Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reach record 4 million preorders in first day

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm kind of surprised at such a low number because the site was down for hours at a time for most people. Maybe they should've fixed that and been more prepared. Seems like they were asleep at the wheel friday.

Or maybe they were handling 47 preorders per SECOND. Maybe that was the problem. Maybe you should go back to bed.

• Reply 62 of 97
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justp1ayin View Post

I've realized that the android commercials are not about getting new customers, it's about trying to retain the ones they have by making fun of people who become apple fans

Exactly, it's a method of consoling those who might begin to feel buyer's remorse. Since they can't keep customers by making products they want to use, they try to make them feel better in other ways. This is where these commercials, the BOGO offers, gimmicky features, etc. come into play.

Apple's commercials attempt to show how their products enrich the lives of their users.

Samsung's commercials are just rude attempts at demonstrating how their users are better off by luring them into a false sense of superiority.

• Reply 63 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

How so? I have, much like a mortgage provides you, a complete amortization schedule. Shows month one being at $37.68, and then month's 2-20 at $37.49. In other words, $749.99. In months 21-24, my bill will drop $37.49.

And, as I stated, instead of $40/month for 24 months on contract (and paying $299 for the iPhone), I am paying $15/month. I did the math. Doing it the Verizon Edge way will save me $150 over the course of 24 months (assuming I stick to my plan and keep this phone for 2 years like I always have). Plus, there is no "$35 upgrade fee", so the savings is $185 plus the $300 charge for the iPhone.

10 GB Plan is the same either way. But having the 10 GB plan gets me a $25/month discount on my line on the Edge (or month to month).

* On a traditional contract, I pay $300 for an iPhone 6 on contract, plus $35 upgrade fee, plus $40/month for 24 months, for a total of $1,595

* On Verizon Edge, I pay $750 for an iPhone 6, plus $15/month for 24 months, for a total of $1,110 (

Ignorant people always think they are getting scammed by "the man".  I had to respond to a commenter on CNN which believed that banks are just trying to scam them out of their money because of all the interest they charge. Ugh. Some people are just stupid, and you can't fix stupid.

• Reply 64 of 97
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

There is no scam.

The only "scam" is paying $949 for a phone plus tax just to have the privilege of what? Switching carriers every other month? Because that's necessary? Or makes any sense at all?

It depends of the business model of the carrier.  In my country (Belgium), 90%  of the people are buying unlocked smart phones.  This implies that mobile carries are offering cheaper contracts: I pay 5 Euro / month for 120 minutes of calls, 2GB data traffic and 10K texting messages, which is sufficient for me. I don't switch carriers very often, but I do switch regularly between my iPhone 5 and my Huawei Ascend P6 (just swapping the Sim card and it works).  As such I have a pretty good insight about which phone is performing better than the other.  For me the only price I care about is the unlocked price. For the iPhone 6 these are 699 Euro(16GB), 799 Euro (64GB), 899 Euro (128GB). For the iPhone 6 plus the prices are 799, 899, and 999 Euro.  These prices are pretty high, and roughly 150 Euro more expensive than the unlocked Samsung S5  and Samsung Note 4  respectively

• Reply 65 of 97
    ismofam wrote: »
    Why do they release to more countries on Sept 26 instead of supplying AT&T with the sold and paid for inventory!!? My ip6 5.5" 128GB s<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);line-height:1.4em;">hipping date is</span>
    10/13/14 - 10/22/14!

Because if they waited until demand is fulfilled the rest of the world won't get the iPhone until 2015.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Good info, thanks. I stand corrected.

Glad I could help. I am all about helping the mis-information vanish.

One note. If you don't wait 12 months and 100% paid for, you can't keep the phone. I think at 12 months if paid off, and definitely at 20 months, the phone is yours to do with as you please
  • Reply 67 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why is it that everyone that thinks they're beating the system (but actually getting screwed) by buying off contract phones has to criticize the sensible methods that have been put in place for people to purchase smartphones?

I don't know how it works in the USA, but in Canada the only way to get a "subsidized" iPhone is to subscribe to a premium plan.

Not only does the difference in plan rates compared to BYOD over the 24 months add up to more than you "save" on the phone, the premium plans max out at 1GB of data charge twice as much for over-limit consumption.

I don't think anyone is disputing the relative cost, what gets people upset is the carriers' attempts to obfuscate the fact that you're really just paying for the phone anyway (it's not a subsidy, it's financing), instead of just offering a transparent way of combining the best plan for any particular individual with a way to spread out the cost of the phone. If they would just be honest about the real cost and split out the phone from the plan, I think you'd see fewer complaints.

As it is now, it's LESS expensive over two years to buy the phone outright and subscribe to a value plan, and the buyer has much more flexibility in customizing their plan.

EDIT: It sounds like the NEXT plan may be the kind of thing I'm describing.

• Reply 68 of 97
    Why is so difficult for them to add a sd card reader? I want to be able to have all my music, mostly flacs, and movies in my phone. I do not want to use iCloud because a movie will eat all my data plan. I really like the iPhone 6 plus but I guess I have to keep my gs3. Maybe increasing the internal storage to 128gb will be a good solution too
  • Reply 69 of 97
    cropr wrote: »
    It depends of the business model of the carrier.  In my country (Belgium), 90%  of the people are buying unlocked smart phones.  This implies that mobile carries are offering cheaper contracts: I pay 5 Euro / month for 120 minutes of calls, 2GB data traffic and 10K texting messages, which is sufficient for me. I don't switch carriers very often, but I do switch regularly between my iPhone 5 and my Huawei Ascend P6 (just swapping the Sim card and it works).  As such I have a pretty good insight about which phone is performing better than the other.  For me the only price I care about is the unlocked price. For the iPhone 6 these are 699 Euro(16GB), 799 Euro (64GB), 899 Euro (128GB). For the iPhone 6 plus the prices are 799, 899, and 999 Euro.  These prices are pretty high, and roughly 150 Euro more expensive than the unlocked Samsung S5  and Samsung Note 4  respectively

So they are less than 25% more than a cheap plastic phone. I think that is pretty good value.
  • Reply 70 of 97

sheesh that's crafty! Talk about hiding the option as much as possible !

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

>

Well, that is just complete rubbish, and inaccurate rubbish at that... At 3 AM EST, I was able to preorder, through Verizon, an off contract iPhone 6. I, however, chose to go to the edge plan.

But I don't expect you to take my word for it, so, here is a screenshot. I know, nasty little facts spoiling your conspiracy theory.

(I will admit it does not initially come up, but there is pretty clear text available, and clicking it brings up the second image).

>

• Reply 71 of 97
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    I've realized that the android commercials are not about getting new customers, it's about trying to retain the ones they have by making fun of people who become apple fans

Samsung does anyway. They imagine that by talking smack about Apple, they'll endear themselves to Android users. But not all Android users hate Apple; just the ones who troll on tech sites.
  • Reply 72 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

Yes, i said collude. Which is exactly what this smells like. 

Which is EXACTLY why I placed my pre-order phone with T-Mobile. Buh-by Verizon! 

• Reply 73 of 97
    wdowell wrote: »

I agree it is not as in your face, but hardly hidden.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Still no "off-contract" pricing available on AT&T or Verizon carriers, they're forcing customers into either 2 year contracts or their "next/edge" financing scams. 

It's very irritating that carriers forced customers into BYOD off contract pricing to lower monthly bills over the past year, then they collude with Apple to not offer off-contract pricing at product launch. No where can you buy an off-contract phone for a carrier other than T-Mobile. 

I'm no fan of AT&T, but I think the Next pricing works out to be the same as the no contract full retail pricing and there is no pre-pay penalty (so you can own the phone and sell it a year from now, not be forced to return it as part of an upgrade).

You also can keep your $15 per month smartphone fee if you have the promo rate from last year, and not pay the current $25 per smartphone device fee now being collected. There is no contract and no cancellation fee.

• Reply 75 of 97
    Reply to @sestewart
    I had the same issue with ATT.
    Just order the phone with NEXT and pay in full when they bill you.
    Problem solved.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

Wait... 4M pre-orders in 24 hours????

But I thought this was just a rehash of a 2012 google phone?!?!!?!?

Actually, it's a rehash of the Dell Streak 5.

Samsung (and others) copied the Dell Streak's 5's 5-inch screen.

It took Apple to actually get it right.

Speaking of Dell, maybe it's time for a "Where Are They Now?" about them.

And next quarter, looks like there could be a "Where Are They Now?" about Samsung.

Lulzies.

• Reply 77 of 97

So when will we see the SAMSUNG commercial about this? Don't they have anything to say about 4 MILLION (WOW) phones in 24 hours?

• Reply 78 of 97
    You c
    sestewart wrote: »

You can buy an off contract and unlocked iPhone on Apple's website! It works on T-Mobile as well as AT&T (GSM).
  • Reply 79 of 97

The numbers this year are influenced by a factor we've never seen before: "I wanna see them both in person and feel them in my hand before I decide which size I want." I've heard that at least a dozen times already. If that's a common theme, there are a lot of buyers out there who won't show up in the "first wave" numbers but will create one hell of an aftershock.

• Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But,But,but,but,butt,butter.....thought no one wants large phones?

I thought all wanted 4 inch phones? huh?

Steve Jobs said no one wants a large phone. Not sure if anyone else said it.