Apple Pay sparks inter-bank battle to be consumers' default choice

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    Exactly, I definitely want to be able to choose a default card. I use my Discover card for the vast majority of my purchases. I want to be able to set it as my default card and use it most of the time. If I want to use a different card, then I can go in and choose that card when I need to use it. I don't want to have to take those extra steps to pick a card each and every time I pay for something.

I'd like a more sophisticated solution to be adopted next year.

I tend to use different cards with different retailers, which is almost always based on the points obtained from shopping at different type of companies. For this reason I'd like my default card to be retailer type and/or retailer name specific. Something you can basically favorite based on either of those criteria for places you frequent. They could even make is location specific, like with Passbook, but I personally can't think of a scenario where that would be beneficial for me.
  • Reply 22 of 165

Chase has been very aggressive in promoting Apple Pay. OMG! Emails and when I log in I get a chase Apple Pay screen. 

• Reply 23 of 165
    IMO, the most significant [Apple] announcements in 2014 (so far):
    1. ApplePay
    2. New Openness of Apple and Developer SDKs
    3. AppleWatch
    4. iPhone 6
    5. IBM Apple deal
    6. Swift / Xcode 6

You could argue between 3 and 4 -- the iP6 is the lubrication ($ and scale) that make it all work -- but, I believe that iWatch will have a greater impact over the long term -- making it ridiculousy easy to buy things with ApplePay.

And, we ain't seen nothin' yet!

1) I think I'd put Swift higher on the list even though we really don't know the long-term benefits of it at this point as it only just reached version 1.0 status.

2) ?Pay is definitely number 1. In fact, I'd start the rest at number 5 to show just how amazing I think ?Pay is going to be.
  • Reply 24 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I believe that iWatch will have a greater impact over the long term -- making it ridiculousy easy to buy things with ApplePay.

I'm wondering how it will work when using ?Pay with the ?Watch.

There's no TouchID on the ?Watch, and Apple didn't get into any details about how exactly one would pay using their ?Watch.

• Reply 25 of 165
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Chase has been very aggressive in promoting Apple Pay. OMG! Emails and when I log in I get a chase Apple Pay screen. 

When there is a secure solution for payments that will save you tens of millions per year in lowered fraud claims (and potentially push some of the financial burden off to Apple if there is a ?Pay-specific breach) it behooves you to shove this down as many customers throats as possible.
  • Reply 26 of 165
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

NFC was such a huge success before Apple /s

Yeah I can't understand how I could possibly have 3 NFC equipped cards in my wallet without Apple being involved /s

• Reply 27 of 165
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm wondering how it will work when using ?Pay with the ?Watch.

There's no TouchID on the ?Watch, and Apple didn't get into any details about how exactly one would pay using their ?Watch.

1) I read that it will be slightly different. Most of it is the same but there will be a PIN you have to input after putting the watch on in order to activate ?Pay. Because of the sensors facing the wrist this will lockout ?Pay as soon as it's removed. Whether you have to use the PIN every time you make a purchase or whether they feel that is safe enough (certainly more safe than a CC in your wallet) I don't yet know.

2) Since the ?Watch doesn't have a camera — thankfully! — and the digital crown would be a pain for inputting your card data I assume you do need an iPhone 6/6+ for adding the card data that will then be sent to the Secure Element on the ?Watch via BT or ad-hoc WiFi (but definitely through iCloud) via the ?Pay app on the 6/6+.
  • Reply 28 of 165
    14 April 2014 it will only be possible to use Google Wallet to make an NFC payment using a device that supports host card emulation (HCE). %u201CDevices with Android versions older than Android 4.4 (Kitkat) will no longer be supported for tap and pay,%u201D Google says.
  • Reply 29 of 165
    cnocbui wrote: »

Yeah I can't understand how I could possibly have 3 NFC equipped cards in my wallet without Apple being involved /s

1) NFC ? RFID.

2) So these "NFC" cards you have in your wallet. You had the multinationals, banks, and retailers all scrambling to support NFC for years now, eh? What country do you live in? Clearly not the US.
  • Reply 30 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Easy..

Google Wallet, when it came out, used to allow you to direct charge a default CC.. not 'load' your Google Wallet account THEN use that cash.. Google stopped that, forcing you to load your GW account first.. no direct CC charging..

People don't want to commit cash to an account they can only use sometimes.. The day they did that, I deleted Google Wallet.

Ummm, that's not how it works anymore. I can direct charge my CC now with Google Wallet. I just did it this morning about an hour ago. You have the choice to use what's on the virtual MasterCard or direct charge whatever CC you have loaded.

• Reply 31 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wait, what? They did this? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm going to repeat my mantra on Google:

That's Google alright. For a stupid company they sure do dumb things.

And here is another piece of stupidity for Google wallet, 

it will only be possible to use Google Wallet to make an NFC payment using a device that supports host card emulation (HCE). “Devices with Android versions older than Android 4.4 (Kitkat) will no longer be supported for tap and pay,” Google says.

How many devices are on KitKat 4.4 again?

I'll answer that for you less than 10%

• Reply 32 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wait, what? They did this? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm going to repeat my mantra on Google:

That's Google alright. For a stupid company they sure do dumb things.

Well, that guy was wrong about everything he said. 

• Reply 33 of 165
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    HOLY COWW!!

I was just explaining to a "Apple-hasn't-innovated-in-years" Fandroid how ApplePay is the Next Big Thing.

This aggressive marketing takes it to a whole 'nother level!!

This is Apple's real next game changer.
  • Reply 34 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Exactly.  Google has been bragging about its Google Wallet since its introduction in 2011 and boasting about how almost every Android smartphone has NFC chips, and Android major market share and how Apple is so far behind.  You'd think Google Wallet would have dominated the whole mobile payment market by now.  No.  And Google is too busy talking about how Apple Pay is going to be a huge failure because it's not cross-platform or something of the sort.  Google thinks it's better to have 100 brands of smartphones with 300 carriers updating their smartphones whenever they're good and ready, to be the consumer choice for mobile payment security.  At least if Apple messes up it will be easier to track down any security breach.  Well, with Google Wallet at least Google can claim they were the first with mobile payments like they always do even if hardly anyone uses it.  I'm willing to bet when Apple Pay becomes available, within six months, mobile payments with smartphones will increase tenfold over what they are now.

Then Google will do a big "Me, too" and start yelling about how large Android market share is so they have the greatest advantage.  Cue the analysts chiming in about how Apple will quickly lose mobile payment market share to Android (despite Google Wallet doing almost nothing to boost mobile payments for a few years years).  After all, every Wall Street discussion starts and ends with market share.  Gosh, what a bunch of freaking idiots.

Add to that Google wallet on works on KitKat 4.4 which is less than 10% of Android installed base. 

• Reply 36 of 165
    paul94544 wrote: »

it will only be possible to use Google Wallet to make an NFC payment using a device that supports host card emulation (HCE). “Devices with Android versions older than Android 4.4 (Kitkat) will no longer be supported for tap and pay,” Google says.

Uhm, not even going to comment on that. Except for: thanks for enlightening me.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    paul94544 wrote: »

TahaHaHAHAHA!!

Google is selling millions of Kit Kats a year.
    Apple is selling ZERO iPhone 6's a year.

/Ballmer
  • Reply 38 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Exactly.  Google has been bragging about its Google Wallet since its introduction in 2011 and boasting about how almost every Android smartphone has NFC chips, and Android major market share and how Apple is so far behind.  You'd think Google Wallet would have dominated the whole mobile payment market by now.  No.  And Google is too busy talking about how Apple Pay is going to be a huge failure because it's not cross-platform or something of the sort.  Google thinks it's better to have 100 brands of smartphones with 300 carriers updating their smartphones whenever they're good and ready, to be the consumer choice for mobile payment security.  At least if Apple messes up it will be easier to track down any security breach.  Well, with Google Wallet at least Google can claim they were the first with mobile payments like they always do even if hardly anyone uses it.  I'm willing to bet when Apple Pay becomes available, within six months, mobile payments with smartphones will increase tenfold over what they are now.

Then Google will do a big "Me, too" and start yelling about how large Android market share is so they have the greatest advantage.  Cue the analysts chiming in about how Apple will quickly lose mobile payment market share to Android (despite Google Wallet doing almost nothing to boost mobile payments for a few years years).  After all, every Wall Street discussion starts and ends with market share.  Gosh, what a bunch of freaking idiots.

Can you please provide any credence of this claim? A link? Quote? Anything? No, you can't because Google has never said this. Let's please talk about facts and not made up stuff. Thanks.

• Reply 39 of 165

This is going to be a big deal for the banks.  I'm currently with HSBC, and I'm already pissed off with them for various reasons.  If they don't support Apple Pay quickly, it'll be the straw that breaks the camels back, and I'll move banks.

Apple are making the banks compete, which is a great thing.

• Reply 40 of 165
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Google is selling millions of Kit Kats a year.

Apple is selling ZERO iPhone 6's a year.

Aww, that’s cute. You actually believe this.