Apple creates dedicated portal for users to remove unwanted U2 album

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

The millennials have really poor taste in music. Of course they have no interest in this...

Modern music is massively more varied, diverse and interesting than music from any decade previous.  That statement has been true of every decade since pop music began, and will probably be true of every decade to come for the foreseeable future.  U2 are old hat, were pretty old hat when they emerged, and are unlikely to be anything other than old hat at any time near present.

• Reply 62 of 112
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    applezilla wrote: »
    Wah! I got a free album, that doesn't take up data in my iCloud account, and did I mention it was free.

Somebody hold me...

It's definitely the worst thing that happened since ISIS. Worse than ISIS. It's been a terrible year but free music which specifically doesn't download to most devices is the worst thing that's happened this year. Probably the worst thing since the gulags.
    inkling wrote: »
    Alas, no. I actually think they're still living in the world of the 1970s, when California was the Golden State.  At one time California did many things right, investing in dams and aqueducts rather than now being inordinately proud of plastic bag bans or purging tiny traces of chemicals in their products.

It's called chauvinism, meaning being for a region but indifferent to or ignorant of its problems. Like Tim Cook, I grew up in Alabama and never understood why Southerners could be proud of a bloody, destructive and lost war to defend slavery. Tim Cook's Apple is like that about California. One wonders why anyone can be proud of a state where most children will have blighted lives thanks to a dreadful public school system. "Ah," you say, "but their kids go to pricey private schools or untypical public ones." Exactly.

G. K. Chesterton, almost one of the "inkling" writers of my handle, described British chauvinism as being those who said, "my mother, drunk or sober," as if the difference didn't matter. Much the same is true of California's coastal elite. It's enough for them that they're not living in Kansas or, still worse, gun-toting Texas.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">They are, for a time, sheltered from the state's many ills. In fact, one characteristic of liberal cities such as San Francisco is that they have so few families with children, so few genuinely middle and working class people. and so few minorities such as blacks and Hispanics. The California of the coastal elite doesn't look like California, much less America or the world. That why Obama, with his weirder than weird history, seems to them to be black.</span>

Is there not a political site on which you could bore people to tears. Because this is a technology site.
    crowley wrote: »
    Go boil your head.  Modern music is massively more varied, diverse and interesting than music from any decade previous.  That statement has been true of every decade since pop music began, and will probably be true of every decade to come for the foreseeable future.  U2 are old hat, were pretty old hat when they emerged, and are unlikely to be anything other than old hat at any time near present.

Simon Cowell was saying the exact same thing on the British xfactor this weekend.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    malax wrote: »
    In retrospect, I think Apple would agree that the way they rolled this out was a mistake.  They got hooked on the idea that they could make the new album "the most owned album in the history of the world" (or whatever phrasing they used).  It would have been just as easy to put the album on iTunes with a price of zero and just tell people about it.  But they must have believed this "push" to 500 million people would be newsworthy.  Unfortunately it was for all the wrong reasons.
    Don't you get it? Bono is not the record holder. He's the record. :D
  • Reply 64 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'd prefer if Apple let us swap it for something we like, I'm thinking the Max Bruch violin concerto in Gm played by Christian Ferras. If you haven't heard it I thoroughly recommend it. This from someone that used to play in a rock band. :smokey:
  • Reply 65 of 112
    My first thought was...I don't like U2. But so what? I really don't understand all the people getting butt-hurt over this. Would you whine if your grandmother gave you that sweater that she likes, but you don't think it matches your style? Would you demand that she remove it from your closet at once? Why not just say THANKS and keep on moving. Maybe the next gift you receive will be something you want. If you can't be a little bit gracious, maybe you should use that new iPhone as a proctoscope.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    Quote Person 1:

I don't like U2

Quote Person 2:

Me neither, I wish Apple had given us music that I like 

Quote Person 3:

I don't even know who U2 are, I just wish I didn't have to hide unwanted music from my library, like any normal person would want to if they didn't know/like the music.

Quote Person U2/Apple:

OMG, stops you're wining!  Its a gift!  Gets over it!  

Quote Person U2/Apple 2:

WHINING

Quote Person U2/Apple n:

WHINING

• Reply 67 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

My first thought was...I don't like U2. But so what? I really don't understand all the people getting butt-hurt over this. Would you whine if your grandmother gave you that sweater that she likes, but you don't think it matches your style? Would you demand that she remove it from your closet at once? Why not just say THANKS and keep on moving. Maybe the next gift you receive will be something you want. If you can't be a little bit gracious, maybe you should use that new iPhone as a proctoscope.

My sentiments exactly.  I was just about to write a similar scenario but you beat me to the punch.  Geez, seems a bit ungrateful to me.....

• Reply 68 of 112

This is the problem with companies that think that all their customers like everything they like.

• Reply 69 of 112

Wo there Nelly People are Whining about getting a free album.. i seem to remember being gleeful and seeking out this album and spending about 15 minutes working out how to get it. as unlike the hype it didn't automatically download onto any of my devices. eventually I found a website that explained how to get it.. Because i was looking everywhere but the location it was. 

Is it me or are Kids these days so ungrateful for anything. its probably that when I grew up I was shown respect and "Taught to respect".  

I advise if one of your children are one of the ones that are disrespectful of this gift its about time that you grab them put them over your knee and spank the living daylights out of them right up until the point that they learn respect.

• Reply 70 of 112
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Right, except my grandmother is not a multinational corporation. She didn't sneak into my house and put the sweater in my closet and she doesn't dictate what clothes can or cannot  be removed from my closet or prevent it from being returned to the department store for exchange. She also did not put the same exact sweater in the closet of everyone in the family regardless of age, size or gender. And most importantly she would not do any of that as a marketing campaign to try to get money from us by advertising her knitting store on the Internet.

I didn't receive the download but I still think it is wrong.

• Reply 71 of 112

They may've thought themselves generous to provide this album to all iTunes users, but I speculate that they had very down-to-earth reasons for creating the removal page. Because it was difficult to remove--and difficult to know exactly how to block its auto-download--Apple Support got a lot of calls/emails. They'll have enough to handle this week as new products become available. It's poor timing to lose support staff to addressing what should have been preventable, or easily handled by the user.

• Reply 72 of 112
    Quote:

I really don't understand all the people getting butt-hurt over this.

Then why did it cause a paragraph worth of butt-hurt for you?

• Reply 73 of 112

It is never wise to look a gift horse in the mouth.

In any case one could delete any music that is not wanted by deleting it and putting it firmly in the trash. 

I have done so many times for duplicates but don't doubt that this procedure will work for any music that is no longer wanted.

I seriously wonder what all this fuss is about? If you don't like the gift then bin it. If it leaves you indifferent, like it does me, accept it and loose it amongst the hundreds of other albums you no doubt have in your library. 

• Reply 74 of 112
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

Hmm I don't think it's fair to start bashing people for complaining about this.

Apple sold us out. Don't forget a lot of money changed hands here, both sides see this as a marketing exercise, it's not something done out the goodness of there hearts.

The way this was done was deliberate. As part of the agreement every iTunes user gets this in there library if you want it or not, that's part of the deal, apple took advantage of there position to be able to do that.

That's odd because when I heard about it, I went to my library and it wasn't there. Turns out I had to go and get it from my purchased list. 

Of all the nonsense that Apple marketing exercises or goof-ups generate, this has been the most hilarious.

I've seen people complaining that they feel they've been raped.

I've seen people complaining that Apple has violated their device – and forgetting to remove the tag that says 'posted from Android.'

What we haven't seen is comments from the thirty-three million who said 'Ooh, free stuff' and got on with their lives.

Jeez, talk about a first world problem.

• Reply 75 of 112
    paxman wrote: »
    That is not a satisfactory solution imo. The day Apple feels they can populate my inbox, iTunes account, iCloud space, iBooks etc with content just because it is free is the day that Apple truly is doomed. Seriously. Not that I am worried it will ever happen.

It was just an offer to download it for free. Not exactly 'forced upon'. If the 1000 was an annoyance you could hide it, through a setting on Apple.com

More to the point, what I would like is the ability to log into my Music Match collection at the server end and select tracks, albums or artists to hide. I can choose not to see them on my iPhone or in iTunes, but more than that I'd like not to have to rifle through them when I shuffle my libraries / song lists around. This has become a problem because my family shares a single iTunes music / books / apps account. It saves us money but there is now a lot of junk there (kids). Hopefully the new iCloud family feature will help resolve this.

So you didn't like the features a Family account gave you, yet still used that anyway because it was cheaper? Wow.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It was just an offer to download it for free. Not exactly 'forced upon'. If the was an annoyance you could hide it, through a setting on Apple.com

Which is something that non-U2 fans didn't have to do before this stunt.

That's all really, it was never a big deal, but since we're told that Apple sweats the details to give the best customer experience, when they do something that put a lot of their customers out it gets attention.  That's what happens when you put yourself on a pedestal.  I'm sure they've learned their lesson, pretty much all of the press I've seen around this giveaway has been negative about the hubris.

• Reply 77 of 112
    crowley wrote: »
    Which is something that non-U2 fans didn't have to do before this stunt.

That's all really, it was never a big deal, but since we're told that Apple sweats the details to give the best customer experience, when they do something that put a lot of their customers out it gets attention.  That's what happens when you put yourself on a pedestal.  I'm sure they've learned their lesson, pretty much all of the press I've seen around this giveaway has been negative about the hubris.

Indeed, not really a big deal. Then again, with all i's on Apple, their products, manufacturing and advertisement under the loop I think everything will get press, good and bad. No amount of resources at Apple, Inc. can get this to change. They may have 'all the money in the world', there will never be a thing they do that will please all. Simply because all people are unique and their views are unique (just like everybody else lol)

Haven't read 'the news' yet, so didn't know there was a lot of bad press on this issue out there. So, thanks.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    Quote -

"The problem is when more than a dozen, unwanted songs pollute your song list without your approval or action."

Exactly, and also, as another poster said: Quote -

"Because it's crap music by an equally crappy band." Another reason is that many people may be close to or at the limit of their capacity. This should not be forced on customers, just give us the option. Very poor judgement here, Tim.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

This is absurd. How lazy are people that they can't remove the album themselves and need Apple to create a website to do it?

Because many people may be near or at the limit of their capacity, for one.

• Reply 80 of 112
    Apple has decided to add something to my music collection without my authority or express consent and only a few people can see that it's a worrying precedent. First U2 then Britney!!!!
    As mentioned by others what was wrong in setting the cost to zero and allowing all those who actually wanted that pile of crap to get it.