Samsung calls Apple's iPhone 6 Plus a Galaxy Note imitation in new ad

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
In a new commercial released on Saturday, Samsung expectedly calls Apple a copycat for releasing a larger-screened iPhone, specifically the iPhone 6 Plus, saying the new handset comes three years after the Galaxy Note introduced the "phablet" form factor.

The spot published to Samsung's YouTube channel starts off by recalling initial Galaxy Note reviews from 2011, when the device first debuted, citing assessments that dinged the gigantic smartphone for being too large and unwieldy for everyday use.

Samsung's narrator says, "now it's not being dismissed by competitors," a direct shot at Apple's new iPhone 6 Plus device. The ad moves on to tout a few Galaxy Note features, like inclusion of a stylus and multi-pane multitasking, before showing tweets that imply the new iPhone 6 Plus is merely derivative of Samsung's large-screened smartphone family. The commercial ends by noting the Galaxy Note 4 -- "The Next Big Thing is Here" -- comes out in October.

Since entering the smartphone market, Samsung has fielded a flotilla of devices with varying screen sizes in what seems to be a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach to differentiation. Despite a number of flops, the tactic has allowed the company to cherry-pick popular form factors and crow about being "first" to market.

The ad comes one day after Apple CEO Tim Cook told Charlie Rose in the first segment of a two-part interview that the company could have made a big-screened iPhone years ago, but decided to hold off until the pieces were in place to create a high-quality device.

"We could have done a larger iPhone years ago," Cook said in the interview. "It's never been about just making a larger phone. It's been making -- it's been about making a better phone in every single way. And so we ship things when they're ready, and we think that both the display technology here, the battery technology, but all -- but everything else and the software."

Saturday's spot is Samsung's second attempt to discredit Apple's new iPhones since the company debuted the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus at a special event last week. It took Samsung less than a day to write, shoot, edit a short campaign consisting of six short ads bashing Apple's new iPhones, the upcoming Apple Watch and the release event.

Apple kicked off preorders for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus last Friday to overwhelming demand. It appears Apple has sold out of stock allotted to preorder customers and is now quoting ship-by dates of up to three to four weeks for the iPhone 6 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 206
    What would this ad do to boost the sales on Note 4?
  • Reply 2 of 206
    Priceless. With apple being samsung's R&D department for 4 years they want to claim a larger screen as "innovation." What a load of crap. Can't wait til their mobile department is shut down. Rid the world of that virus.
  • Reply 3 of 206
    How do I say that- Great to see iPhone bigger display but isn't iPad the bigger display iPhone without phone? Or I should say Great to see bigger screen phone because smaller screen iPhone market got saturated? Or I should say, thanks samsung for making a much better iPhone experience :D
    No matter what I ordered iPhone 6 :p No one freaking cares about Korean company. All American household in some way or the other makes money from Apple stock, from mutual fund to pension fund to retirement funds. Plus you get a great phone and experience in your hand. Go America go :D
  • Reply 4 of 206
    1) Yes, thank you AI, I say that 4 hours ago on that website we aren't allowed to mention here (************)

2) So why hasn't Samsung released the iPhone 7s yet, if they're so 3 years ahead of 'the competition'¿

3) This ad could have been done so much better.
  • Reply 5 of 206
    Mmm ok so samsung didn't invent the screen and the size is just size, Apple waited and it came out with the biggest developer update, iOS 8, and that makes sense. With ? WATCH also being released it's another product to add for iOS 8 and XCode 6. As well as there being a one handed mode when it first came out not after people have complained about using the phone with one hand.
  • Reply 6 of 206
    Samsung copied every single thing about the iPhone, and they're calling Apple the imitators?? Talk about unethical behavior.
  • Reply 7 of 206
    Samsung showing off its usual gimmicks. Who can seriously watch a movie and do work at the same time? And who pulls out a stylus just to write 2 words, which looks like the most you can write given the screen size.
  • Reply 8 of 206
    Well Apple did cave to the Asian market fetish for big phablets.
  • Reply 9 of 206
    While I hate the attitude and tactics of this ad, it's actually pretty successful at attacking Apple I think. Suddenly Newton is right. It's one thing to add sizes for the sake of options, it's another to remove the smaller size and jump on the larger-is-better bandwagon wholesale.
  • Reply 10 of 206
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I think that it's great that Apple offers a super sized phone now!

Why were Android manufacturers going larger and larger in the first place?

I think that one reason is that they were unable to compete against the iPhone with a phone that was the same size, so most Android phones kept getting larger and larger. 

Now when idiotic Fandroids try to compare something like the battery life of a humongous Android phone to an iPhone, they had better do it against an iPhone 6+. The iPhone 6+ will obviously be the best large sized phone around now, and Samsung is obviously scared. 

• Reply 11 of 206
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Is it me or does the Galaxy S look like an iPhone?
  • Reply 12 of 206
    Samsung.....the most insecure company ever
  • Reply 13 of 206

The funny part is that the Galaxy Note 4 still doesn't have an actual release date or price, nor has anyone seen any final specs about the (presumed) U.S. and overseas variants. Yet, Samsung's claiming that it's "already here"?

This is the first of Samsung's recent attack ads that I've actually seen on TV, and it reeks of desperation. Declining unit sales, declining revenue, declining market share. And that was with Apple's A7-based iOS device debuts already close to one year in the rearview mirror.

Apple announced the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus AFTER Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 4, yet Apple will actually sell millions of those models before Samsung can even finalize their shipment date. Apple hasn't even hit the airwaves with its own ad blitz for the iPhone 6. Right now, Apple's ads just show the new U2 album and seem aimed at corraling iTunes users to check in with the iOS 8, Yosemite, and fall device debuts looming. This is merely the calm before the storm, and all Samsung can do try and conflate the iPhone 6 with the Note 2 (as if that will help), and rehash features that were already in prior Samsung models, and panned for being half-baked.

Just at an aesthetic level, these ads might come off as slightly less tacky and desperate if they switched narrators. Otherwise, it just confirms that these ads are written by and written for douchebags.

• Reply 14 of 206
    Well Apple have now decided small phones are not the market to go for (unless they keep the 5s form factor of course).
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
  • Reply 15 of 206
    Samdung =
    Epitome of audacious vulgarity !
  • Reply 16 of 206
    simply258 wrote: »
    Samsung showing off its usual gimmicks. Who can seriously watch a movie and do work at the same time? And who pulls out a stylus just to write 2 words, which looks like the most you can write given the screen size.

With iPhone 6+ coming, we will see how relevant that stylus will be.

That ad is totally offf. Samsung is copying Apple all the time mostly on software but recently they started to go copy with hardware as well. People are buying the note only because of specs. Bigger phone=better specs as it is better than that years s release.

What is ridiculous that basically only noticeable thing samsung had done with note 4 was improving the camera and adding last-gen Apple iPhone 5 bezel. The display is supposed to be improved to QHD which you can show to your friends under a microscope. The performance is bassically unchanged from note 3. You got about 17% faster processing and 65% faster graphics which is negated by that QHD. You got 2% bigger battery and another crapload of useless gimmicks (honnestly I think that pen is a big waste of internal space=smaller battery) to fill up that 32GB of base memmory.

So while Apple is going to kick out the doors of the + bussiness, samsung did things above or bassically not that much of an improvement at all. And if the note 3 was already struggling and selling just a bit more than note 2 against a 4" phone, what will the note 4 with few significant improvements do against 6+ ?

I think samsung is so arrogant that they think a negative advertizing campaign is enough save their not so much better note 4.
  • Reply 17 of 206
    Sales 101: NEVER sell by belittling your competition. It makes you look so desperate and pathetic. It's astonishing that nobody @ a corporation the size of Samsung gets this. In the end they're doing Apple a favor. It really does make Samsung look bad.
  • Reply 18 of 206
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Somehow, Samsung always manages to make its next ad more pathetic than the previous, which is stunning. These ads have the feel of a drowning person's last, frantic, desperate flails. Size was pretty much the #1 thing Samsung was using to bash Apple these last few years, and thats being taken away from them. All they have left is the shitty stylus, and their horrific "multitasking" gimmicks. Because, you know, I've always wanted to watch a movie trailer that takes up 1/6th of my phone's screen while replying to email. As well resizing windows on my phone using a pen.  It's just such a rational, enjoyable, and practical thing to do.

I'm not sure what the worst thing was about this ad. The nauseatingly smug voice of the narrator? The confusing messaging? The fact that they actually showed off tweets they paid for as part of the ad (with 4 retweets!) in order to bash the iPhone and promote their product? The fact that they're advertising to everyone that Apple now has a bigger phone?

Samsung must be horrified at the fact that the "tiny" 5S mopped the floor with anything they released sales wise. Now, they're completely fucked and they know it. Touch ID, Apple Pay, 2nd gen 64 bit cpus, iOS8, a massive increase in extensibility, 3 screen sizes, etc. All they have left is their shit software gimmicks implemented on an OS they don't even control, and hardware that doesn't seem so impressive anymore and unable to touch iPhone in critical areas like biometrics, energy efficiency, performance, build quality, camera, etc. Samsung used to at least be able to run a list of hardware features the iPhone was lacking. Now there's nothing left. Completely fucked. 

• Reply 19 of 206
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cotsis View Post

Sales 101: NEVER sell by belittling your competition. It makes you look so desperate and pathetic. It's astonishing that nobody @ a corporation the size of Samsung gets this. In the end they're doing Apple a favor. It really does make Samsung look bad.

Seriously? What were you saying in the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" days? For once, Samsung does kind of have a point.

• Reply 20 of 206
    jusephe wrote: »
    With iPhone 6+ coming, we will see how relevant that stylus will be.

That ad is totally offf. Samsung is copying Apple all the time mostly on software but recently they started to go copy with hardware as well. People are buying the note only because of specs. Bigger phone=better specs as it is better than that years s release.

What is ridiculous that basically only noticeable thing samsung had done with note 4 was improving the camera and adding last-gen Apple iPhone 5 bezel. The display is supposed to be improved to QHD which you can show to your friends under a microscope. The performance is bassically unchanged from note 3. You got about 17% faster processing and 65% faster graphics which is negated by that QHD. You got 2% bigger battery and another crapload of useless gimmicks (honnestly I think that pen is a big waste of internal space=smaller battery) to fill up that 32GB of base memmory.

So while Apple is going to kick out the doors of the + bussiness, samsung did things above or bassically not that much of an improvement at all. And if the note 3 was already struggling and selling just a bit more than note 2 against a 4" phone, what will the note 4 with few significant improvements do against 6+ ?

I think samsung is so arrogant that they think a negative advertizing campaign is enough save their not so much better note 4.

1) It look like Samsung hasn't used PenTile on the Note since the original. That's good.

2) I have no problem with a stylus as there are countless applications for such a tool, but I don't believe it should be included with the device or have a built-in hole to store it. It should be an as-needed basis for those that would use it. And unfortunately, even with a Wacom digitizer and Samsung-made APIs to create apps suited for it I don't there is any real market for it. I would love for Apple to adopt this or something similar so that better styluses can be used. Perhaps the ?Watch with its pressure sensitive display is an indication of things to come. Next month when the iPads are updated?