Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reach record 4 million preorders in first day

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Apple's 2014 smartphone lineup is already off to a record start, with 4 million preorders taken for both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in their first 24 hours of availability, leading up to this Friday's launch.

The company said on Monday that demand for its newest iPhones has already exceeded the initial preorder supply, and many orders placed are scheduled to ship in October. The comments may suggest that Apple's initial launch weekend sales figures will be held back by supply rather than demand.

"iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are better in every way, and we are thrilled customers love them as much as we do," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO.""Pre-orders for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus set a new record for Apple, and we can't wait to get our best iPhones yet into the hands of customers starting this Friday."

Last year, Apple sold 9 million iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c units in their launch weekend. That easily exceeded the record 5 million iPhone 5 units the company sold on that device's launch weekend in 2012.

When the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus become available this Friday, additional units will be available at Apple Stores and other retail partners for walk-in customers. The handset arrives first in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the U.K.

iPhone 6, 6+

Apple also announced on Monday that 20 additional countries will get the iPhone 6 starting the following Friday, Sept. 26. They include Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.

The company had already revealed last week that overnight preorders of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were at record levels. Last Friday, Apple characterized demand for its new, bigger phones as "incredible."

Demand was so strong that Apple and its carrier partners' websites experienced a number of problems accepting customer orders. Such issues have occurred every year since the first iPhone launched in 2007, with demand for Apple's latest models only growing each year.

As of Monday morning, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is advertised to ship within 7 to 10 business days, while the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus will ship in 3 to 4 weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 97
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Hardly surprising, but still a very impressive number. They finally came out with a redesigned case, lots of people are vain and won't upgrade until people can see that they have the latest and greatest.

Also, there are two models of the flagship as opposed to the usual one.
  • Reply 2 of 97
    Wait... 4M pre-orders in 24 hours????

But I thought this was just a rehash of a 2012 google phone?!?!!?!?
  • Reply 3 of 97
    Only 4 million? Apple is doomed. Wait, what? Remember last year China was in the list. This is massive.
  • Reply 4 of 97
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Let's see...Steve Jobs wouldn't have and Apple is doomed. Does that about cover it? :D
  • Reply 5 of 97
    Bazinga!!!
  • Reply 6 of 97

Go Apple!! Two iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb Gold ordered! I am just waiting to hear the news when Samsung's market share drops next quarter.

• Reply 7 of 97
    They are selling these phones to people who are already apple fans.
  • Reply 8 of 97
    If I recall correctly, the previous record was 4 million over a weekend.

Now, it's that number in 24 hours.

Pretty impressive, but as was said above me, hardly surprising.
  • Reply 9 of 97

Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like. 

• Reply 10 of 97
    That's 22 countries... Congrats to Apple especially without China being in there this year. It's going to be insane numbers when they roll out to all countries. New Zealand is getting it but not Australia? LOL that must be because they took them to court over their AU pricing vs. their much cheaper US pricing.
  • Reply 11 of 97
    adonissmu wrote: »
    They are selling these phones to people who are already apple fans.

Yes, Apple has a way of creating them. It's what happens when you actually give a damn about what you're putting your name to.
  • Reply 12 of 97
    mubaili wrote: »
    Only 4 million? Apple is doomed. Wait, what? Remember last year China was in the list. This is massive.

I was thinking the same. This 4 million is WITHOUT CHINA.

This iPhone launch is going to be amazing
  • Reply 13 of 97
    I'm kind of surprised at such a low number because the site was down for hours at a time for most people. Maybe they should've fixed that and been more prepared. Seems like they were asleep at the wheel friday.
  • Reply 14 of 97
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    simtub wrote: »
    Go Apple!! Two iPhone 6 Plus 16Gb Gold ordered! I am just waiting to hear the news when Samsung's market share drops next quarter.

I expect that Apple will be eating Samsung's lunch in a big way this year. The S5 was a flop, and now Apple has "copied" the only "innovative"* thing Samsung has brought to the smartphone market, the larger screen size.

*note: a larger screen is not really innovation.
  • Reply 15 of 97
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 wrote: »
    But,But,but,but,butt,butter.....thought no one wants large phones?

I thought all wanted 4 inch phones? huh?
    That's why it's "only" 4 mil. Otherwise, it would've been 6-8 mil.
  • Reply 16 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

I think as soon as China is onboard, the off-contract will be available.  I think they want to curb the grey maarket of people who buy unlocked iPhone in the US and sell them in China.

• Reply 17 of 97
    Lame. Samsung Galaxy S3 had 9 million pre-orders.

It then went on to sell 10 million in 55 days. Sooooooooo they sold 9 million right away, but it took another 55 days to get the next 1 million?
  • Reply 18 of 97
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Seems like they were asleep at the wheel friday.

It wasn't Apple's fault.

It was a DDoS:

Deliberately Don't Order Samsung.
  • Reply 19 of 97
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But,But,but,but,butt,butter.....thought no one wants large phones?

I thought all wanted 4 inch phones? huh?

I wanted a 4" iPhone, but Apple did not really give me an option. I suppose I could've bought the 5s, but I want to have a device that I can expect 3 years solid use out of just like the 4s that I am replacing.

I'm very disappointed that Apple decided to ignore all of the people that want a 4" device, especially after all of their valid points about one handed operation.

Won't pretend that I was forced to buy an iPhone 6, but as I am an Apple centric kind of person it makes sense to stay with the iPhone.

• Reply 20 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Wow, that's really, really surprising.

In the UK you can buy off contract, outright from launch day.

I'm really surprised Apple force U.S customers into 2 year contract near launch time, that's not what I would expect from them.