Apple's A8 SoC likely carrying new 6-core PowerVR GPU, clocked at 1.4GHz with 1GB RAM

Comments

• Reply 41 of 269
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for the info.

I always recall that Steve had a secret team running Mac OS on Intel in parallel to the Power PC years before it was known. I can't help wonder if there might be a skunk works team deep underground already running OS X on an secret new Apple chip as we speak.

sigh.

You know that Mac OS was ported FROM Intel (White NeXTSTEP) to the G3.   It wasn't that secret.

• Reply 42 of 269
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

More concerning is the 1GB RAM. 

No it isn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

what do I know!

Precisely my thinking.

• Reply 43 of 269
    2GB of Ram would have allwoed proper multi-tasking and even 2 or more tabs to be actually running in the web browser.
    Heavens forbid, we could have even had a desktop mode setting in Safari.

I guess there is always 2016 or 2017 to think of.

iOS 8 does have a desktop mode in safari.
  • Reply 44 of 269
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

1gb of ram only???? for a phone that costs between $700 and 1000?? what do we need to wait 3 years and beg again for more ram as we did for larger screens?

It's all about user experience. Apps, if written well and efficiently, do not need more memory. Just throwing more RAM into a device does not solve anything, it only changes the spec. However, more RAM would mean potentially an app not needing to reload with app switching; i.e. reloading a web site when switching from another app. 

• Reply 45 of 269

It is kind of pointless to get hung up on 'amount of RAM.'   What matters are the primary factors.

Primary factors:

Performance

Price

Battery Life

Screen quality

Screen size

Phone size

Secondaries that don't really matter:

Amount of RAM

Number of Cores

Clock Speed

Number of bits

Battery efficiency

Somebody could build a 1 kb, single core, 8 bit phone with a 1maH battery.

If it is faster, battery lasts longer, has a beautiful screen that works well with no bezel, and costs $2.... it is going to do well :p

I'm sure Apple tested more memory, and evaluated the price/performance gain and decided on 1 GB using their own process.  My guess is the iPhone 6 is going to be a performance beast any way you slice it.

Curious to see how the Note 4 and iPhone 6 will stack up against each other in the 'primary factors.'  The iPhone 6 could pull substantially ahead.

• Reply 46 of 269
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Some have said that third parties could always recompile their software for OS X over ARM, but as usual, that's just a pipe dream, and XCode would need to support that. Small, simple, apps can often be run through, and will work with little work afterwards. But major apps will take months to fix up, and the question is how many developers will want to make another change.

Xcode is easy. It already does both x86 and ARM.

But getting major apps recompiled is insufficient. Just with the PPC -> x86 transition, this would need Rosetta. That was built by Transitive and licensed by Apple, but the company was acquired and the new owners did not want to renew the license.

It's interesting that the new owner just happens to be IBM. With whom Apple recently made a deal. Very interesting indeed.

• Reply 47 of 269
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

The A7 is already a beast, beating out Samsung's latest flagships in benchmarks. Although the A8 has a significant performance increase, I'm glad they focused on power efficiency, since it will actually give a much larger practical, day to day benefit as compared to more performance. 

• Reply 48 of 269
    Not my area of knowledge at all, but can someone explain if these babies are even close to being able to run OS X?

With the most powerful mobile processor on the market, they might be able to run Android. I remember installing 1.6 on my first gen iPhone. Even with the best hardware on the market and the most accurate touchscreen, it lagged like nobody’s business and my Q and P keys couldn’t be touched.

See, not even good HW can safe Android¡
    saarek wrote: »
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    And lets not forget the power usage implications...

True, but I'd be happier with the same thickness as the iPhone 5S with a bigger battery and 2gb+ or Ram.

I love Mr Ive's designs, but he frequently seems to choose form over function when it comes to the thickness of a device.

This was the same in 2012 with the 5, and turned out to be a non-issue. Let's first have people post their experience after using it for a few days before making any assumptions.

john.b wrote: »
    AI, if you are going to run a story based solely on Ryan Smith's story on AnandTech, you owe it to them at least provide a link: 

AnandTech | Analyzing Apple’s A8 SoC: PowerVR GX6650 & More

All the while blocking 9to5mac URL's and not mentioning the source of many articles here coming from them. That's simply...wrong.
  • Reply 49 of 269
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The word is that the texas FAB that Apple paid Samsung to build is currently undergoing renovations to prepare for 16nm development so it is offline and that pretty much tells you that Apple is using the supplier from Taiwan.  Switching process systems is no trivial matter at this level of production. Apple probably made this processor update as simple as possible to make the yeild curve easier to manage.  I would not be surprised if Apple used Samsung to develope the processor for the next generation processor in their pipeline. Intel has seperate teams working on each tick and tock for the next 5 years.  That means they have 5 seperate teams working on new processors.  

Keeping both fabs busy would make them have to compete for each design win.  It would also allow Apple to demand more concessions such as building stronger firewalls between the teams working with Apple and the rest of Samsung's management.  The partnership between Apple and Samsung was very important to both companies.  Samsung has had much higher quality than their competitors in screens, SSD's and semiconductor manufacturing. Intel is too greedy to make an alliance work with Apple.  Having two processors producing chips for Apple's products would also allow for a faster ramp on new designs.  It is not hard to imagine that Taiwan would get the basic iPhone chips, and iPad chips.  Samsung could supply the Apple phone, iPhone plus, and the next generation apple hardware.   The way Moores law is collapsing it may be necessary to hedge your bets to make sure product introductions and or feature sets don't get delayed by problems scaling down to successively smaller geometries.  

Samsung has nothing to do with developing Apple's chips. Samsung didn't even know the A7 was a 64 bit chip until after it came out, and they built it!
  • Reply 50 of 269
    The extra transistors are from the larger GPU, the extra image sensors, and the hardware for H.265 encoding and decoding, most likely.

Yes, the extra work on the newer GPU could add another 25%. What extra image sensors? The hardware for 265 would be mostly the same hardware as for 264.
  • Reply 51 of 269
    sigh.

You know that Mac OS was ported FROM Intel (White NeXTSTEP) to the G3.   It wasn't that secret.

It was first used on the Moto 68xxx chips. Then, when Next discontinued its hardware, it moved to x86.
  • Reply 52 of 269
    plovell wrote: »
    Xcode is easy. It already does both x86 and ARM.

But getting major apps recompiled is insufficient. Just with the PPC -> x86 transition, this would need Rosetta. That was built by Transitive and licensed by Apple, but the company was acquired and the new owners did not want to renew the license.

It's interesting that the new owner just happens to be IBM. With whom Apple recently made a deal. Very interesting indeed.

Yes, it does both, but will it recompile ARM to x86?, and visa versa?
  • Reply 53 of 269
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Cue the AI experts telling Apple it needs more RAM .... image

Not my area of knowledge at all, but can someone explain if these babies are even close to being able to run OS X?

Of course it needs more RAM - I am tired of seeing Safari reloading EVERY SINGLE open tab whenever I use it.

Unless we are supposed to install this again:

http://tidbits.com/article/837

• Reply 54 of 269

Irrelevant here.  I want a round Apple Watch! :D

• Reply 55 of 269
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

It's all about user experience. Apps, if written well and efficiently, do not need more memory. Just throwing more RAM into a device does not solve anything, it only changes the spec. However, more RAM would mean potentially an app not needing to reload with app switching; i.e. reloading a web site when switching from another app. 

Currently, 1GB of RAM DOES impact user experience across the board; particularly when using Safari, whose always-reloading behavior when visiting even basic websites is completely unacceptable. Unless the "geniuses" in this forum still want us to believe that this is NOT due to insufficient RAM, of course...

• Reply 56 of 269
    melgross wrote: »
    Samsung didn't even know the A7 was a 64 bit chip until after it came out, and they built it!

Talk about a lack of i for detail. Perhaps I should add a sarcasm tag after that one, though I would presume they would know what they were creating, but perhaps one cannot see it if the whole design is layer out for them(?) Really no idea.

But on that topic, they cannot seriously believe their 2011 phablet can be compared to the 5.5 6+ (lol, "that's a misnomer if I ever saw one"; thanks [@]Gatorguy[/@]).

World of difference there. Heck, different galaxy.
  • Reply 57 of 269
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yes, it does both, but will it recompile ARM to x86?, and visa versa?

I'm not sure of your question. It will compile source to either x86 or to ARM. But it won't convert, for example, x86 binary to ARM binary. Is that what you meant?

But that's what Rosetta2 would be for :)

• Reply 58 of 269
    gimarbazat wrote: »
    1gb of ram only???? for a phone that costs between $700 and 1000?? what do we need to wait 3 years and beg again for more ram as we did for larger screens?

If the iPhone is merely the sum of its specs. This is the reductionist philosophy that years of commodity PC parts and "intel inside" have infected the tech world with. I'm not impressed.
  • Reply 59 of 269

The specs on this page list the iPhone 6 Plus as having 2GB of RAM.  Anybody comment on the validity of this?

http://gpucpu.com/iphone-6-plus-detailed-processor-gpu-specificatios/

• Reply 60 of 269
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    1 GB sucks imo.
    The 5S is a great phone, a forward thinking phone as Apple said.
    The 6 isn't that way, it will age much faster imo. It's a great phone, but not one I'd buy, even if I needed to now. I'll wait for the 6S or the 7 and also hope that they bring back a smaller version.