Apple to limit iPhone 6 NFC to Apple Pay, restrict developer access

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It's not about privacy. It is about Apple not letting you use Google Wallet or PayPal or whatever Verizon's NFC payment system is. By not letting you use any of those other NFC payment services, it is anti-competitive. 

I have to agree with your statements and this is why I think they are careful to say for a year. However privicacy might not be the right word to use here, it could rather be an issue of security. I can see Apple denying access to Pay Pal and Google if they see a security problem with their approaches.

The reality is this, a poorly written or conceived app is a huge threat for Apple and the consumers perception that Apple is keeping them secure. This is probably the one thing that Apple would have leverage with if they had to keep any one system off the platform. Frankly you can't trust Google at all here so I see it being a very long time before Google has access to the NFC system.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Enjoy your lies.

It isn't so much a lie as it is reacting to the reality that all it takes is somebody getting a bug up their ass and wanting to cause Apple trouble. It could be some clerk at the FTC, a VP at PayPal or somebody's grandma. Once someone in the federal government sees an opportunity to take a complaint and run with it to advance their pay grade, Apple could have significant pressure to open up the system. This if they don't demonstrate the intention to open up the system at a later date.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

So were is the bulging camera on the picture?

On the opposite side.  The lens isn't seen due to the angle the phone is sitting.  Bulgegate is stupid since a massive percentage of people use cases anyway.  Add a case, it's not bulging anymore.  Done.

• Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagen Kirk View Post

On the opposite side.  The lens isn't seen due to the angle the phone is sitting.  Bulgegate is stupid since a massive percentage of people use cases anyway.  Add a case, it's not bulging anymore.  Done.

I don't use cases. 

• Reply 45 of 64
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

so basically it has no NFC, just a payment system. been saying it for a bit now, iOS has become a platform suitable only for the most submissive of people... or just technologically ignorant.

Did you come up with that mindless troll-line being used since the original iPhone (actually, since the existence of Apple) all by yourself?

Also, "has become"? Because iOS used to be SO much more robust and flexible, and is just getting more locked down and losing functionality with each version, right? 3rd party keyboards, app extensions, etc- Apple is really bunkering down!

Seriously, I can't even begin to comprehend the stupid in your post. 

• Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSmoke View Post

I smell an antitrust suit on the horizon.

er, no. 

• Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

so basically it has no NFC, just a payment system. been saying it for a bit now, iOS has become a platform suitable only for the most submissive of people... or just technologically ignorant.

guess what, buddy? thats the goal of technology -- to get out of the way and make the lives easier of normal people.

self-anointed techno-priests like yourself are a joke. you arent that important.

• Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

I don't use cases.

Congratulations.  Want a cookie?

• Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagen Kirk View Post

Congratulations.  Want a cookie?

Nah, I just baked a fresh homemade batch myself. Thanks for the offer tho, I appreciate it. 

• Reply 50 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Makes sense, get the dust shaken out with real world experience before expanding the load.

• Reply 51 of 64
    I can't use my Visa card at terminals/merchants that only accept Mastercard. How dare Mastercard make a system that only accepts their own cards and not my Visa.

That's not Mastercard's fault, it's on the merchant.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

*** looking at the GlobalPlatform alliance members that Apple recently joined, I couldn't find one major German company listed other than Infineon.

I don't think it matters whether or not German companies are members of the standards organization. They may still use the products that are built around it.

Next time you're out, look at payment terminals and see if they display the logo. If they do, the iPhone will work as a payment device.

• Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

it would be nice to see the Apple pay system record your transactions.

My hope is for an app that does automatically what I'm too lazy to do manually: track everything I buy with when/where I bought it and how much I paid.

For example, a few items we use are MUCH cheaper at Costco, but it's a hassle to make the trip there so we don't do it very often. Are we buying enough laundry soap and toilet paper to justify the cost of membership?

Every time I make a shopping list I forget something. It would be nice to have an app that knows how often we buy coffee filters, and when that amount of time elapses it asks if I want to add it to my shopping list. I could even let it compile most of the list automatically and just edit out what we don't need and add what it didn't know about. It would take a while for it to "learn" enough about our shopping habits to be really useful, but it would be worth it.

I'm sure there are other uses for a purchase tracking system I haven't even thought of. It's the kind of thing a database programmer could write pretty easily, assuming one could nail down a list of required reports. I'm just not prepared to manually enter every item on every receipt every time I shop. If the integration with the POS system went further than just processing the payment, the labour-intensive part of the process could be done for me.

• Reply 54 of 64
    Aren't they just going to wait till IPad has it and put it into IOS 9 or 8.1?
  • Reply 55 of 64
    [@]wizard69[/@] - Just a question to your post above regarding "access to the TouchiD system".

Curious to know if Apple is "opening it up" or just allowing other Apps to use TouchID as a positive identifier in place of 2-factor authentication. Meaning a username/password + TouchID authorization for App or website access.

This would seem a likely and secure combo for desktop web logins as well, due to Continuity and keychain sync.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Apps, Multi-tasking and use of the camera (among other functions) first started life on the iPhone exclusively reserved for Apple and a select few partners like Google, Yahoo etc.

Later, along came 3rd party apps, true multitasking and camera access.

Notifications have just been opened up to 3rd parties, and hot off the press is the news that TouchID has also been opened up.

Patience, pilgrims, patience is the key...
  • Reply 57 of 64

Wow! Less than an hours drive from my favourite town, Nuremburg. Great beer, awesome food. Enjoy it all Doc!
    Not like this adds anything relevant to the topic... just to point out how backwards banks are here.

Oh yeah, the topic. Well, I don't have anything to ad, but did want to let you know I presumed as much.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    philboogie wrote: »
    Wow! Less than an hours drive from my favourite town, Nuremburg. Great beer, awesome food. Enjoy it all Doc!
    Oh yeah, the topic. Well, I don't have anything to ad, but did want to let you know I presumed as much.

Not sure if you missed the part: that "Kontoauszug" does not belong to me, and is a linked image I found with image search.

Through out all the years, I've only had a sprinkling of clients south of Frankfurt, with the vast majority being in the north from Bremen, Hamburg to Rostock. Has a lot to do with the competence of some of the account executives I've worked with ;) I've concentrated locally in recent years, within the magical triangle of Cologne, Mainz, Trier.

As you said though, Bavaria is a great destination no matter what town or city you visit... and yes, the food and beer is incredible!

HOWEVER... no other city compares to the multi-culti tolerance, flair and "Every Day is Carnival" atmosphere of Cologne! And the local "Sweet Water" aka Kölsch served appropriately in a tall thin water glass, will bring the biggest beer-chugger to his knees in no time. Just ask the British contingent that landed in Cologne during the World Cup 2006... if any of them even have memory of it... :D
  • Reply 59 of 64
    ^ post

Oops, Kontoauszug went totally past me. But good of you to use an online image rather than your personal information.

Ah, Cologne! Love that city as well. Only been there twice, but wow; a must see for those who haven't yet. And Leverkusen!
  • Reply 60 of 64
    philboogie wrote: »
    Oops, Kontoauszug went totally past me. But good of you to use an online image rather than your personal information.

Ah, Cologne! Love that city as well. Only been there twice, but wow; a must see for those who haven't yet. [

B]And Leverkusen[/B]!

Cute "little town" that only the Chemical Brothers... and the ever-hopeful-of-a-league-title Bayer 04 football fans could love.... :p

Warning: good thing you didn't mention "Douchedorf"!!!!