iPhone 6 & Apple Watch reveals lived up to the hype for Wall Street, investors have high hopes for A

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it. And hopefully some of the UI is cleaned up. I don't need to view my photo stream on this device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hope so because as much as I'm amazed by the design and technology in the product I'm not sure Apple answered the "does it deserve to exist" question yet.

People said the SAME thing about the iPad. WHY does it need to exist? We have smartphones and laptops/netbooks. This thing is a massive phone cant even make calls, and doesnt even have the fraction of the functionality of a laptop. It doesnt deserve to exist, and will crash and burn. There doesn't need to be one WHY, there can be a million, as long as its enough to cover everyone's use cases. The iPad:

1. Was a joy to use

2. Got a ton of 3rd party support

That's all the "why" the iWatch needs. Increased fucntionality and abilities will come with time, and software. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

To compare the butt-**** ugly, unoriginal and absolutely underwhelming AppleWatch with the revolutionary and ground-shattering iPhone (which simply recreated the whole mobile phone market) is ludicrous, to say the least. 

Adding every negative adjective you can think of to the Apple Watch does not make your non-argument any stronger. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

They have already explained that the butt-**** ugly AppleWatch is water-resistant, NOT waterproof.

Grow the hell up, you sound like a spoiled, butt-hurt child. It takes a special kind of narcissist to continue to describe something as "ugly", when that adjective is so subjective, and when you're obviously in the minority. You and your kind, people who are so intellectually and creatively bankrupt with no sense of vision, remind me of all the vitriolic haters at the iPod, iPhone, and iPad unveilings. Your lack of imagination and seething hatred towards anything new is not Apple's fault, it's yours. 

• Reply 102 of 106
    brlawyer wrote: »
    one9deuce wrote: »
    Those Swiss watch makers could definitely be around in 100 years, they make amazing and beautiful watches. But here's the thing about Apple introducing the Apple Watch, it reminds me of the iPhone introduction. It's not as Earth shattering as that (can anything ever be again?) but there is one big similarity, ask yourself this:

Does the idea of a phone in your pocket that can only make phone calls seem ridiculous in 2014? No texting, no email, no FaceTime, no still camera, no video camera, no GPS, no music player, no watching movies or television shows, no clock, no calendar, no alarm, no calculator, no voicemail, no photo album, no games, no Apps, no Internet...

A phone that just makes phone calls. Seems almost absurd.

Will people in a decade feel that way about a watch that only tells time?

To compare the butt-**** ugly, unoriginal and absolutely underwhelming AppleWatch with the revolutionary and ground-shattering iPhone (which simply recreated the whole mobile phone market) is ludicrous, to say the least. 

Seconded.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    slurpy wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    I still agree with Ben Thompson though that Apple needs to nail the "why" for iWatch. We got a lot of "what" yesterday but not a lot of "why". Ben Bajarin thinks there's more around Apple Watch that hasn't been announced yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has another event to officially launch Apple Watch. Hopefully that event will better tell the narrative of why I need to buy it. And hopefully some of the UI is cleaned up. I don't need to view my photo stream on this device.
    rogifan wrote: »
    I hope so because as much as I'm amazed by the design and technology in the product I'm not sure Apple answered the "does it deserve to exist" question yet.

People said the SAME thing about the iPad. WHY does it need to exist? We have smartphones and laptops/netbooks. This thing is a massive phone cant even make calls, and doesnt even have the fraction of the functionality of a laptop. It doesnt deserve to exist, and will crash and burn. There doesn't need to be one WHY, there can be a million, as long as its enough to cover everyone's use cases. The iPad:

1. Was a joy to use
    2. Got a ton of 3rd party support

That's all the "why" the iWatch needs. Increased fucntionality and abilities will come with time, and software. 

Adding every negative adjective you can think of to the Apple Watch does not make your non-argument any stronger. 

They have already explained that the butt-**** ugly AppleWatch is water-resistant, NOT waterproof.

Grow the hell up, you sound like a spoiled, butt-hurt child. It takes a special kind of narcissist to continue to describe something as "ugly", when that adjective is so subjective, and when you're obviously in the minority. You and your kind, people who are so intellectually and creatively bankrupt with no sense of vision, remind me of all the vitriolic haters at the iPod, iPhone, and iPad unveilings. Your lack of imagination and seething hatred towards anything new is not Apple's fault, it's yours. 

He's right, though. I feel your hurt.
  • Reply 104 of 106

@brlawyer

I'm comparing the impact the iPhone had on phones, to the potential impact the Apple Watch could have on watches. My post is right up there to read. It's not a very complicated and wordy post, but I'm fine with paraphrasing it and putting it in simpler terms for you:

iPhone has made regular phones nearly obsolete because of the incredible range of function they have.

Apple Watch could make regular watches nearly obsolete because of the incredible range of function they MIGHT have. 

It was clear from the iPhone keynote that the iPhone was going to change everything immediately upon release. It's not that clear with the Apple Watch. But if you're paying attention to the possibilities, it might end up being MORE impact-full than the iPhone. Think in terms of biometric monitoring, the Apple Watch could end up telling you so much about your health, that not having it would seem ludicrous.

Health and a longer life-span is the HOLY GRAIL of technology. Apple has taken the first steps with a consumer technology product that could increase the quality of your well-being.

Put iPhone 6 next to the Original iPhone. It's gotten so much better we could hardly have imagined it.

Now think of Apple Watch 8 next to the Original Apple Watch.

Why anyone would bet against Apple doing something extraordinary is beyond me.  

• Reply 105 of 106
    Originally Posted by one9deuce View Post

Health and a longer life-span is the HOLY GRAIL of technology. Apple has taken the first steps with a consumer technology product that could increase the quality of your well-being.

I would say more that Apple has decided it will think about thinking about taking a step in this direction.