'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

That's a great point! 

Quote:

With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number alongside a transaction-specific dynamic security code is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared with merchants or transmitted with payment.

• Reply 182 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Then you are simply delusional. 

Apple won't handle every transaction, that would be foolish to think so. However, if Apple can't get pre-orders of their own product, that they know will be hugely popular, done correctly, how can you imagine then doing so for any number of products on sale during a holiday? 

Right back at you, big guy.

You obviously don't get the complexity and monumentality of the start of iPhone preorder day. If you think that shopping during a holiday, which is more spread out and a lot less complex, then I can't help you.

The one thing we will never ever know is if, in the same situation, any other retailer, big box or online, could handle the volume handled by Apple during the first few hours of preorder.

• Reply 183 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Apple is not using Apple Pay for the iPhone pre orders either.   So I haven't  clue what you are trying to say.

Apple is running a single event.  They don't have to be bigger than the totality of Black Friday or any holiday, since that is not a single effort by a single company.   I am trying to compare apples to apples (small "a") in a fair comparison.   You seem to think that Apple should be able to handle a single event greater than the totality of holiday shopping.

If you are trying to cast doubt on Apple Pay and Apple trying to handle payment across multiple retailers on a single retail day, you could have mentioned this in your posts, which said nothing about Apple Pay.   And trying to make comparisons between Apple Pay and the iPhone preorder launch is faulty, as the needs of each event are greatly different.   Authorizing a single transaction is very low overhead, compared to someone interactively ordering a phone with tie-ins to each carrier etc.

The imply was Apple Pay, sorry I had to actually type it out. 

To your point,iIf they can't run a single event correctly, how would you think them to handle Black Friday? 

• Reply 184 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Right back at you, big guy.

You obviously don't get the complexity and monumentality of the start of iPhone preorder day. If you think that shopping during a holiday, which is more spread out and a lot less complex, then I can't help you.

The one thing we will never ever know is if, in the same situation, any other retailer, big box or online, could handle the volume handled by Apple during the first few hours of preorder.

Yes, because Black Friday is so much smaller than a iPhone pre-order.... I stand corrected /s

• Reply 185 of 198
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

The imply was Apple Pay, sorry I had to actually type it out. 

To your point,iIf they can't run a single event correctly, how would you think them to handle Black Friday? 

Apple has been running Black Friday events for years.

Why do you insist on comparing two totally dissimilar things with no relation to one another?
  • Reply 186 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Yes, because Black Friday is so much smaller than a iPhone pre-order.... I stand corrected /s

I guess you have a comprehension problem.

Is Black Friday as "complex" as a preorder day and, really, are there as many orders going through, of this nature, at one time in such a short period of time during Black Friday in any one establishment.

Go ahead, big guy, tell us that you know all about it. We all know you don't. You're just swinging like crazy hoping that somebody will believe your bs.

There are just too many questions, too many variables that none of us know to accurately assess the situation... yet you seem to be able to divine an absolute answer.

Wow... just wow.

• Reply 187 of 198
    Wow! take a deep breath and think this through. If Apple can't handle a, small by comparison, pre-order day, how would it think it could handle the increased volume of transactions a Black Friday day, or any major retail event, would produce?

Although, this may be moot, as posted above, Apple servers would not be involved.
  • Reply 188 of 198
    <p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">I guess you have a comprehension problem.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">Is Black Friday as "complex" as a preorder day and, really, are there as many orders going through, of this nature, at one time in such a short period of time during Black Friday in any one establishment.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">Go ahead, big guy, tell us that you know all about it. We all know you don't. You're just swinging like crazy hoping that somebody will believe your bs.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">There are just too many questions, too many variables that none of us know to accurately assess the situation... yet you seem to be able to divine an absolute answer.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-top:0px;">Wow... just wow.</p>

Pre-orders are the same as any other order with the exception of a) you don't get the product, and b) you don't pay. Aside from the, the process would be the same, so I don't get your point.

I have no absolute answer, I did pose a QUESTION!!!!
  • Reply 189 of 198
    Quote:

Pre-orders are the same as any other order with the exception of a) you don't get the product, and b) you don't pay. Aside from the, the process would be the same, so I don't get your point.

I have no absolute answer, I did pose a QUESTION!!!!

You posed a question?

Hardly.

It sounds like you already know the answer and have decided you know absolutely everything there is to know about the situation.

How do you know that Black Friday is as busy at any one time as at the moment that preorder opens. How Damn, man, give your head a shake. Apple has 800 million itunes subscribers. what do you think it's like at Christmas for Apple. They are one of the busiest establishments on the planet.

Have you heard of any big complaints? 

Really... have you?

• Reply 190 of 198
    You posed a question?

Hardly.

It sounds like you already know the answer and have decided you know absolutely everything there is to know about the situation.

How do you know that Black Friday is as busy at any one time as at the moment that preorder opens. How Damn, man, give your head a shake. Apple has 800 million itunes subscribers. what do you think it's like at Christmas for Apple. They are one of the busiest establishments on the planet.

Have you heard of any big complaints? 

Really... have you?

That's cute. You actually compare Apple iTunes volume to Black Friday. With that, there is nothing else one could say....
  • Reply 191 of 198
    Quote:

That's cute. You actually compare Apple iTunes volume to Black Friday. With that, there is nothing else one could say....

So you are still saying that Apple is going to handle "every" transaction on a Black Friday. With that, there is nothing else one could say....

• Reply 192 of 198
    So you are still saying that Apple is going to handle "every" transaction on a Black Friday. With that, there is nothing else one could say....

:sigh: no, that's not what I said, nor implied.
  • Reply 193 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why apologise?. People need to learn some patience. There is a capacity to any system. Try again later, stupid spoiled self-entitled people with first world problems. It's a mobile phone, not medicine or your next meal.

Get a grip.

When did we lose the civilised art of waiting our turn?

That reminds me of the old line about how the British would wait in line to watch a sunrise.

Civility is something that has been lost because of the anonymity of the Internet.

IT'S ALL ABOUT ME, DAMMIT!

No need to shout. Be civil. :)

• Reply 194 of 198
    Quote:

:sigh: no, that's not what I said, nor implied.

Sigh... that is what you said and definitely what you implied.

• Reply 195 of 198
    Apple may need Alibaba on this stuff.
  • Reply 196 of 198
    Sigh... that is what you said and definitely what you implied.

No, it's not. Quit being such a fanboy.
  • Reply 197 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

No, it's not. Quit being such a fanboy.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh boy!

Good one!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha