iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus preorder delivery dates slip as AT&T sees biggest-ever pre-sale launch

Comments

• Reply 201 of 222
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    philboogie wrote: »
    Look at the stuff gf in her bag:

Same amount of stuff a guy takes when moving house. Handy though when you need the most random of objects.

Now with phablets, they have a spare dinner tray.
    So any predictions? I'm going with 12 million, a significant jump from last years 9 million.

It's hard to say because the orders are capped by the production limits - the preorders sell out. They only have so much capacity to make the phones. If they started production around July, that gave them a 2 month lead time. Their highest quarterly volume was around 50m iPhones. With a 2 month lead time, they might be able to go as high as 30m iPhones in inventory but remember there was an article saying they check initial batches for any widespread defects so they probably do a more limited rollout to start with to make sure there's nothing major wrong and then ramp it up afterwards.

Apple reported record preorders but no number so 12m seems reasonable:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101958650

They have a poll on that site too asking what people ordered and out of over 32000 votes, it says 25% iPhone 6 and 24% iPhone 6+.
  • Reply 202 of 222
    What I find really frustrating is I took the time to PRE-ORDER and I have to wait a few weeks and people who stand in line the day of get to walk away with one and to me that is really CRAPPY CRAPPY customer service as pre order means you should get yours first as that is what pre order means!

AT&T ALWAYS has issues and because of these issues they could care less if it takes 2 years to get your product! I will NEVER NEVER EVER order from AT&T again when a new phone comes out! They really are a bad company to order product as Apple is giving people vouchers to get their phone at the store! AT&T could do the same thing or give some sort of credit for a case or something for the goof up as it was their mistake as I was on their site at 2am and it kept messing up and that is NOT my fault!

WAKE UP AT&T AND GET IT TOGETHER!!
  • Reply 203 of 222
    Marvin wrote: »
    Apple reported record preorders but no number so 12m seems reasonable:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101958650

They have a poll on that site too asking what people ordered and out of over 32000 votes, it says 25% iPhone 6 and 24% iPhone 6+.

9>5 said they ordered 80 million:

http://************/2014/09/12/att-boasts-record-breaking-iphone-sales-following-first-night-of-preorders/

Get off it AI, whitelist ninetofivemac.com. This tactic is on par with Samsung. You're better than that. They themselves state their source in an article if it came from you. Credit where credit is due (or something like that)
  • Reply 204 of 222
    felixer wrote: »
    Bitter much?

Yes, much. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 205 of 222
    solipsismx wrote: »

I don't believe that's a valid argument in an open forum.

Um... It's alright to ask a poster a question and expect to get an answer from him/her, even in an open forum. Unless the other person responding is their proxy, or knows their reasoning. And unless you're the expert on all things 'open forum.'
  • Reply 206 of 222
    Poppycock. Look at the stuff gf in her bag:

Weird, cause her bag like this:

That's not a clutch.
  • Reply 207 of 222
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    As in past years employees can reserve one iPhone for themselves, but this year only the iPhone 6 and not the 6+. That serves as further evidence that the 6+ is in short supply. FWIW Kuo had come to the same conclusion well before the actual launch IIRC, guessing it might be November before it became widely available.
  • Reply 208 of 222
    Um... It's alright to ask a poster a question and expect to get an answer from him/her, even in an open forum. Unless the other person responding is their proxy, or knows their reasoning. And unless you're the expert on all things 'open forum.'

There is nothing wrong with asking someone a specific question that you think pertains only to them and expecting them to replay to you, but if you others respond it shouldn't be surprising. ANYTHING I ask of someone, no matter how specific to that individual it may seem, can he answered by anyone else because it's an open forum. For example, [@]PhilBoogie[/@] mentioned on Friday(?) that he wouldn't be posting for a couple days. I inquired as to what he will be doing. It was specific to him but if anyone else wanted to chime in with a comment about what they were doing I would have been interested to know. I guess what I'm saying is want to read comments from those who desire to contribute. People like you!
  • Reply 209 of 222
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As in past years employees can reserve one iPhone for themselves, but this year only the iPhone 6 and not the 6+. That serves as further evidence that the 6+ is in short supply. FWIW Kuo had come to the same conclusion well before the actual launch IIRC, guessing it might be November before it became widely available.

1) In the past there was just one new iPhone, sans the 5C last year which was then 2 year old tech.

2) The limitation only appears to be for employees that work after midnight and start before noon on Friday, but they can still queue for the 6+ or order online. That strikes me as a weird limitation since I can't see how that would greatly impact supply which means I'm missing something.

• Reply 210 of 222

There is nothing wrong with asking someone a specific question that you think pertains only to them and expecting them to replay to you, but if you others respond it shouldn't be surprising. ANYTHING I ask of someone, no matter how specific to that individual it may seem, can he answered by anyone else because it's an open forum. For example, [@]PhilBoogie[/@] mentioned on Friday(?) that he wouldn't be posting for a couple days. I inquired as to what he will be doing. It was specific to him but if anyone else wanted to chime in with a comment about what they were doing I would have been interested to know. I guess what I'm saying is want to read comments from those who desire to contribute. People like you!

I agree here; there's no reason to dislike if someone else chimes in on a question popped to someone else. You could've ignored it Anant...

%2e

And earlier:
    SolipsismX
    "Use hexcode %2e in place of a period in the URL to trick Huddler."

Yup, thanks for the reminder. I just think it's unnecessary to block it. It's a free world, America being a free country, and blocking a site that quotes their source back yo this site is 'just not done'. IMO. Doesn't matter if it's Hurdle(!) or AI. IMO.
  • Reply 211 of 222
    I just think it's unnecessary to block it. It's a free world, America being a free country, and blocking a site that quotes their source back yo this site is 'just not done'. IMO. Doesn't matter if it's Hurdle(!) or AI. IMO.

1) I agree that's in unnecessary, especially why they allow macrumors to be linked which is say is inarguably more of a competitor. So why that one site? Maybe they just don't care enough to change it or have a beef with the 9to5mac guy (forgot his name).

2) The U.S. is a "free" countey which gives the owners of AI the right to block whomever they wish, providing it doesn't fall into certain categories. Regardless of how I feel about this annoyance they do have the right.
  • Reply 212 of 222
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It’s a free world, America being a free country…

That’s not how it works.

• Reply 213 of 222
    ^ post

1) Weird huh? Oh, Seth Weintraub http://9to5mac.com/author/sethweintraub/

2) Well, yeah, that was dumb of me; of course they are free to do that as well. Guess I can only make a joke about 'free' now:

"I rather overpay that not having the chance to buy"
  • Reply 214 of 222

Can any one tell me if in previous iPhone launches has apple or the various carriers tended to beat the ship dates? If I they said 1-4 weeks, does history say they're closer to 4 weeks or closer to 1? 

• Reply 215 of 222
    angrymetal wrote: »
    Can any one tell me if in previous iPhone launches has apple or the various carriers tended to beat the ship dates? If I they said 1-4 weeks, does history say they're closer to 4 weeks or closer to 1? 

I received my iPad 1 a day before it was released in the shops.

I have also had deliveries from Apple earlier than stated.
  • Reply 216 of 222

thanks. had to order via phone with T-mobile Friday and they told me 1-4 weeks. Was wondering how to set my expectations...

• Reply 217 of 222
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to put their two cents in on my question as to how to deal with "accidentally" ordering a 128GB phone for my wife and a 64GB for me--and how to switch them.
    First answer, by iaeen, wins. I ended up calling AT&T once the traffic died down and they said all I have to do is activate the big phone with my number and it will all be ok. No SIM switching or IMEI games. They have two lines locked up for another 2 years, that is all they care about, apparently.

Works for me and my massive storage!!:smokey:
    iaeen wrote: »
    All the carrier cares about is that they get you locked into contracts. You can swap phones all you want.

eriamjh wrote: »
    I believe you have to activate both as received FIRST and then you can switch the SIMs afterwards.

zeromeus wrote: »

If you're on Verizon, then it matters.  If you're on Sprint, that matters, too!  But if you're on AT&T, then you're good.  Just switch the SIMs and you're good to go.

popinfresh wrote: »
    This depends on which carrier you are using. As noted previously, you will need to go through the initial activation which will complete the on-hold transfer of service that is pending on the carrier network (or you can call the carrier and have them try to remove the on-hold process, but that is way more of a pain). Once you have done this you can simply swap the SIM card if you are using AT&T or T-mobile as your phone number is tied to the SIM. If you are using Verizon or Sprint you will need to call them and have them swap the ESN and IMEI's of the phones and then switch the SIM cards. I would also note that even if you are on AT&T or T-mobile, I would still call them and have them update the IMEI in their system so that the correct device is reflected in your online accounts, as well as avoiding random issues with text messages (not iMessage) being delayed or lost on the network.

-PopinFRESH
  • Reply 218 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Thanks to everyone who took the time to put their two cents in on my question as to how to deal with "accidentally" ordering a 128GB phone for my wife and a 64GB for me--and how to switch them.

First answer, by iaeen, wins. I ended up calling AT&T once the traffic died down and they said all I have to do is activate the big phone with my number and it will all be ok. No SIM switching or IMEI games. They have two lines locked up for another 2 years, that is all they care about, apparently.

Works for me and my massive storage!!image

You will see on Friday (or thursday maybe) that this is incorrect and you will need to swap the SIM. When you pre-order the phones it creates an on-hold activation with the SIM and IMEI of that device already tied to the number it was ordered on. There is no "activating it on your number". It's already pre-activated and on-hold. The second page of the initial setup with automatically activate the device from that on-hold activation. The SIM that is in the phone is already tied to the line it was ordered on (unless you call and jump through 1000 hoops to have them remove the on-hold activation, and even then they will probably mess it up and you will have to go to a store and get a new SIM). Hopefully you avoid really jacking up your iCloud by incorrectly thinking they will activate on a different number than what they were ordered under.

Simple process to avoid any headaches and swap your phones so you end up with the 128GB and your wife with the 64GB.

1) Open boxes and go through initial setup like your wife was getting the 128GB and you were getting the 64GB (how they were ordered).

-this will auto-activate them on the line they were ordered on, remove the on-hold activation, and accept the ToS thus completing the upgrade. As a note you can skip signing into any iCloud or AppleID's during this initial setup, Do not put your iCloud account on the 128GB during this process or it will link your wifes number to your iCloud account! I worked for AT&T during several iPhone launches and am very familiar with how their system works and how the pre-ordered phones get processed on the back-end system.

2) Swap the SIM cards and reset the phones.

-Physically swap the SIM cards and under Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings and confirm you want to erase all content and settings. This should only take a few seconds and then the phones will be reset to go back through the initial setup again.

3) Go through the initial setup again, now that both phones and SIM cards have been activated and the on-hold activation have been completed.

-Go through setup and this time sign-in with your AppleID's and iCloud Accounts (yours on the 128GB and hers on the 64GB).

4) Enjoy your "mistake" of a 128GB iPhone and you are all done!

-However I would still call AT&T and have them update your IMEI's to the correct line. If you don't do this it's not the end of the world, however it can cause issues sometimes with normal SMS messages (texts) being delayed or dropped on a tower because of the IMEI mismatch.

Anyway, Hopefully you follow this simple and quick process to avoid a much bigger headache of getting your phone numbers all jacked up and tied to each others iCloud accounts. Good Luck and enjoy your phones.

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 219 of 222

yes you are allowed to cancel! go to a "core" AT&T store. explain that you cannot cancel your preorder online, and that you get disconnected every time you try discussing the issue on the phone with an actual person. have them call for you. yes, you will still wait about 30 minutes on hold, the core AT&T employee should identify herself as a core employee to the person on the other end of the phone - and introduce you and your issue before handing off the phone to you to get your preorder cancelled. you will eventually be given the opportunity to cancel your order ... after they try to talk you out of it one more time. i ordered 1 hour after they went on sale on the 12th (only because the online apple store and apple apps were not working), once i received confirmation (the next day) that delivery would be in november, i cancelled on the 13th as mentioned above. hopefully even if it takes a week or so to get it locally standing in line every day, that is still a month earlier than AT&Ts preorder option. good luck! 8-) 

• Reply 220 of 222

I canceled my 6+ order yesterday by calling the 800 #.  But I ordered through AT&T.