Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reach record 4 million preorders in first day

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's a scam when you're paying monthly for the phone, plus a monthly service fee that's the same as the subsidized price. One is paying for the phone twice.

Except that, like pmz states, you're not paying the same...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Except that's not how it works at all. People that opt for NEXT pay $15-25 per month less for the SERVICE.

Quote:

Not on VZW, which the OP did mention.

You are 100% correct. Verizon is $10/month less on plans of 8 GB or less, $25/month less on plans of 10 GB or more...  TOTALLY not the same thing...

Facts are important, people! Feel free to rant and rave all you want, but the facts are so incredibly easy for you to find on the very device you are using to complain.

• Reply 42 of 97
    sestewart wrote: »
    Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like. 

If you went into an at&t store you could have ordered at full retail no contract pricing. Or if you signed up for installments you could have paid it off for the full retail amount at any time. Effectively no contract price.
  • Reply 43 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Reason to buy an off-contract phone at a carrier is because of the way AT&T and Verizon price their mobile-share plans. Below is AT&T's "Next" program, which the smart phone access charge for 10Gb pricing is 15$ as opposed to on-contract pricing of 40$. 

However, the only plans available in the US from AT&T or Apple are 12 year/24 month financing options through AT&T Next. Which still keeps you in a financing agreement with the carrier for 1 year or 2 years, depending on your financing, either a 20 installment plan of 37.50 or a 24 installment plan of 31.25. 

The caveat to the Next/Edge plans is they assume you will trade in your device after 12 months or 18 months, so you get the "trade in value". If you're not the kind of person that trades off your devices, but hangs onto them as a back-up or gifts them to another family member, then Next is really not a great option. However, with AT&T's plan, you pay no down-payment, only sales tax. 

Can't speak to AT&T (I have Verizon) but how is it not a great option? I will be paying 20 installments of $37.49 on Verizon Edge for a 64 GB iPhone 6. In 20 months, when it is paid off, it is mine. My wife, if she makes the next 2 years with my 5 (she is taking my 5 and we will be adding a line on her 4S for my daughter), she will get my 6, and I will get a 7.

• Reply 44 of 97
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Can't speak to AT&T (I have Verizon) but how is it not a great option? I will be paying 20 installments of $37.49 on Verizon Edge for a 64 GB iPhone 6. In 20 months, when it is paid off, it is mine. My wife, if she makes the next 2 years with my 5 (she is taking my 5 and we will be adding a line on her 4S for my daughter), she will get my 6, and I will get a 7.

With AT&T at least, its a fantastic option. I do not think Verizon is AS compelling....but both are still great options.

• Reply 45 of 97
    starbird73 wrote: »
    Except that, like pmz states, you're not paying the same...

You are 100% correct. Verizon is $10/month less on plans of 8 GB or less, $25/month less on plans of 10 GB or more...  TOTALLY not the same thing...

Facts are important, people! Feel free to rant and rave all you want, but the facts are so incredibly easy for you to find on the very device you are using to complain.

It's still a facade. You think you're getting a deal when you're not. It's set up so that you're perpetually paying the monthly installment for the phone.
  • Reply 46 of 97
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

They are selling these phones to people who are already apple fans.

Not all of them. Every year Apple sells more iPhones than previously. That means that there are people who are getting iPhones for the first time.

Also, remember that the world population is growing. That means every year there are more potential cellphone users.

• Reply 47 of 97
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    adonissmu wrote: »

Troll hard.
    sestewart wrote: »
    Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

I pre ordered my iPhone off contract. Mainly because my unlimited data plan.
    adonissmu wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised at such a low number because the site was down for hours at a time for most people. Maybe they should've fixed that and been more prepared. Seems like they were asleep at the wheel friday.

Troll harder.
    serendip wrote: »
    Previous record was 9m during opening weekend.

I'm not sure how I feel about 4m in 24 hours. Apple is deliberately avoiding comparison with previous weekend numbers so does it not compare well against the previous number of 9m opening weekend or do they just want people to be in the fog guessing (adds to excitement)? Also, it's unlikely they maintained 4m per day over the weekend so the 12m whisper number is likely out the door. I watched the store closely and it wasn't until late Sunday that delivery for all models/configurations became unavailable opening day. As late as Sunday afternoon you could get the Verizon gold 128gb 6 on opening day.

On the other hand, the online mess this year seemed to be longer then previous years so the 24 hour number may actually be impressive given how long people had to wait until the systems settled down.

This wasn't the opening weekend. This was just for preorders.
  • Reply 48 of 97

That is not an "off-contract" price. Your Edge/Next pricing is financed through payment installments. 

T-Mobile is the only carrier that Apple allows a true "off contract" offer. 

• Reply 49 of 97
    Quote:

It's still a facade. You think you're getting a deal when you're not. It's set up so that you're perpetually paying the monthly installment for the phone.

But you are still paying the same amount for the phone as buying it unlocked, all at once. They take the 649/749/849 price and divide it by however many months you pay for it.

Currently, we are paying nothing for our phones, (AT&T) and each line costs us $15 for access to the mobile share. I could go in and buy a new phone for 749 all at once or pay 31.20/month for 24 months through the Next plan, plus the $15 access as I was already doing. If you want to keep the phone when you upgrade (Or cancel service), you pay off the remaining balance on the phone: paying a total of $749.

• Reply 50 of 97
    Quote:

It has been my experience that unlocked phones are not available at launch either online or in the stores. They do become available after the first six to eight weeks.

Last year, for a 5S, when the unlocked T-Mobile phones became available, I ordered one and took it to the AT&T store and they changed out the SIM and put it on my account with my phone number.

This year, I noticed that the unlocked (Contract-free) T-Mobile models are available for pre-order here in the USA with three to four week delivery times.

• Reply 51 of 97
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Why is it a scam?  Can you detail?  It seems like a good deal when you add up the payments vs just having me pay it all at the same time.

It's not really a scam, but paying over time is a bit ridiculous if you can afford to buy it outright.

The most important thing is that AT&T won't unlock the phone until it is fully paid off, which is bad for people who travel internationally and want to use local cellular service. Rather than pay for a spendy international plan, I'd rather get something like a T-Mobile Megaklax SIM (1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 1GB of data for €10 (about $13). The phone needs to be unlocked to use that SIM.

I travel internationally a couple of times a year, so having some phone that is locked during a two-year contract is decidedly lame.

• Reply 52 of 97

You were able to buy off contract, I bought two. The iPhone + 128GB is $949. I could have gotten mine for $499 and re-signed but this is the first year I will not be doing that. ATT will take $15-25 off your monthly bill once your contract is up and then next year I can buy the latest on contract for $499 if I want to go back that route. I think it's cheaper to buy outright.

• Reply 53 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

And this is the reason why Samsung is losing market share, because their  current owners are ditching their crappy phones. The name of the game is keeping your current customers happy by selling a quality device. It is becoming more known that Samsung's quality is not as good as Apple's and that the S4, S5 start to malfunction as they age. Thats what you get buying a low quality, plastic case with inferior components inside

• Reply 54 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

Previous record was 9m during opening weekend.

I'm not sure how I feel about 4m in 24 hours. Apple is deliberately avoiding comparison with previous weekend numbers so does it not compare well against the previous number of 9m opening weekend or do they just want people to be in the fog guessing (adds to excitement)? Also, it's unlikely they maintained 4m per day over the weekend so the 12m whisper number is likely out the door. I watched the store closely and it wasn't until late Sunday that delivery for all models/configurations became unavailable opening day. As late as Sunday afternoon you could get the Verizon gold 128gb 6 on opening day.

On the other hand, the online mess this year seemed to be longer then previous years so the 24 hour number may actually be impressive given how long people had to wait until the systems settled down.

Ah, thank you for the correction, Serendip. 

• Reply 55 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I've realized that the android commercials are not about getting new customers, it's about trying to retain the ones they have by making fun of people who become apple fans

Thats is the best way I have seen that stated, that makes sense, because the commercials just insult my choice of product or my intellect, they must be for someone else.

• Reply 56 of 97
    Quote:

How so? I have, much like a mortgage provides you, a complete amortization schedule. Shows month one being at $37.68, and then month's 2-20 at $37.49. In other words, $749.99. In months 21-24, my bill will drop $37.49.

And, as I stated, instead of $40/month for 24 months on contract (and paying $299 for the iPhone), I am paying $15/month. I did the math. Doing it the Verizon Edge way will save me $150 over the course of 24 months (assuming I stick to my plan and keep this phone for 2 years like I always have). Plus, there is no "$35 upgrade fee", so the savings is $185 plus the $300 charge for the iPhone.

10 GB Plan is the same either way. But having the 10 GB plan gets me a $25/month discount on my line on the Edge (or month to month).

* On a traditional contract, I pay $300 for an iPhone 6 on contract, plus $35 upgrade fee, plus $40/month for 24 months, for a total of $1,595

* On Verizon Edge, I pay $750 for an iPhone 6, plus $15/month for 24 months, for a total of $1,110 (

• Reply 57 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

It's not really a scam, but paying over time is a bit ridiculous if you can afford to buy it outright.

The most important thing is that AT&T won't unlock the phone until it is fully paid off, which is bad for people who travel internationally and want to use local cellular service. Rather than pay for a spendy international plan, I'd rather get something like a T-Mobile Megaklax SIM (1000 minutes, 1000 texts, 1GB of data for €10 (about $13). The phone needs to be unlocked to use that SIM.

I travel internationally a couple of times a year, so having some phone that is locked during a two-year contract is decidedly lame.

Ah, didn't know that. Verizon's is unlocked (well the 5 and 5S were, i assume the 6 will be)

• Reply 58 of 97
    starbird73 wrote: »

How so? I have, much like a mortgage provides you, a complete amortization schedule. Shows month one being at $37.68, and then month's 2-20 at $37.49. In other words, $749.99. In months 21-24, my bill will drop $37.49.

And, as I stated, instead of $40/month for 24 months on contract (and paying $299 for the iPhone), I am paying $15/month. I did the math. Doing it the Verizon Edge way will save me $150 over the course of 24 months (assuming I stick to my plan and keep this phone for 2 years like I always have). Plus, there is no "$35 upgrade fee", so the savings is $185 plus the $300 charge for the iPhone.

10 GB Plan is the same either way. But having the 10 GB plan gets me a $25/month discount on my line on the Edge (or month to month).

* On a traditional contract, I pay $300 for an iPhone 6 on contract, plus $35 upgrade fee, plus $40/month for 24 months, for a total of $1,595
    * On Verizon Edge, I pay $750 for an iPhone 6, plus $15/month for 24 months, for a total of $1,110 (

Good info, thanks. I stand corrected.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple also announced on Monday that 20 additional countries will get the iPhone 6 starting the following Friday, Sept. 26. They include Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey and United Arab Emirates.

The company had already revealed last week that overnight preorders of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were at record levels. Last Friday, Apple characterized demand for its new, bigger phones as "incredible."

As of Monday morning, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is advertised to ship within 7 to 10 business days, while the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus will ship in 3 to 4 weeks.

Why do they release to more countries on Sept 26 instead of supplying AT&T with the sold and paid for inventory!!? My ip6 5.5" 128GB shipping date is 10/13/14 - 10/22/14!

• Reply 60 of 97
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

How is it collusion? You can go to Apple's website and buy an unlocked phone. The carriers sell service, not phones. Of course you either bring your own device, or you sign up to one of their services and get a device either subsidized, or under a payment plan.