PayPal questions Apple Pay security in new ad, uses iCloud celebrity photo debacle as ammunition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

Wow.. that's rich:

Paypal's parent company had a huge data breach in February & March, they didn't even notice that it happened until May. The entire system was compromised with hackers having full access to internal corporate accounts.

Paypal is also notorious habit of shutting down legitimate accounts and holding on to the cash, frequently giving the legitimate owners the run around for months. This famounsly happened to the creator of Minecraft when it was a fledgling game.

So if Apple Pay means that PayPal is going to suffer.. there won't be any tears here.

• Reply 22 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra View Post

New ad category: Panic Ads. An innovation by Samsung now adopted by PayPal.

Help me out, here. Am I missing something, or is that ad GENUINELY just the lowest form of FUD imaginable?

Am I correct in my understanding that the selfie breach was NOT an Apple-specific incident?

Do I understand correctly that Apple Pay is actually MORE secure than an actual credit card?

Is there something I'm missing about what PayPal offers that makes it somehow superior to Apple Pay?

On the face of it, if I'm understanding things correctly, PayPal is counting on a combination of fear-mongering and public ignorance to make them seem somehow superior to Apple Pay. Is that right?

Does Apple Pay even compete in PayPal's bread-and-butter space, which is person-to-person (as opposed to person-to-business) transactions? Can I pay for something I buy from Joe Schmoe on Craigslist with Apple Pay?

• Reply 23 of 143
    So pathetic.
  • Reply 23 of 143

Guess how iCloud user accounts were breached?  User passwords from non-trusted devices.  Guess what PayPal relies on for security?  User passwords from non-trusted devices.  Guess what Apple Pay will rely on for security?  Encrypted fingerprint scans from trusted devices.

Nice try PayPal.

• Reply 25 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I do, Poster 182305-15.

This is already frightening.

• Reply 26 of 143
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

What's the percent breakdown? How many of these celebrity photos were stolen from iCloud vs. Android vs. Picasa vs. Dropbox vs. Microsoft vs. Flickr vs. others? All I've seen is people falsely pretending it was Apple-specific.

And we know the Find my iPhone rate-limiting flaw (recently patched) was NOT involved.

We also know the photo thefts were not one single "leak" event at all, but years of work by a criminal network. (The "leak" was someone letting the already-stolen photos OUT of the secret network.)

And we know the Apple's TouchID based security for PayPal, with one-time tokens, is entirely unrelated to someone guessing your iCloud password or security answers because you're a celebrity worth targetting.

When you rely on lies and ignorance to prop up a terrible service, you know you're in trouble!

Having curiously clicked upon the photos, there were plenty of Android and Blackberry devices in the mix. Certainly there were iPhones, but that's not surprising. What is pretty clear is that while iCloud was targeted, so was gmail, drop box, picasa and so forth. This was not "hacking", the photos were clearly obtained by learning not just the required login but also the password.

Let's take a moment to remember the Bling Ring, a group of teenagers who sequentially robbed numerous A-List celebrity homes without ever having to do more than lift a door mat looking for a key. (Most circumstances seem to be that the houses were unlocked, with even repeatedly robbing the same homes despite the owner realising that a robbery had taken place.)

The account details for celebrities are often kept by numerous sources. For example their manager, marketing manager and PR agent. I've sat next to many relatively low-level marketing managers who are tapping away on a celebrities phone updating their various instagram and facebook statuses with their scheduled messages.

• Reply 27 of 143

Correct on all counts.  One can sense palpable fear behind snarky ads.

• Reply 28 of 143

WE THE PEOPLE

are intelligent enough to comprehend the difference

between a bad password and an

insecure server. Or, at least,

we would be if the media would stop lying

and tell us what actually happened.

?

• Reply 29 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I like Apple. I like PayPal. Apple should buy PayPal. Would make me happy.:D

You should spend a few minutes browsing http://www.paypalsucks.com

• Reply 30 of 143
    ecats wrote: »

Having curiously clicked upon the photos, there were plenty of Android and Blackberry devices in the mix.

How were they in the mix? They took the selfie, and it's visible. Do you think that those pics can't be stored in iCloud if taken by another device?
  • Reply 31 of 143
    Oh man, PayPal is right on the money. However, if they can save me the 7-or-so clicks I need to use PayPal on my iPhone versus Apple Pay with Touch ID, I'm listening.
  • Reply 32 of 143
    Quote:

What's the percent breakdown? How many of these celebrity photos were stolen from iCloud vs. Android vs. Picasa vs. Dropbox vs. Microsoft vs. Flickr vs. others? All I've seen is people falsely pretending it was Apple-specific.

https://www.nikcub.com/posts/notes-on-the-celebrity-data-theft/

Enjoy.

• Reply 33 of 143
    This is terribly ironic as 2 months ago my paypal account was hacked and roughly 6000 USD stolen. Paypal needs to look at its own weak security instead of focusing on others.
  • Reply 34 of 143
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

Ooooh another company cannot resist comparing itself to Apple in an ad.

Count Paypal among the number of worried, insecure companies that are obviously running scared of getting iHurt.

• Reply 35 of 143
    Weak.
  • Reply 36 of 143
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Considering that someone hacked/gained access to my PayPal account and bought about $2000 worth of Amazon and Ebay items and PayPal never caught it and even basically accused me of trying to scam them when I called in to report the fraud, they can take this ad and shove it. 

• Reply 37 of 143
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

And we know the Find my iPhone rate-limiting flaw (recently patched) was NOT involved.

How do we know this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

What is pretty clear is that while iCloud was targeted, so was gmail, drop box, picasa and so forth.

This is the first I've ever heard of GMail being targeted.  Do you have a source that talks more in depth about it?

• Reply 38 of 143
    Hey Pal! You scared?
  • Reply 39 of 143
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    512ke wrote: »
    Ooooh another company cannot resist comparing itself to Apple in an ad.

Count Paypal among the number of worried, insecure companies that are obviously running scared of getting iHurt.

Yep. Pathetic. I only use paypal on eBay. Small potatoes. I will gladly cancel my account and when prompted why I will reply with, "your pathetic cheap shots at Apple Pay."
  • Reply 40 of 143

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Nobody can dispute Apple's strong track record, but payments is a difficult area. It's much more difficult to do payments than to keep a live stream working!"

Hey PayPal.  Got mobile device presence?

No?

Oh well, nice knowing you.  Good luck surviving through 2016.