even work properly? Samsung's fingerprint reader comes to mind.

And anybody who claims that 64bit is only useful if you have more than 4GB of RAM needs to be bitch slapped, because they're simply wrong. They should read up on the subject before opening their ignorant mouths. Anandtech has a few good articles on it, for those who are technically inclined.

2014 is going to be a very good year for Apple indeed. 

• Reply 16 of 222
    Expected. You could see the demand last night. I had random people on my team and in the office that are not tech savvy saying that they pre-ordered last night as well. Most of them did not even know everything that the new iPhones were getting. That tells you that Apple's launches alone get people excited. That tells you how Apple's name has cachet.
  • Reply 17 of 222

Samedung are crapping in their pants right now

• Reply 18 of 222

• Reply 19 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Apple should double the size of their phones next year so they sell twice as many again...

I don't think that would be a good idea. It would make the phones too big.

• Reply 20 of 222
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Apple has implemented the most secure payment system ever with this phone. The combo of TouchID & ?Pay will be killer! A few angry, ignorant Fandroids have been grumbling about NFC and claiming that Apple's is basically the same, and that this has been around for years! No it's not, you inbred, lying lunatics! Apple uses a completely different and much more secure method of doing things, which fully protects the customer's cards and info during transactions! They are not comparable at all. And it's pretty telling that Android's NFC failure has basically gone nowhere and never taken off! And they've had years to do it!

Check out an interesting article on the timing of Apple's implementation of a payment system on 9to5mac:

"Why Apple timed things perfectly with the launch of Apple Pay"