Cook says Apple working on products that 'haven't been rumored about yet' [u]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 138
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

A TV show is not a web site.

Putting a TV show ONTO a website, however.

• Reply 102 of 138
    crysisftw wrote: »
    How exactly can a company with absolutely no experience in auto industry be expected to 'revolutionise' it?

I'd rather expect more features in OS X, iOS, better battery, processor and display technologies from Apple because these are the areas Apple can actually deliver in.

Change "auto" for "cellular phone" and you sound just like Steve Ballmer in 2007. LOL!
  • Reply 103 of 138
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

[concerning the Unrumored Products]

No one seems to talk about the iPod. Yet, it still features prominently in the header of Apple's revamped website. It is very telling that the iPod is positioned in between iTunes and iPad. The iPad is actually a bigger screen iPod Touch:

1. Are we going to see a bigger screen for the iPod Touch? 5.5 inch does make sense here.

2. With a much needed processor upgrade?

3. And will it get a better camera? Last time the new iPod Touch was positioned in the point and shoot market. Which makes sense: you're more likely to take pictures with your iPod than iPad. 

The iPod nano shares the same fate as the iPod Classic. Its days are numbered with the arrival of the ? watch. The  ? watch is actually how the next generation iPod nano should have been. I am still mystified why Apple chose to create a new product category instead of building upon the fitness legacy of the iPod nano? It would have defined them as a pioneer instead of a follower.

All eyes are on the iPod Touch now ... will it re-define the iPod once again? "Continuity" stems me hopeful.

• Reply 104 of 138
    It's the rapid advances in technology like the link below, that will make the ?Watch just the first step into wearables and the next wave of connected devices and functionality.

From ArsTechnica:

[URL=http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/09/this-internet-of-things-radio-is-the-size-of-an-ant/]Radio the size of an ant developed by researchers and scientists at Stanford and Berkeley[/URL]
  • Reply 105 of 138
    If I want new Apple product, maybe iShoes will be interesting.
  • Reply 106 of 138
    I hope they bring out a bigger iPad soon. The 6 Plus is over half the size of the iPad. We need at least an 11" iPad and preferably bigger.
  • Reply 107 of 138
    mr o wrote: »
    [concerning the Unrumored Products]

No one seems to talk about the iPod. Yet, it still features prominently in the header of Apple's revamped website. It is very telling that the iPod is positioned in between iTunes and iPad. The iPad is actually a bigger screen iPod Touch:
    1. Are we going to see a bigger screen for the iPod Touch? 5.5 inch does make sense here.
    2. With a much needed processor upgrade?
    3. And will it get a better camera? Last time the new iPod Touch was positioned in the point and shoot market. Which makes sense: you're more likely to take pictures with your iPod than iPad. 

The iPod nano shares the same fate as the iPod Classic. Its days are numbered with the arrival of the ? watch. The  ? watch is actually how the next generation iPod nano should have been. I am still mystified why Apple chose to create a new product category instead of building upon the fitness legacy of the iPod nano? It would have defined them as a pioneer instead of a follower.

All eyes are on the iPod Touch now ... will it re-define the iPod once again? "Continuity" stems me hopeful.

I agree that there is still plenty of room for innovation for Apple with the iPods. But what I think is difficult is the fact that the Apple watch steals the wearable segment that made Nanos and Shuffles so popular, and with the iPhone 5C now "free" I don't see much of a place for the Touch since most parents will likely buy 5Cs for their kids instead of iPods (i saw that quite a few times last year when the 5C was $99).

But I am extremely curious what Apple will do with iPods. I'm hoping this is not the beginning of the end for the iPod line.
  • Reply 108 of 138
    I hope they bring out a bigger iPad soon. The 6 Plus is over half the size of the iPad. We need at least an 11" iPad and preferably bigger.

I think a bigger iPad is a given. Probably the iPad plus.
  • Reply 109 of 138
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Probably the iPad plus.

I just don’t get it. What’s wrong with “iPhone” and “iPad” for the name? There is literally no problem here.

“I’d like a MacBook Pro.”

“Okay, sir, what size?”

“I’d like an iPhone.”

“Okay, sir, what size?”

• Reply 110 of 138
    I just don’t get it. What’s wrong with “iPhone” and “iPad” for the name? There is literally no problem here.

“I’d like a MacBook Pro.”

“Okay, sir, what size?”

“I’d like an iPhone.”
    “Okay, sir, what size?”

I agree and I'm surprised apple didn't stylize the iPhone plus name like this iPhone 6+.

Regardless with "Plus" as a moniker now in the mix I think that's more likely a name option for the big iPad over Pro.
  • Reply 111 of 138

I agree and I'm surprised apple didn't stylize the iPhone plus name like this iPhone 6+.

Because people would think they can’t get AppleCare for the model without a +.

• Reply 112 of 138

This was such a good interview with Cook.  It's so nice to see him unscripted (not a keynote) because he really opens up and gives us interesting insight into his mind the company.  You watch this interview and you now the company is in good hands.  You get the impression that there really are some unexpected things coming.

I have also noticed that Woz has not weighed in on anything post keynote - the silence is refreshing.

• Reply 113 of 138
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

I agree that there is still plenty of room for innovation for Apple with the iPods. But what I think is difficult is the fact that the Apple watch steals the wearable segment that made Nanos and Shuffles so popular, and with the iPhone 5C now "free" I don't see much of a place for the Touch since most parents will likely buy 5Cs for their kids instead of iPods (i saw that quite a few times last year when the 5C was $99).

But I am extremely curious what Apple will do with iPods. I'm hoping this is not the beginning of the end for the iPod line.

I am a bit confused with Apple. They have this great "Continuity" technology which lets you have/make phone calls from any Apple device.

I thought "Continuity" was going to shrink the size of the iPhone. The idea is that you rarely take your iPhone out of the bag and instead use a bigger (iPod/iPad) screen. It is a win win to Apple. You get the iPhone for Connectivity, iPod/iPad for productivity.

Instead Apple launched the iPhone 6+ which offers Connectivity and Productivity (at the cost of Portability). It is a big blow to the "Continuity" concept :???:

To make things even more confusing. The ? watch is designed to work in tandem with the iPhone. If Apple ever wants to appeal to the fitness people, they will need to give a 3.5 inch iPhone a second thought.

- - - - -

PS: I am also curious if the "Continuity" technology will render the cellular iPads obsolete?

• Reply 114 of 138
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,384moderator
    Wh… what?! Did he say that specifically?

Yeah, a few people do actually, they just send a PM to shut their account. I suppose it's like suicide by cop. They don't have the willpower to take action themselves. There was a time when I'd try talking them out of it but meh.
    I’ve only seen cursory information about it, but Tesla offers 45 second battery swaps at some of their locations. Now, is this free like the Superchargers are, or is there some other cost involved?

$60-80 apparently:

http://www.dailytech.com/Teslas+Battery+Swap+Only+Takes+90+Seconds+Costs+6080/article31810.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_station

"Elon Musk said the battery swapping service would be offered for the price of about 15 US gallons of gasoline at the current local rate, around US$60 to US$80 at June 2013 prices. Owners can pick up their battery pack fully charged on the return trip, which is included in the swap fee. Tesla will also offer the option to keep the pack received on the swap and paying the price difference if the battery received is newer; or to receive the original pack back from Tesla for a transport fee. The billing will be handled via customer credit card on file with Tesla. Pricing had not been determined as of June 2013."

It would cost more if you don't swap the old battery back in. The cost will likely come down the more people use it or if they can automate it enough that it doesn't require a lot of full-time staff.
    In the context of broadcasting, using the term "live" to describe a recorded program, other than the phrase "recorded live in front of a bunch of zombies," is an offence that can get one fired.

I doubt any of Apple's media presentations are done live. Remember the one with Jony Ive in the lab and the Blue Peter badge and they presented him with the badge like it was a surprise and they just happened to have a giant badge being made in their milling machine. It's all staged. They edit their own live keynotes sometimes when they go to the official presentation.

The term 'going live' is used for web content but there might be another term similar to 'airing' that can be used to avoid confusion like 'will be available on the web'.
  • Reply 115 of 138

I am a bit confused with Apple. They have this great "Continuity" technology which lets you have/make phone calls from any Apple device.

I thought "Continuity" was going to shrink the size of the iPhone. The idea is that you rarely take your iPhone out of the bag and instead use a bigger (iPod/iPad) screen. It is a win win to Apple. You get the iPhone for Connectivity, iPod/iPad for productivity.

Instead Apple launched the iPhone 6+ which offers Connectivity and Productivity (at the cost of Portability). It is a big blow to the "Continuity" concept :???:

To make things even more confusing. The ? watch is designed to work in tandem with the iPhone. If Apple ever wants to appeal to the fitness people, they will need to give a 3.5 inch iPhone a second thought.

- - - - -

PS: I am also curious if the "Continuity" technology will render the cellular iPads obsolete?
    I believe continuity only works when both devices are connected to the same wifi. Or if you use your phone as a hotspot which could potentially kill your data plan.
  • Reply 116 of 138
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

$60-80 apparently:

Owners can pick up their battery pack fully charged on the return trip, which is included in the swap fee. Tesla will also offer the option to keep the pack received on the swap and paying the price difference if the battery received is newer; or to receive the original pack back from Tesla for a transport fee. The billing will be handled via customer credit card on file with Tesla. Pricing had not been determined as of June 2013."

... Holy crap, that’s a steal. And it takes into account the potential age of your battery and the one swapped. That’s great.

They edit their own live keynotes sometimes when they go to the official presentation.

??r??lyt?Th???n??l??ly?ly??m?????n???n???????? Well, that was odd. The only time I can remember them doing that is the iPhone 4 Wi-Fi boondoggle being edited out, but that was a fairly significant change.

• Reply 117 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I watches the entire interview. It was really good. One of Tim's better interviews. He's really coming into his own as CEO and you can tell he's very proud of the stuff Apple has announced and is working on for the future.

I finally got to see it on hulu last night and it was great. It definitely seems like Tim is a better negotiator than a conversationalist. He wasn't very engaged in some of the banter, but really switched on every time he was prodded by charlie rose. He didn't even flinch when the possibility of a camera was brought up, or when asked something to the effect of whether Apple is destined for failure without Steve Jobs. It was really refreshing for him to say that he is well aware that Steve is not around and isn't worried about it, that he's focused on trying to be "the best Tim Cook." I really appreciate that he tries to be genuine, instead of putting on a show. I'm surprised though that he didn't mention Apple University, which seems like a great counterpoint (among many other things) to the FUD that Apple will somehow, mysteriously deteriorate.

• Reply 118 of 138

Like many companies, they probably work on a lot of things that nobody has any clue that they are working on.  Whether those projects ever make it to market is another thing.

Make a list and you could possibly hit it, or completely miss.

A ring (one ring to rule them all)

Glasses (why only Google?)

Tooth implants

Coffee Maker (yeah, Apple would finally do this right)

or...

The iRumorCreator

or...

The iLackofRumorStressCreator

8-) 

• Reply 119 of 138

Agreed. We need an autonomous vehicle that will make parking lots and personal cars a thing of the past, because when a car can drive itself, it can charge itself and store itself, which means no more getting 1 car for 10 different kinds of trips with regards to number of people and amount of cargo. Apple can be the one to make that happen, to make vehicles built around the person using them.

• Reply 120 of 138

- - - - -

I don't think the purpose of Continuity was to shrink the iPhone. The overall goal was to add more stickiness to the entire platform and encourage iPhone buyers to buy Macs and iPads.

As for the AppleWatch you don't need to have your iPhone with you if you're on a run or working out. Yes the device doesn't have GPS but it has sensors to track movement and I'm assuming those sensors could be used in the same way as a pedometer to track distance. So if you're a runner or just going to the gym the watch has music onboard and plenty of sensors as well. No iPhone needed for that.

Anyway all that to say iPods have been squeezed out by both the AppleWatch and Apple's entire iPhone line.